Looking to drop a ton on a new monitor.

Mussyo

Hey guys, LONG time viewer of linus, but as videos are harder to search, I thought I might ask a question to the forum. I really want to get a 4k GAMING monitor, what is the best one atm where price is no issue?

I will be using it for 4k gaming and that is what i need it to be best at, not a huge competitive gamer so response time isn't too much of an issue, but visual are important.

What is the best monitor I could buy for my money for this use ? If you can help me in any way, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

What are your specs? For a lot of people 1440p would be better.

Intel® Core i7-4770 CPU

16gb ddr3 1600mhz

MSI GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 SLI

480 gb ssd

1000w psu

I think that is all the relevant information.

I wouldent spend allot on a monitor you may kick yourself when VR hits the market 

Monitor I would get is a 34" LG curved

LG 65EF9500 - 4k OLED, about 50ms lag, which might mess up a twitch gamer, but should be OK for you.

Best 3D *ever* - better than the theatres by some accounts.

$4000 at Nice Electronics on google shop, but that's a couple tons...

55" is $2349, also at Nice Electronics - that's just over a ton of dollars  :D

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Predator x34 is money isn't a option

Edit I think it's only 1440p

isn't the 

Acer Predator XB270HU 144Hz IPS G-Sync Monitor

that linus reviewed supposed to be better ?

LG 65EF9500 - 4k OLED, about 50ms lag, which might mess up a twitch gamer, but should be OK for you.

Best 3D *ever* - better than the theatres by some accounts.

$4000 at Nice Electronics on google shop, but that's a couple tons...

55" is $2349, also at Nice Electronics - that's just over a ton of dollars  :D

that is more of a tv, I am looking for something on a desk, more of a monitor if you see where i am coming from?

Hey guys, LONG time viewer of linus, but as videos are harder to search, I thought I might ask a question to the forum. I really want to get a 4k GAMING monitor, what is the best one atm where price is no issue?

I will be using it for 4k gaming and that is what i need it to be best at, not a huge competitive gamer so response time isn't too much of an issue, but visual are important.

What is the best monitor I could buy for my money for this use ? If you can help me in any way, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

Korean 4K monitors are going for around $400-500. The Wasabi Mango supports Freesync (though not with a 980 because... Nvidia - wankers) and if you turn it to 1080p you can run it at 120Hz.

Though really I would not recommend going to 4K on a 980 unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card setup. 1440p is a much better option for you imo, and there are lots of great 1440p monitors for the price.

Source - I have a 7970 and a 1440p monitor. 4K is dead to me.

People seem to always forget that a monitor is at minimum 5 (closer to 10) year product, so it's better to get the best you can right now as it will pay off.

I'd say if you want 4K, get 4K because one day you'll be able to run it no problem if not already.

-アパゾ

Korean 4K monitors are going for around $400-500. The Wasabi Mango supports Freesync (though not with a 980 because... Nvidia - wankers) and if you turn it to 1080p you can run it at 120Hz.

Though really I would not recommend going to 4K on a 980 unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card setup. 1440p is a much better option for you imo, and there are lots of great 1440p monitors for the price.

Source - I have a 7970 and a 1440p monitor. 4K is dead to me.

2 980 sli seems to be running most games at 60+, is that not enough ?

2 980 sli seems to be running most games at 60+, is that not enough ?

oh oh oh, okay. I thought it was just the one. Never mind :P I'm stupid :P I'll go jump off a bridge and crawl into my corner now...

Yes, 4K will go nicely on that.

oh oh oh, okay. I thought it was just the one. Never mind :P I'm stupid :P I'll go jump off a bridge and crawl into my corner now...

Yes, 4K will go nicely on that.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude, I do appreciate the input. 

People seem to always forget that a monitor is at minimum 5 (closer to 10) year product, so it's better to get the best you can right now as it will pay off.

I'd say if you want 4K, get 4K because one day you'll be able to run it no problem if not already.

thanks dude, that is my way of thinking.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude, I do appreciate the input. 

Not rude. I was just being stupid *yawns* I didn't sleep very much.

that is more of a tv, I am looking for something on a desk, more of a monitor if you see where i am coming from?

Awww, I have a 6 foot wide desk, the 55" would fit very nicely :lol:

Folding For Linus since July 2015

I am in the same boat as you.  I want a flagship monitor but I don't feel like 1440p is worthwhile for a 5 to 10 year product.  I wish there was a 32" 4k 120hz DP1.3 IPS Gsync monitor.  Current GPUs do not support DP 1.3 yet, but 2016 cards will.  

edit: I plan to wait and see what new monitors get announced at CES 2016 in January, before making any final decisions.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I am in the same boat as you.  I want a flagship monitor but I don't feel like 1440p is worthwhile for a 5 to 10 year product.  I wish there was a 32" 4k 120hz DP1.3 IPS Gsync monitor.  Current GPUs do not support DP 1.3 yet, but 2016 cards will.  

edit: I plan to wait and see what new monitors get announced at CES 2016 in January, before making any final decisions.

Single DP1.3 will support 4K up to 96Hz with 4:4:4 chroma.