How MicrosoftSoftwareSwap keys are so cheap.

Recently I've been looking into how exactly /r/microsoftsoftwareswap keys are just do damn cheap, and I know that many of you out there have been wondering this as well, so I'm going to share my discoveries and theories on it with you.

There's a thing called MSDN, or Microsoft Developer Network, subscribers to it are able to claim a certain amount of keys for different microsoft products, each of which can be activated a certain amount of times, I suspect that the sellers on MSSS are using this to their advantage, to be able to sell the multiple keys each a couple of times so they can make profit from it while still having prices be low.

I can't quite find where you can buy an MSDN subscription, though what I've read on other sources, it can cost anywhere from $699 to $13299 per year, then renewal fees that are anywhere from $499 to $4249 per year.

Pretty expensive right?

The subscription supposedly gives you access to almost all microsoft software, and all versions of that software, product keys for that software, and who knows what else.

Thinking about it, it's quite possible that that is what they do to sell the wide variety of microsoft products that they do, for such a low price.

And to back up them using MSDN subscriptions for it, when I downloaded a new copy of microsoft office 2010 from one of their links, then went to install it, it said that it is an MSDN product, whereas a regular copy of office 2010 would not have said it is an MSDN product.

Then there's the risk that comes with this for everyone who has purchased a key from them, if they ever end their subscription, I'm fairly sure that will end your product key as well, which could explain what had happened to me a few months ago when my microsoft office 2010 pro plus key stopped working, and the person I had bought it from disappeared from reddit, if they had ended their MSDN subscription and that had caused my key to no longer be valid, then that is definitely something to look out for.

My windows 8 pro key however, that has been working perfectly fine since I got it, and the person who I bought it from is a moderator over on /r/MicrosoftSoftwareSwap, so if you're going to buy something from there, I would suggest buying it from a moderator instead of just a regular seller.

But overall, I'd suggest avoiding it entirely unless you're absolutely desperate, same goes for places like G2A that are selling keys for cheap, I'd assume that they use the same or similar tactics to get their prices low.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

For what it's worth - Microsoft Student Partners get MSDN subscriptions for free (I'm an MSP and I have one), and I'm pretty sure alot of MSP's just sell their free keys on and make bank.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Not paying $90+ for Windows. If the key os deactived and a new one has to be bought. Still,saving money.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Not paying $90+ for Windows. If the key os deactived and a new one has to be bought. Still,saving money.

I agree with that, though if you're going for trying to just save money, there are other options that won't cost you a dime.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I agree with that, though if you're going for trying to just save money, there are other options that won't cost you a dime.

Oh I just get Windows 8/10 at my college for $20 or for free on this website for students :P

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Oh I just get Windows 8/10 at my college for $20 or for free on this website for students :P

Ah, I wish my school gave us discounts on windows or office... (Still in highschool, though I think we might be able to get them, but we just don't know about it)

Ah, I wish my school gave us discounts on windows or office... (Still in highschool, though I think we might be able to get them, but we just don't know about it)

I am in 9th grade :P but I take all my classes at the college, except Math. I am classified as a full time student since I am taking 13 credit hours ( 12 to be full time ) so I can get Windows for $20. Also get some discounts on Apple products, like can get iPad Mini 2 for $250

I am in 9th grade :P but I take all my classes at the college, except Math. I am classified as a full time student since I am taking 13 credit hours ( 12 to be full time ) so I can get Windows for $20. Also get some discounts on Apple products, like can get iPad Mini 2 for $250

Damn.

I just checked and it doesn't look like either of the schools I'm enrolled in offers discounts on microsoft products.. 

I might just get another key from one of the moderators at MSSS because it's cheap and not as bad as straight up pirating the software..

Damn.

I just checked and it doesn't look like either of the schools I'm enrolled in offers discounts on microsoft products.. 

I might just get another key from one of the moderators at MSSS because it's cheap and not as bad as straight up pirating the software..

Yeah some way, some how, MS is getting money

• 2 months later...

This subreddit is scam.. They are friends or the same person which are "reputated" sellers and they doesn't allow any other sellers or anyone else to make posts on the subreddit. I bought a key 3 months ago and it worked the day after I got it but now 3 months after it's not working anymore and I copied from the same PM I got 3 months ago so no typo wrong or so.

It's probably keys that they got from companys or bought from "hackers" and they work for a bit but not forever. Works one time but nothing that will work for a long time.

The guy who scammed me is https://www.reddit.com/user/DNK13

7 hours ago, bebbzor said:

This subreddit is scam.. They are friends or the same person which are "reputated" sellers and they doesn't allow any other sellers or anyone else to make posts on the subreddit. I bought a key 3 months ago and it worked the day after I got it but now 3 months after it's not working anymore and I copied from the same PM I got 3 months ago so no typo wrong or so.

It's probably keys that they got from companys or bought from "hackers" and they work for a bit but not forever. Works one time but nothing that will work for a long time.

The guy who scammed me is https://www.reddit.com/user/DNK13

I've been using my windows 8.1 pro key from there for probably 10 months now without a single issue, though my microsoft office 2012 key had become invalid after a few months..