1080p/1440p on VGA?

Flare

I'm building a new pc, and it's going to have an R9 390. As it's a mid to high ranged card, you would expect 1440p (or at least 1080p) gaming reasonably. Now the problem is, I don't have a fancy monitor and I'm broke atm (due to the pc, of course!  :P ). So, I will be using an ancient Samsung 19" 768p display for at least a fair amount of time. And yes, it has a VGA connection and I have to use an adapter. So, here are some questions...

1. Most importantly.. will I be facing any issue with the setup?

2. With VSR technology, can I run games in 1080p or 1440p?

any real world experience will be appreciated! 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

:)

The only issue is that VGA is pretty bad, considering modern interfaces. Provided you use an adapter that works (so, not a passive digital to analogue adapter, which don't do anything), it will work. 

Yes, though obviously, it will be downscaled to 768p. 

The only issue is that VGA is pretty bad, considering modern interfaces. Provided you use an adapter that works (so, not a passive digital to analogue adapter, which don't do anything), it will work. 

Yes, though obviously, it will be downscaled to 768p. 

but can't I upscale it to 1080p and more with VSR?

but can't I upscale it to 1080p and more with VSR?

The display is still 768p. VSR will render the games at 1080p (maximum for 1366 x 768 BTW, you can't do 1440p VSR) but will then downscale them to 768p. It will improve the quality, as it's essentially an alternative to AA, but the resolution is still 768p. 

The display is still 768p. VSR will render the games at 1080p (maximum for 1366 x 768 BTW, you can't do 1440p VSR) but will then downscale them to 768p. It will improve the quality, as it's essentially an alternative to AA, but the resolution is still 768p. 

oh! looks like a 1080p panel is must...  :(

oh! looks like a 1080p panel is must...  :(

Well, you can deal with it until you can afford a 1080p panel, I guess. But yeah, for a 390, running below 1080p is a bit of a waste. 

EDIT: Have you bought the PC yet? If you give me a parts list, I can try to save some money so you can afford a monitor too while keeping the same performance.  (or a budget and I can put something together for you)

Lol. AMD using an Intel Build for their benchmark system. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Well, you can deal with it until you can afford a 1080p panel, I guess. But yeah, for a 390, running below 1080p is a bit of a waste. 

EDIT: Have you bought the PC yet? If you give me a parts list, I can try to save some money so you can afford a monitor too while keeping the same performance.  (or a budget and I can put something together for you)

I haven't. Here's the parts list

1. core i7 6700k

2. msi z170a gaming m5

3. GSkill Trident Z 8 GB (already bought)

4. Corsair H100i (already bought due to a super cheap deal)

5. Transcend 370 Sata III (250 GB)

6. Sapphire R9 390

7. Toughpower 750W

8. NZXT H440 (already bought)

thanks for your help!!  :)

I haven't. Here's the parts list

1. core i7 6700k

2. msi z170a gaming m5

3. GSkill Trident Z 8 GB (already bought)

4. Corsair H100i (already bought due to a super cheap deal)

5. Transcend 370 Sata III (250 GB)

6. Sapphire R9 390

7. Toughpower 750W

8. NZXT H440 (already bought)

thanks for your help!!  :)

Are you in the US? It would help with pricing of things. 

Are you in the US? It would help with pricing of things. 

I live in Bangladesh... you can still refer usd, I'll do the math on exchange rate. roughly 1000 USD I guess (without the cooler, case and ram of course)...

I live in Bangladesh... you can still refer usd, I'll do the math on exchange rate. roughly 1000 USD I guess (without the cooler, case and ram of course)...

Okay. The main things I'd look at is switching the PSU to something like an EVGA GS 650 and the board to an Asus Z170-A.

To be honest, other than that, there's not a lot to be cut back on, it's pretty solid. Only advise is to save for a 1080p monitor. 

Okay. The main things I'd look at is switching the PSU to something like an EVGA GS 650 and the board to an Asus Z170-A.

To be honest, other than that, there's not a lot to be cut back on, it's pretty solid. Only advise is to save for a 1080p monitor. 

I know it's pretty solid build!! but the fact is, psu is fixed cause my local dealer will give me a 7 year warranty with "burn case" protection. and that's something you can hardly beat!!

the board I've chosen is primarily for the looks actually! I know it's stupid, but just a personal preference...