Tripod for around £75, ($115)

electrolux

Can anyone suggest a tripod for around £75, ($115)? The required specifications:

Minimum height of around 180cm, with or without centre post.

Weighs less than 2kg.

Maximum folded hight of 40cm

With head, preferably a pan-tilt type

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I was just about to say look for a Benro or Mefoto within the budget.

Cheapest mefoto is like £115-150 sadly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Looks great, definitely will consider it. Thanks.

Benro is a very good maker of tripods, I believe they are a Chinese brand that makes clones of Manfrotto/Gitzo.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Cheapest mefoto is like £115-150 sadly

They used to be cheaper when they started selling via eBay.

They used to be cheaper when they started selling via eBay.

Yeah I guess they are a bit more pricey now, 

still It think for the money that benro is a nice little tripod, the head looks a bit shit, but most (all) cheap heads are

still It think for the money that benro is a nice little tripod, the head looks a bit shit, but most (all) cheap heads are

Benro heads are pretty decent, they may not have the build quality of an Arca Swiss or Really Right Stuff, but they will last a couple of years.

Benro uses an arca type quick release system, the best system for photo cameras.

I have one I keep in the pickup and go bag. The ball head was one that I thought might be naff but its not, had it a year and its been subjected to most nature can throw at it. Sand, snow, sea water, take your pick. Had quite a few Benro heads too, first ball head this small, but no slack or slip with a D800, flash, and lenses of choice. 

Only thing I will pick on, which I have found a pain on all makes is the mounting plate,, why oh why they don't create one with a pin that fits the mounting hole in the larger cameras? Over years had the rubber on the plate and cameras mounts twist and drop off. 1 little pin would stop that motion.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

SNIP

Good to hear I actually need a new portable tripod myself

Only thing I will pick on, which I have found a pain on all makes is the mounting plate,, why oh why they don't create one with a pin that fits the mounting hole in the larger cameras? Over years had the rubber on the plate and cameras mounts twist and drop off. 1 little pin would stop that motion.

If you're talking about the quick release plate turning a bit, you can look for third party Arca type plates on eBay, they are very cheap and perhaps you will find the one you need.

Otherwise look for an anti-turn plate which is not flat, it follows a bit of the contour of a specific camera type.  Or get a L-bracket.  I love my Really RIght Stuff L-brackets for the D800 and D4.  eBay has some Chinese cloned L-brackets which are cheaper than RRS.  One particular brand I like for Arca style accessories is SunwayFoto.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Quick-Release-Plate-Arca-Swiss-Compatible-With-Hand-Strap-Boss-Mount-/171024603755?hash=item27d1dc5a6b:g:HcYAAMXQ2q9RauMw

s-l1600.jpg

I think I might splash out on a 3 Legged Thing EVO3...

http://www.3leggedthing.com/punks.html

Another great brand, you won't regret it.

Another great brand, you won't regret it.

Gotta save up first. [emoji6]

Gotta save up first. [emoji6]

Whether you go Benro or 3LT, you won't regret it.  Both are good brands.  Unlike those cheaply made/not worth the price general electronics store tripods which you will regret immediately after you buy.

Addendum: I'm not sure with 3LT, but the Benro model that @ShadowCaptain posted can be converted to a monopod.  But I prefer the leg locking mechanism of the 3LT, the twist locks are more robust in my opinion.

Addendum 2: This looks like another clone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Profesional-Photography-Monopod-LF375/dp/B00K4N4C48/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447876076&sr=8-3&keywords=benro+tripod

PS: The design of the Arca type QR plates make it one of the most popular and copied, making it easy to find cheap yet good Chinese versions on eBay.  Unlike Manfrotto or Gitzo style QR plates which I hate, which is why I always buy the tripod and tripod head separately.  Love Gitzo tripods, hate their tripod heads.

Addendum: I'm not sure with 3LT, but the Benro model that @ShadowCaptain posted can be converted to a monopod.  But I prefer the leg locking mechanism of the 3LT, the twist locks are more robust in my opinion.

That and twist over latch offers the option of not trapping your fingers when in a rush.

PS, will look into those plates,,,, take some measurements of the current ones and get a couple to match.... 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard!