grahics card memory question

Rpkiller

why don't graphics cards use the same system as cpu's where they move the memory off the cpu?

wouldn't it be easier to have GDDr5 or HBM come in sticks of ram instead of onboard memory

and have there own slots?

why don't graphics cards use the same system as cpu's where they move the memory off the cpu?

wouldn't it be easier to have GDDr5 or HBM come in sticks of ram instead of onboard memory?

because cpu ram is much slower and connecting ram through ports might hinder that fast speed?

an idea?

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Here ya go:

i know the difference between the two and i'm not suggesting using gddr5 for the cpu. 

but just moving the ram onto the motherboard and connecting it to the graphics card

Edit: it would work just like how the cpu ram is setup and would allow upgradablity for your graphics card ram

i know the difference between the two and i'm not suggesting using gddr5 for the cpu. 

but just moving the ram onto the motherboard and connecting it to the graphics card

Edit: it would work just like how the cpu ram is setup and would allow upgradablity for your graphics card ram

ye but i don't think the rensponse time and memory speed would be the same 

I would like that honestly. I'm not sure if there would be enough room on the motherboard. I also think it's faster when it's right next to the GPU. Especially in HBM.

Because the GPU has to be able to communicate with the memory at high data rates. For example, a 980 Ti's GPU is connected to its memory with a communication interface which allows data rates of up to 336GB/s.

If memory were located on the motherboard, the GPU would have to communicate with the memory through the PCI Express bus. A full PCIe 3.0 x16 link has a maximum bandwidth of slightly under 16GB/s. So you can see the problem with that.

Because the GPU has to communicate with the memory at high data rates. For example, the 980 Ti has a communication interface to its onboard memory which allows data rates of up to 336GB/s.

If memory were located on the motherboard, the GPU would have to communicate with the memory through the PCI Express bus. A full PCIe 3.0 x16 link has a maximum bandwidth of slightly under 16GB/s. So you can see the problem with that.

+ if you count HBM you're screwed :P

They memory would have to communicate with the GPU through the motherboard instead. Having it directly on the GPU makes communication better.