Looking at upgrading ram and graphics for around $150?

Snipe86K
Go to solution Solved by LabRat,

if you're going to keep your AMD set up, the 8350.

now buy a 280 or equivelant.

you're really set on that processor. to be honest I would get a 7950/280/ the small leap in cpu perfromance isn't worth the money to me. and I'm not even sure that 945 would give you too many more frames over what you have.

it's like me when i tried running a 380 on a 5800k apu. was nothing extra there that was noticable.

Only reason I am set on it is I got it for free. If it's no good I'll sell it and get a different one that fits my board if possible.

it's not free if it costs 165..?? you can buy a new processor for 150, or an 8320 for 130-ish.

That money is not out of my pocket though. The money out of my pocket is like 95 bucks to get the new mobo and the fx 8350. Sorry I should have been more specific. My mom baught me an fx8350. So I have it for free. I am doing a build for my inlaws and the three sets of kids are paying for it. Depending on the mobo I pick I could put a new mobo in my machine or just get one for there build. Either way my CPU is being put into their machine. My portion of the build will be smaller than that of the other people. It will very on what I purchase as far as parts.

Maybe I am just confused as you arent putting labels on your numbers. I am not positive which refers to what. If 7950 is the CPU it is worse than what I have as far as I can tell.

here's a "starter set without ram. you'll have to add 40-50 for that.

board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130890

cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117625

yeah, i know, it's only a dual core pentium. but it's 2core/2thread/ it'll work with the board without having to worry about a BIOS update ( some cpu's won't run on the new boards because of BIOS issues ) you can upgrade this to a decent quad core in the future if you feel it's lacking for your apps.

they listed gskill 2133 ram ( 2x4 ) but didn't see any at the site ( tbh i forgot the number at msi site. )  ( a few people are having ram not list not working ) although this jhas never happened to me, ............ better safe than sorry.

i was originally going to list last gen intel quad ( $190 ) but don't think you could truly afford that line of upgrade now.

That money is not out of my pocket though. The money out of my pocket is like 95 bucks to get the new mobo and the fx 8350. Sorry I should have been more specific. My mom baught me an fx8350. So I have it for free. I am doing a build for my inlaws and the three sets of kids are paying for it. Depending on the mobo I pick I could put a new mobo in my machine or just get one for there build. Either way my CPU is being put into their machine. My portion of the build will be smaller than that of the other people. It will very on what I purchase as far as parts. Currently it includes that mobo and my portion is $95. Not sure if you saw this one.

Another option is I could return the AMD fx 8350 get another processor that is about 150 and put a different mobo onto the build for inlaws to put into mine. Basically I get a processor up to 150 or so for free. I can upgrade my mobo with the build that happens for my inlaws. The only catch is I am buying it all this weekend.

If you had 150 bucks what processor would you buy? That should make it easy...

if you're going to keep your AMD set up, the 8350.

now buy a 280 or equivelant.

if you check out spoofee.com. scroll down, there's an 8320 for $99.00 on amazon.

CPU:AMD Phenom IIx4 945 3.0 GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MoBo: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3 +

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card

PU: OCZ ZX 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

So I play a wide variety of games as well as video editing and rendering as well as Auto CAD. I have noticed a bottle neck recently and after running some tests and benchmarks it looks as though my graphics and ram are the culprits as CPU cores all run at under 50%. Games run from GTA, Farcry 4, Fallout series, down to simple games like railroad tycoon. RAM is easy to figure out but I could use some suggestions on Graphics before the sales end! So graphics wise I have about $150 and need some help on what I should get. I was thinking an NVIDIA GTX 950

Go for the 960 instead as... Oh, Sorry you put yours in dollars and I'm british so it is in pounds lol. The 960 here is only £150. Otherwise go for a 950. Your opinion was correct.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz