980Ti reference card?

Rob.S
Go to solution Solved by Rob.S,

I don't care anymore - as long as it works I am fine. Of course there will be no master race pride, but I guess that is what I get.

Hi there,

First please do not tell me to build a PC... I know it is the best way but because my family is very busy and our finacial situation is not the best (cannot afford to lose a SINGLE penny over accidents), so I got a prebuilt.

Here is is: http://bit.ly/1MujB0Y

Luckily, it has decent water-cooling on the CPU, and some very nice specs. *Please ignore the 500W PSU, the load wattage is 470W so I got them to replace it with a Corsair RM750)

The one thing I am concerned about is the GPU. It comes with the reference/stock GTX 980Ti.

What will the noise and tempuratures be like? Will the card be thermal-throttled?

All answers welcome (except from 'build a PC' (I originally wanted to))

The reference 980Ti should be ok because Maxwell GPUs tend to be very cool and therefore quiet.

Cheers. Nice rig bro ;)

The reference 980Ti should be ok because Maxwell GPUs tend to be very cool and therefore quiet.

you kidding me right?!?! the 980ti is a VERY hot chip...it's VERY power hungry and it run VERY hot...and the reference design cooler is outdated and should be AVOIDED at any cost IMHO...i have the super beefy 10 pound ASUS 980ti strix with tripple fan in my machine and EVEN THAT is running really hot and loud...the reference cards trottle all the time a simple good search will confirm this:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=980ti+reference+running+hot

maxwell is indeed VERY energy efficient the 970 and 980 are somewhat cool running cards indeed...but the 980ti and titanX is just SOOOOOO big it's such a huge core that it consume a lot of energy and run really hot...kinda like an AMD hawaii board for example.

Reference card you have to run 80%+ fanspeed and even then it will still trottle after some time and it will sound like a air dryer.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hi there,

First please do not tell me to build a PC... I know it is the best way but because my family is very busy and our finacial situation is not the best, I got a prebuilt.

Luckily, it has decent water-cooling on the CPU, and some very nice specs. *Please ignore the 500W PSU, the load wattage is 470W so I got them to replace it with a Corsair RM750)

The one thing I am concerned about is the GPU. It comes with the reference/stock GTX 980Ti.

What will the noise and tempuratures be like? Will the card be thermal-throttled?

first of all if your financial issues isnt the best... wouldnt it be better to build a custom one then?`just throw a 20-50 pounds/euros for someone to build it for you

Hi there,

First please do not tell me to build a PC... I know it is the best way but because my family is very busy and our finacial situation is not the best, I got a prebuilt.

It will very loud especially in that kind of case.. yes it will thermal throttle. No there really isnt much you can do about it. ( aside from buying a bigger case with decent airflow/ buying a non reference. NOT trying to be mean but why exactly didnt you build it? You say for financial reasons but isnt it cheaper to build one? Not being rude actually curious as in the US that build would be about 500 cheaper

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

The stock card sounds like a loud sweeper inside your case. If you leave the default fan profile, temps will hit 83-84 before throttling. If you wear headphones you'll be ok but if not, it'll be loud.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

The reference 980Ti is great, I have it myself :) it can get a bit toasty but it is not a disaster :) 

Hi there,

I would rather get the 980ti Lighting or something instead of reference because they can quite hot.

It will very loud especially in that kind of case.. yes it will thermal throttle. No there really isnt much you can do about it. ( aside from buying a bigger case with decent airflow/ buying a non reference. NOT trying to be mean but why exactly didnt you build it? You say for financial reasons but isnt it cheaper to build one? Not being rude actually curious as in the US that build would be about 500 cheaper

first of all if your financial issues isnt the best... wouldnt it be better to build a custom one then?`just throw a 20-50 pounds/euros for someone to build it for you

Because of the risks of building one! I full well know how easy it is to build one, but seriously I cannot afford to lose any money from 'building accidents'. It bugs me a little how wherever I go on forums, people never help me on the main question I had asked.

As for Cvdasfg's suggestion, I would love to but I need it quick and with a 3 year warranty. If there is a problem, there is no time to open it, look for the problem, and fix it. It won't happen.

I would rather get the 980ti Lighting or something instead of reference because they can quite hot.

But is a pre-built... Read the post again bro ;)

I must've received a really good ref EVGA Ti. I've had the past few ref design cards(780, 780 Ti, and now 980 Ti). I used to have throttling issues(card would stay at 30% load), but never because of temps. Took awhile to figure out, but after turning "DSR" on(either res scaling in game or control panel), it stays at 99% load. The cards seem to not want to go all out at 1080p even with vsync off. Had that problem since 780.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Because of the risks of building one! I full well know how easy it is to build one, but seriously I cannot afford to lose any money from 'building accidents'. It bugs me a little how wherever I go on forums, people never help me on the main question I had asked.

understand...is there a way they can provide a better card for a bit more money?

or maybe downgrade to a 908 with a better cooler or something?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I did help you :) I told you what you asked.. It will throttle.. it will be loud.. Pay microcenter $100 to do it. ;)

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

you kidding me right?!?! the 980ti is a VERY hot chip...it's VERY power hungry and it run VERY hot...and the reference design cooler is outdated and should be AVOIDED at any cost IMHO...i have the super beefy 10 pound ASUS 980ti strix with tripple fan in my machine and EVEN THAT is running really hot and loud...the reference cards trottle all the time a simple good search will confirm this:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=980ti+reference+running+hot

maxwell is indeed VERY energy efficient the 970 and 980 are somewhat cool running cards indeed...but the 980ti and titanX is just SOOOOOO big it's such a huge core that it consume a lot of energy and run really hot...kinda like an AMD hawaii board for example.

