Fallout 4. GPU advise.

SmileyHau

SLI is always better unless it is not supported. SLI has come a long way since a couple years back when you'd get epic stutter on pretty much every game.

Nope, that's why everyone says get a beefy single card rather than SLI.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

You can mix and match CPUs and GPUs. I have an Intel CPU and a AMD GPU, Nitro 390 for the win. But the AMD CPUs do pretty well with Fallout 4 so if you want to go that route you won't get the return of a Intel CPU but it's your choice.

Really? Find a performance set of DDR3 ram for under 40us. I'll wait.

I checked gamedebate.

Between haswell 4690 and skylake 6600.

It seems like 4690 much slightly faster and better than 6600 by 3% in result. Also much cheaper.

Would it be good i go for 4690 seems i don't overclock and can save some extra cash for other stuff?

I checked gamedebate.

Between haswell 4690 and skylake 6600.

It seems like 4690 much slightly faster and better than 6600 by 3% in result. Also much cheaper.

Would it be good i go for 4690 seems i don't overclock and can save some extra cash for other stuff?

Very little difference between the 4690 and the 4690k. For gaming it's all you really need, for 1080p gaming it's all you'll need for awhile. Only reason to go Skylake is if you're worried about upgrading, or an upgrade path. I'm still debating if I'll get a 4790k as my 4690k does such a good job I don't need to upgrade, so it would be an upgrade for my ego and nothing else.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Nope, that's why everyone says get a beefy single card rather than SLI.

Not sure who "everyone" is, but they either haven't had an SLI configuration and are simply speculating, or have just had bad luck with one (aka playing games which aren't optimized for SLI or had bad drivers at the time). I've had no problems running over 40 games on Steam so far since I built my PC 2 weeks ago, and 80% of them support SLI. To the ones who don't, only one card is used anyway, so I don't even have to go in settings to disable anything. And those are usually the really old games. Fallout 4 is the only new game that I have which doesn't support SLI (just yet, i'm sure it will soon) and that can be easily maxed with a single 980ti at 1440p with good fps. 

I own a 165hz monitor, so I sort of MUST have SLI to reach that FPS in all/most games :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Not sure who "everyone" is, but they either haven't had an SLI configuration and are simply speculating, or have just had bad luck with one (aka playing games which aren't optimized for SLI or had bad drivers at the time). I've had no problems running over 40 games on Steam so far since I built my PC 2 weeks ago, and 80% of them support SLI. To the ones who don't, only one card is used anyway, so I don't even have to go in settings to disable anything. And those are usually the really old games. Fallout 4 is the only new game that I have which doesn't support SLI (just yet, i'm sure it will soon) and that can be easily maxed with a single 980ti at 1440p with good fps. 

I own a 165hz monitor, so I sort of MUST have SLI to reach that FPS in all/most games :)

Linus must be wrong then? Maybe he's never had SLI, or Jayztwocents who has 3 titans yet still recommends a single powerful card rather than 2 lesser ones?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Wow that Apu is gonna be terrible for FO4, if there are any bottlenecks it should most likely be your cpu.

You really need to watch this video about refresh rateshttp://youtu.be/hjWSRTYV8e0

Linus must be wrong then? Maybe he's never had SLI, or Jayztwocents who has 3 titans yet still recommends a single powerful card rather than 2 lesser ones?

Not saying they are wrong, they are recommending a single GPU, doesn't mean its a rule of thumb. Some people experience more issues than others, they are not gods mate take their opinion with a grain of salt.

You really need to watch this video about refresh rateshttp://youtu.be/hjWSRTYV8e0

I have already seen that video and while he is somewhat right, I am fine with 165fps Gsync. No tears, no input lag for me and while I am a very competitive gamer, I don't for one play CSGO, and in every other FPS i do play, I've been doing much better than when I had a 60hz screen and 100fps. 

Thanks for your input anyway.

Not saying they are wrong, they are recommending a single GPU, doesn't mean its a rule of thumb. Some people experience more issues than others, they are not gods mate take their opinion with a grain of salt.

I have already seen that video and while he is somewhat right, I am fine with 165fps Gsync. No tears, no input lag for me and while I am a very competitive gamer, I don't for one play CSGO, and in every other FPS i do play, I've been doing much better than when I had a 60hz screen and 100fps. 

Thanks for your input anyway.

But it is a rule of thumb lol, a single powerful card gives less issues, that's why it's recommended over buying two lesser cards for SLI to cause issues. Also didn't know you are a web designer, possible we could work together in the future would be great.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

You'll get high FPS on ultra settings FO4 but notice dips in areas, but thats usually the game, not the GPU. Driver updates, game patches fix this. When I game on 8 gb I get 90% RAM usage, so thinking I should get 16 GB make up for it. It will never be perfect, guess I want next big thing.

But it is a rule of thumb lol, a single powerful card gives less issues, that's why it's recommended over buying two lesser cards for SLI to cause issues. Also didn't know you are a web designer, possible we could work together in the future would be great.

Yes it's sort of a "rule", I mean a few years back having SLI was just pointless, so few games supported it properly and even then they stuttered. Now though things have changed quite a bit, I mean as I mentioned before using SLI 980ti's in BF4, StarWars Battlefront, Witcher 3, ARMA3, GTA V and so on,  is just flawless for me. I get no tears, no stutter, very good scaling on 1440p and great fps (usually over 100 on ultra). I sort of need the second card to make full use of the 165hz display. Otherwise, I would of stayed single GPU if I just wanted 60 of course.

And well I only do it as a hobby, mainly the graphics side of it, currently busy with a business i opened up last year so no had a lot of time to even put some of my new PC parts in I got the other day haha. But if I can help in any way, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

My older i5 handle FO4 easy. Ultra 60-100 fps in 1440p all the time. Had to limit the frames too 100 because of 144hz bug in FO4.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO