Is my GPU bottlenecking my CPU?

Z3NITH

Hello, my computer setup is almost 3 years old now. Will my AMD Radeon HD 7000 series bottleneck my Intel Core i7-3770? I have looked at the MHz for both. My CPU's cores almost all run at 3.7 MHz, while my GPU's run at 775 MHz for core and 800 MHz memory. I have trouble running 45 FPS for low settings on non-graphical demanding games (Gmod & Cs:Go)

(Kind of new at technical stuff)

Bear in mind the frequency units for the CPU are in GHz, not MHz(You could turn them into MHz though). In games like Gmod or CS:GO, you are very CPU bound. By turning down the settings in CS:GO to low, you are becoming more and more CPU limited.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This, this doesn't make any sense. I'm not srue you understand what a bottleneck is. Anyway, you have an old GPU I believe. Your MHz has nothing to do with performance or the performance of the other component. Which particular GPU do you have?

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

My GPU's an AMD Radeon HD 7470, and yes, it is an old GPU (Around 3.5 years old)

Also, my main concern is for the CPU based games, I have a fairly decent one. I do not understand why my FPS is so limited.

GPU will always bottleneck CPU unless your CPU is garbage.

What I mean by this is that your GPU will always be running at 100% unless the CPU is garbage.

With that said, you only gave us a series, and that can be vastly different.

A 7990 will be more than sufficient, but a low end GPU will be the limiting factor.

More info would be useful.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

My GPU's an AMD Radeon HD 7470, and yes, it is an old GPU (Around 3.5 years old)

Also, my main concern is for the CPU based games, I have a fairly decent one. I do not understand why my FPS is so limited.

Yes, that is a very weak card and I recommend upgrading it if you want to do any type of gaming. What are you wanting to achieve and what is your budget? 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

I wish to get something that is fairly cheap for my main games, so CS:GO and Gmod. I also wish to render short YouTube clips. Something cheap-ish.

I wish to get something that is fairly cheap for my main games, so CS:GO and Gmod. I also wish to render short YouTube clips. Something cheap-ish.

I'd go with a cheap-ish r9 380. A lot of places are giving out good deals. I still recommend going r9 200 series for that for the best price-performance ratio.

How long do you think my gpu and CPU will "last" with new AAA games coming out every so often? Will I be able to run AAA games with decent FPS?

How long do you think my gpu and CPU will "last" with new AAA games coming out every so often? Will I be able to run AAA games with decent FPS?

With the 7470, I'd say it's done with it's AAA lifespan. 

With the r9 380, I'd say a good 3-4 years. It should run most games at ~high right now, and most games will be DX12 soon, so it will get a pretty big boost, so it will last. 

It will get you 5-6 years and then it will need to be ~Mid for AAA games. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2980028/components-graphics/amd-radeon-r9-380-review-the-best-200-graphics-card-you-can-buy-for-1080p-gaming.html?page=2

Thank you so much! One question, are the sizes of the GPUs similar? My main concern is if it won't fit..

Thank you so much! One question, are the sizes of the GPUs similar? My main concern is if it won't fit..

What case are you using at the moment?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It was so long ago that I forgot what it is, and it is not written anywhere..

It was so long ago that I forgot what it is, and it is not written anywhere..

Can you post a photo of the inside?