Reference card you have to run 80%+ fanspeed and even then it will still trottle after some time and it will sound like a air dryer.

Oh no! 83-90 deg is too hot! It really depends on your comfort zone...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I must've received a really good ref EVGA Ti. I've had the past few ref design cards(780, 780 Ti, and now 980 Ti). I used to have throttling issues(card would stay at 30% load), but never because of temps. Took awhile to figure out, but after turning "DSR" on(either res scaling in game or control panel), it stays at 99% load. The cards seem to not want to go all out at 1080p even with vsync off. Had that problem since 780.

780? really? i had a 780 previously i was gaming at 1080p and i never had any issues pushing it to 99% load in just about any games?! maybe you test with games that are not graphicaly demanding? the 980ti it's understandeable that thing is SOOOO overkill for 1080p gaming it's not even funny it can push like 200FPS in many games...the modern CPU's can't even feed it fast enough...the 980ti is a 1440p card...end of the story...it's way overkill for 1080p gaming and not quite fast enough for 4K. it destroy 1440p gaming and can run max settings at 60FPS+ which is what you want.

Oh no! 83-90 deg is too hot! It really depends on your comfort zone...

my 980ti Strix struggle to keep the chip bellow 78c unless i ramp up the fan really loud...that goes to say how hot the big maxwell GPU is. look at the strix this thing is soooooo huge, so overbuilt it has a thick large cooler the card is like 8 inches deep and 12-13inches long or something and i swear it's got to be nearly 10 pounds...tripple fans...and even that is struggling.

my 980ti Strix struggle to keep the chip bellow 78c unless i ramp up the fan really loud...that goes to say how hot the big maxwell GPU is. look at the strix this thing is soooooo huge, so overbuilt it has a thick large cooler the card is like 8 inches deep and 12-13inches long or something and i swear it's got to be nearly 10 pounds...tripple fans...and even that is struggling.

Key word = 'Strix'. Fans don't turn on until 60c...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Can't do anything about it at all D:

Key word = 'Strix'. Fans don't turn on until 60c...

? that won't change anything....on desktop indeed the fans won't kick in it usualy run at around 50c on desktop...but as soon as you launch a game the fans will start running and you hear them at around 50% and at 60% it's getting loud...temps at 50% fanspeed? = 78c....

? that won't change anything....on desktop indeed the fans won't kick in it usualy run at around 50c on desktop...but as soon as you launch a game the fans will start running and you hear them at around 50% and at 60% it's getting loud...temps at 50% fanspeed? = 78c....

What load are you getting 78 deg at? Plus, the Maxwell core is just as big as all other modern GPU cores.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

780? really? i had a 780 previously i was gaming at 1080p and i never had any issues pushing it to 99% load in just about any games?! maybe you test with games that are not graphicaly demanding? the 980ti it's understandeable that thing is SOOOO overkill for 1080p gaming it's not even funny it can push like 200FPS in many games...the modern CPU's can't even feed it fast enough...the 980ti is a 1440p card...end of the story...it's way overkill for 1080p gaming and not quite fast enough for 4K. it destroy 1440p gaming and can run max settings at 60FPS+ which is what you want.

Rust, Arma 3, and DayZ. Setting to 150-200% had the games running better than 1080p. We'll see about 1440p. My Acer XR341CK comes today!

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Rust, Arma 3, and DayZ. Setting to 150-200% had the games running better than 1080p. We'll see about 1440p. My Acer XR341CK comes today!

CPU bound games....yes that's normal those games are based on a very poor game engine and it's a well known fact that those games are limited solely by the CPU performance....increasing GPU horsepower for these games will have no real benefit.

What load are you getting 78 deg at? Plus, the Maxwell core is just as big as all other modern GPU cores.

99% load obviously i game at 1440p so the card is pretty much maxed out all the time...and what i mean by ''big'' i guess is ''density'' or number of cuda cores on the die it can very well be the same die size but this card will pull over 300W from the wall on it's own once properly clocked therefore it's a big fucking power hungry chip...it does offer A LOT of performance to say the least though...but it IS indeed a freaking hot chip.

The GM204 found in the GTX 970 and GTX 980 is a much cooler ''smaller'' core...but the GM200 is HUGE.

99% load obviously i game at 1440p so the card is pretty much maxed out all the time...and what i mean by ''big'' i guess is ''density'' or number of cuda cores on the die it can very well be the same die size but this card will pull over 300W from the wall on it's own once properly clocked therefore it's a big fucking power hungry chip...it does offer A LOT of performance to say the least though...but it IS indeed a freaking hot chip.

The GM204 found in the GTX 970 and GTX 980 is a much cooler ''smaller'' core...but the GM200 is HUGE.

78 deg for an air cooler is mighty fine (80 deg 100% F@H load R9 290 here, and those are known to be hot)  :P And I see what you mean by the size now :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats