High-end headphones to pair with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX

TheMightyGranny
Go to solution Solved by jacobffeldman,

if you feel like going with some sennhieser's, dont get the hd650's get the hd600's because the only difference between them is a small filter in the back of the hd600's that chokes the driver, therefor prohibiting the sound. This filter can easily be removed just using a standard screwdriver. There is a thread on another forum discussing this modification (http://www.head-fi.org/t/23833/removing-the-foam-from-hd600/105)

Hey guys.

I'm currently looking for a pair of high-end'ish headphones. My budget is around 500 $ or 370 €. I have been looking around, and found some beyerdynamics but also some sennheisers. It doesn't matter if they're open or closed, as long as it's an upgrade from my Bose AE2.

Custom one pro's, not your budget but they are really nice

Any headphone with an impedance over 80 Ohms will work fine.  Some good options for how much you want to spend would be:

Beyerdynamic DT880 or 990 600 Ohms version

Sennheiser HD650

AKG K601 (NOT the K or Q7s!)

I'd get the Beyers, myself.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Custom one pro's, not your budget but they are really nice

However, am I upgrading from a pair of Bose AE2..

However, am I upgrading from a pair of Bose AE2..

The Custom One is a 16 Ohm nominal impedance, keep in mind.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The Custom One is a 16 Ohm nominal impedance, keep in mind.

Very true, I think i'm going with the 990s 600 ohms, found a great deal here in my homecountry (Sweden).

i dont think OHM requirement has to do with quality of headphones btw, its a requirement not quality......

i dont think OHM requirement has to do with quality of headphones btw, its a requirement not quality......

It has a lot to do with quality when your source's output impedance is too high. Read the FAQ.

They aren't headphones but they are just within your budget and I would certainly recommend them.

http://www.jhaudio.com/product/jh5-pro-custom-ear-monitor

I use the JH16 Pro's and IMHO they outperform any headphones I've ever listened to, plus each set is a one of a kind.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

if you feel like going with some sennhieser's, dont get the hd650's get the hd600's because the only difference between them is a small filter in the back of the hd600's that chokes the driver, therefor prohibiting the sound. This filter can easily be removed just using a standard screwdriver. There is a thread on another forum discussing this modification (http://www.head-fi.org/t/23833/removing-the-foam-from-hd600/105)

*Voltage  :rolleyes:

sorry what i was referring to was the amplification potential of the sound card.

Seems to me to be a potential difference of kinetics

That isn't completely true. Impedance is a measure of resistance. What happens is that in a set of headphones the diaphragm is moved in and out using an electromagnet in the back of the headphones. A larger impedance headphone has a larger or heavier diaphragm meaning that it needs more voltage supplied to the electromagnet in order to vibrate it at the correct frequencies. 

Seems to me to be a potential difference of kinetics

Not sure if joke because dem words, but if so, top hue.

That isn't completely true. Impedance is a measure of resistance. What happens is that in a set of headphones the diaphragm is moved in and out using an electromagnet in the back of the headphones. A larger impedance headphone has a larger or heavier diaphragm meaning that it needs more voltage supplied to the electromagnet in order to vibrate it at the correct frequencies. 

Technically, voltage is applied, not supplied.  B)

Semantics are fun.

but the card is the thing supplying the voltage to the drivers, this is not of very high importance though.

That is not true though, the size and weight of the diaphragm has nothing to do with impedance.  It is the VC and magnet that determine Impedance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That is not true though, the size and weight of the diaphragm has nothing to do with impedance.  It is the VC and magnet that determine Impedance.

I am open to the idea, can you provide me a document to look at.

I am open to the idea, can you provide me a document to look at.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan03/articles/impedanceworkshop.asp

The impedance of a headphone is determined by the design of its voice coils — the length and size of wire used, the number of turns around the former, and so on.

EDIT: Unfortunately the rest is in my head from studies done in 1993.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sorry OP, I'm totally gonna jack this thread a bit for lulz.

but the card is the thing supplying the voltage to the drivers, this is not of very high importance though.

The way I look at, voltage is applied because you need to constantly generate it between two points for it to remain stable. If you supplied a voltage, you would provide electrons from one object to another, and the affected object would eventually hold the same charge as your supply object. 

But again, just silly semantics. 

stargatesg1s04e06window.gif