TV Frequency

MrSaw

I'm getting a new 48"< TV as a display for my computer. I know that I'll probably get a lot of "You should be buying a monitor" stick, but I have my reasons for getting this.

I will be using this partially for gaming off my pc, but also everyday use with web browsing and study work.

So far I have found a 60Hz TV ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL48R510C-48-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00V0K0X7Y/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1448366871&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3ASony%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cp_36%3A-60000 )

and a 120Hz TV ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPMCN7Y/?tag=dislag-20 ). 

What I'd like to know is what I should be looking for in terms of frequency.

I've watched the techquicky video comparing tvs to monitors, but that hasn't really helped me much.

Also, I'll be using an overclocked HD6990 to power this thing, any suggestions on what to watch out for when converting mDP to HDMI?

Cheers.

TVs do some trickery with their refresh rate to make tv programs look more "fluid", and often don't advertise the frequency of the link between the TV and your computer, just the higher panel refresh rate. In the case of the "120Hz TV", the product description says:

Refresh Rate: 60Hz (Native); Motionflow XR 120 (Effective)

Your GPU will only be sending images to the TV at 60Hz, so it's not quite a 120Hz monitor

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Your GPU will only be sending images to the TV at 60Hz, so it's not quite a 120Hz monitor

So are you saying I shouldn't worry about finding a TV that supports over 60Hz?

Or would it need to do native 120Hz?

How do the 144Hz monitors work then? Doesn't the graphics card put out more than 60Hz?

So are you saying I shouldn't worry about finding a TV that supports over 60Hz?

Or would it need to do native 120Hz?

How do the 144Hz monitors work then? Doesn't the graphics card put out more than 60Hz?

144Hz monitors are able to receive a signal at 144Hz, and are designed for having those high refresh rates.

Most things connected to a TV (Xbox, PS4, BluRay Player, Cable Box etc) can only output 60Hz, so a TV will only be designed to accept a 60Hz input.

If you wanted 120Hz, you would need to find something that does native 120Hz. You are unlikely to find that in a TV.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it