Add a 290 or upgrade

blakslee720

Hey everyone,

I've had an r9 290 in my computer for a few months now with a kraken g10 on it and it's been performing great.

Now that newegg has some reference 290s on sale for $200 after MIR (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-202-043-_-Product) I've been debating getting another one and also getting a 1440 freesync monitor (https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mg279q)

However adding another 290 and corsair h50 to cool it will overloard my 750w PSU so in total so adding another 290 will actually cost me $350 by the time I get the card, psu(https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20850v1), 2nd kraken g10 and 2nd corsair h50.

Given all of the other stuff I'd have to get to run another 290 it has me thinking maybe I should just get a single 980, fury, fury x or 980 ti (and a g-sync monitor to go with an nvidia card).

Down the road, running 980ti or furyx in sli/xfire would also probably require an 850w PSU anyway so what are your thoughts?

I run a 390 and 290 in crossfire on a RM750 powersupply, so unless it's a cheapo you're OK powersupply wise. BUT, they make a ton of heat when you have two of them going in the same case, so you should be more worried about your case than the PSU. It should be well ventilated.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

980ti SLI will run on a 750 watt psu no problem. As long as its a good one.

When in doubt, re-format.

I run a 390 and 290 in crossfire on a RM750 powersupply, so unless it's a cheapo you're OK powersupply wise. BUT, they make a ton of heat when you have two of them going in the same case, so you should be more worried about your case than the PSU. It should be well ventilated.

Hes running an AIO cooler on it so the case heat shouldn't be an issue.

I was speaking not only of case temps, but his temps :lol: . I had to point my case in another direction while bench testing as the heat coming out of that thing was no joke.

I had to point my case in another direction while bench testing as the heat coming out of that thing was no joke.

LOL. Now that is great. I have 2 GTX 670's which don't get AS hot, but in the winter they are really nice for keeping my feet warm during gaming sessions up here in Canada.

I was speaking not only of case temps, but his temps :lol: . I had to point my case in another direction while bench testing as the heat coming out of that thing was no joke.

Case ventilation isn't really a problem for me. I have 4 fan slots and they all have 120s in them. Also the way my desk is set up my case is parallel to the wall, not perpendicular.

980ti SLI will run on a 750 watt psu no problem. As long as its a good one.

Ah yes, You're right. I have an evga PSU. (Aware that corsair CXs are not that great and won't ever get one)

Case ventilation isn't really a problem for me. I have 4 fan slots and they all have 120s in them. Also the way my desk is set up my case is parallel to the wall, not perpendicular.

4 case fans :lol: . Mine are like bunnies, I have 9 at the moment.

Clock core speeds are more important in my experience than memory speeds (in having to match). But the scaling is usually pretty good with 290's.

4 case fans :lol: . Mine are like bunnies, I have 9 at the moment.

Clock core speeds are more important in my experience than memory speeds (in having to match). But the scaling is usually pretty good with 290's.

Just curious. Why are you xfiring a 390 and 290 instead of two 290s? Wouldn't you only be using half of the 390's vram?

Just curious. Why are you xfiring a 390 and 290 instead of two 290s? Wouldn't you only be using half of the 390's vram?

A 390 was 80us cheaper than a 290. I have a Vaporx 290 so wouldn't match it with anything that's not a Sapphire. Most of the time I run just the 390. The 290 is just as good if not better in some games but the 390 Nitro runs a little cooler so that's why I use it.