Intel 4790k temperature issues

Tut
Go to solution Solved by JerkyMcDilerino,

Hmm, no. How would I go about doing that?

AI Tweaker > EPU Power Saving Mode > Enable.

AI Tweaker > Internal CPU Power Management > Enhance Intel Speedstep Technology > Enable. 

To begin, I'm not exactly sure whether it's my CPU or the H80 cooler I currently use.

I idle at about 60ºC. Currently I have it overclocked at 45x and a boost of core clock speed of 102.4.

Thing is, I'm constantly turboing to about 4.4GhZ while doing nothing on my computer, and at ~15-20% load.

I see no dips in performance in games, and I never thermal throttle according to the multitude of programs I use to monitor this. I have the H80's pump running at 100%, and the fan configured correctly. I tried managing the "max processor state" in windows, setting it to about 75%, and I'm seeing the clock speed go down, and the temps with it, all while maintaining performance. Now, this is not ideal obviously since I would get decreased performance in-game, etc, etc. What I'm asking for is a clear answer to either how to stop the constant 4.4 max turbo or if there's a problem with my current setup. Any information that is required I will provide, and if you need me to clarify something just ask.

• CPU
    Intel 4790k
  • Motherboard
    Sabertooth Z97 Mark S

cringe on the daily

To begin, I'm not exactly sure whether it's my CPU or the H80 cooler I currently use.

I idle at about 60ºC. Currently I have it overclocked at 45x and a boost of core clock speed of 102.4.

Thing is, I'm constantly turboing to about 4.4GhZ while doing nothing on my computer, and at ~15-20% load.

I see no dips in performance in games, and I never thermal throttle according to the multitude of programs I use to monitor this. I have the H80's pump running at 100%, and the fan configured correctly. I tried managing the "max processor state" in windows, setting it to about 75%, and I'm seeing the clock speed go down, and the temps with it, all while maintaining performance. Now, this is not ideal obviously since I would get decreased performance in-game, etc, etc. What I'm asking for is a clear answer to either how to stop the constant 4.4 max turbo or if there's a problem with my current setup. Any information that is required I will provide, and if you need me to clarify something just ask.

• CPU
    Intel 4790k
  • Motherboard
    Sabertooth Z97 Mark S

Considering that's close to the temperatures of my 4790K at load with an Arcitc Freezer Pro Rev 2.0, I'd make sure its mounted properly and that the thermal paste is still good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have a 4790k non-OC just running at Turbo (4.4GHz I think?) with a H80i and idle at like 30~C and load is like 60ish?

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Considering that's close to the temperatures of my 4790K at load with an Arcitc Freezer Pro Rev 2.0, I'd make sure its mounted properly and that the thermal paste is still good.

I'll try any suggestions others give me then replace the thermal paste and re-mount the cooler. I doubt it's that though, it's pretty new and I made sure it was secure.

cringe on the daily

I'll try any suggestions others give me then replace the thermal paste and re-mount the cooler. I doubt it's that though, it's pretty new and I made sure it was secure.

Set Windows power options to Balanced and see if it doing good. The way you describe seems like you selected Windows High Performance power options that cause CPU to run at 4.4GHz all the times. 

Set Windows power options to Balanced and see if it doing good. The way you describe seems like you selected Windows High Performance power options that cause CPU to run at 4.4GHz all the times. 

Yeah, it's set to balanced already.

cringe on the daily

Yeah, it's set to balanced already.

Did you enable C state and stuffs along with that in your motherboard bios? 

Did you enable C state and stuffs along with that in your motherboard bios? 

cringe on the daily

Umm i have no idea, but you might want to refer that to your manual book about the C7 state from Intel, and i think you accident turn them off and forgot to turn them back on after you finished stabilize test. 

Umm i have no idea, but you might want to refer that to your manual book about the C7 state from Intel, and i think you accident turn them off and forgot to turn them back on after you finished stabilize test. 

Alright, I'll try now.

cringe on the daily

AI Tweaker > Internal CPU Power Management > Enhance Intel Speedstep Technology > Enable. 

Alright, I'll try now.

Also make sure this feature on your bios is enable as well.

Advanced > CPU Configuration > CPU Power Management Configuration > 1) Enhance Intel Speedstep Technology > Enable

2) CPU C-states > Enable

Looked like that did it! Now running at 1.0-2.5GhZ at idle and about 33ºC. Thank you a bunch!

cringe on the daily

Looked like that did it! Now running at 1.0-2.5GhZ at idle and about 33ºC. Thank you a bunch!

No problem buddy, and i'm glad it solve your problem  :) .