What GPU should I go with

Clifton1231

This might sound like a noobish question, but I really don't fully grasp what is going to do me the most good within a reasonable price range. I'm looking at the Nvidia GeForce GTX 900's series because they seem to be the best GPUs on the market today(without going into Titans and Teslas and Furys and the sort). I'm doing some introductory to intermediate game Devon in UE4, mid-high performance gaming and video editing on my machine, so if someone could explain to me what should get the job done for me (currently gravitating towards the GTX 970) that would be great. Also while I'm here, could someone explain the benefits of Crossfire/ SLI and how that could make say, 2 970's better than 1 980. Thanks so much for any feedback!

The 390 is the best bang for the buck GPU you can buy currently. As for crossfire/SLI, in most cases it's best to get one strong card than multiple weaker ones. As not all software/games support it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Go for the GTX 970, I've had a 390x and it's really not all that great, way to loud and overheats quickly (rammed 2 of them). Plus it doesn't use all it's onboard power (for me anyway). 

The GTX970 has amazing features (fan curve) and also nvidia has the latest updates for games, what overruns the 390x anyday.

P.S I'm not a nvidia fan boy, for those AMD fans :P

Might add this later...

--snip--

The GTX970 has amazing features (fan curve) and also nvidia has the latest updates for games, what overruns the 390x anyday.

wtf every pu has fan curve man!

(well except for gpus with no fans  lol)

to OP:

well if you're going to video editing a bit nvidia might be better for you and a 970 would be perfect for 1080p at high settings..

2 970's would outperform a single 980 for sure but you need to take in account you'll need a bigger psu and drivers optimisazion are not always quick for some games ... for video editing programs i don't know 

you might also consider a r9 390 if you're not editing a lot of videos(where a nvidia card shows it best off), best bang for the buck right now

wtf every pu has fan curve man!

(well except for gpus with no fans  lol)

to OP:

well if you're going to video editing a bit nvidia might be better for you and a 970 would be perfect for 1080p at high settings..

2 970's would outperform a single 980 for sure but you need to take in account you'll need a bigger psu and drivers optimisazion are not always quick for some games ... for video editing programs i don't know 

you might also consider a r9 390 if you're not editing a lot of videos(where a nvidia card shows it best off), best bang for the buck right now

No, not all GPU's have the new fan curve (all 970 models do). Should do some research before commenting.

And for recommending SLI for a new build, there is no point go for the 980 if you are going to get two 970. The 970 can go ultra-high settings at 1080p.

Might add this later...

No, not all GPU's have the new fan curve (all 970 models do). Should do some research before commenting.

And for recommending SLI for a new build, there is no point go for the 980 if you are going to get two 970. The 970 can go ultra-high settings at 1080p.

What 390 doesn't have the ability to have a custom fan curve? You can literally set one through Crimson, which works on all Radeon graphics cards.

What 390 doesn't have the ability to have a custom fan curve? You can literally set one through Crimson, which works on all Radeon graphics cards.

idk what is up with this guy all gpus have fan curve and you can set them via software if you want differet a curve from the original lol

idk what is up with this guy all gpus have fan curve and you can set them via software if you want differet a curve from the original lol

I can tell you what happened. They bought a shit 390x and then blamed all examples of the card rather than themselves for being cheap. "My 390x overheats" said no Sapphire owner, ever.