Switching to air cooling once again

Daniel123dk

So im switching to air cooling once again, and wondered which cooler i should get.

Can You Guys please argument below for which cpu cooler i should get.

My needs:

- has to be black or grey

- has to be silent

- be able to cool my overclocked 4690k while remaining silent

- should also look good ( :P )

Price doesn't really matter

Thanks, and remember, i need arguments !

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Playstation Pulse Headset Corsair Air 540 | Deiog DY-200 | AOC G2460Fq 

Dell Keyboard | 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings PWM 120mm 

Built  Not Bought

So im switching to air cooling once again, and wondered which cooler i should get.

Can You Guys please argument below for which cpu cooler i should get.

My needs:

- has to be black or grey

- has to be silent

- be able to cool my overclocked 4690k while remaining silent

- should also look good ( :P )

Price doesn't really matter

Thanks, and remember, i need arguments !

You pretty much have 3 options:

1. The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the one you're most likely to go for, it kicks ass, and a lot of people think it looks bitchin'. It is black, quiet, and should do a fine job of keeping your 4690K cool.
  2. The Noctua NH-D15 is pretty much the best air cooler on the market. It's big, a lot of people think it's ugly (I think it looks kinda cool), it's one of the best coolers out there. It also has the Noctua quality along with it, and is a breeze to install (unlike the Dark Rock Pro 3, see the link below for the LTT review on it).
  3. The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is kind of the middleground between the two. I believe it performs better than the be quiet!, but not as good as the Noctua. It does look awesome, though. 

For your criteria, the Dark Rock Pro 3 is probably your best bet.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€79.63 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €79.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-15 00:22 CET+0100

If your case fits it...

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

1. The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the one you're most likely to go for, it kicks ass, and a lot of people think it looks bitchin'. It is black, quiet, and should do a fine job of keeping your 4690K cool.
  2. The Noctua NH-D15 is pretty much the best air cooler on the market. It's big, a lot of people think it's ugly (I think it looks kinda cool), it's one of the best coolers out there. It also has the Noctua quality along with it, and is a breeze to install (unlike the Dark Rock Pro 3, see the link below for the LTT review on it).
  3. The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is kind of the middleground between the two. I believe it performs better than the be quiet!, but not as good as the Noctua. It does look awesome, though. 

Agreed.

Tony T

• The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the one you're most likely to go for, it kicks ass, and a lot of people think it looks bitchin'. It is black, quiet, and should do a fine job of keeping your 4690K cool.
  • The Noctua NH-D15 is pretty much the best air cooler on the market. It's big, a lot of people think it's ugly (I think it looks kinda cool), it's one of the best coolers out there. It also has the Noctua quality along with it, and is a breeze to install (unlike the Dark Rock Pro 3, see the link below for the LTT review on it).
  • The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is kind of the middleground between the two. I believe it performs better than the be quiet!, but not as good as the Noctua. It does look awesome, though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIx0JFEyLuQ

Finally a person that put things into perspective, thank You so Much for the comment, that was use gul, for sure! :-)

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Built  Not Bought

Is there a reason your not going with a aio?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-triton-360mm-aio-water-cooling-solution-hs-025-rt.html This 360mm rad Triton should be really quite since its a bigger rad then most aios the fans dont have to ramp up so much

Is there a reason your not going with a aio?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-triton-360mm-aio-water-cooling-solution-hs-025-rt.html This 360mm rad Triton should be really quite since its a bigger rad then most aios the fans dont have to ramp up so much

Ive tried both aio and custom loop. But all i end up really missing is the true and only air cooling ;)

Built  Not Bought

Finally a person that put things into perspective, thank You so Much for the comment, that was use gul, for sure! :-)

You're welcome. :)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

• The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the one you're most likely to go for, it kicks ass, and a lot of people think it looks bitchin'. It is black, quiet, and should do a fine job of keeping your 4690K cool.
  • The Noctua NH-D15 is pretty much the best air cooler on the market. It's big, a lot of people think it's ugly (I think it looks kinda cool), it's one of the best coolers out there. It also has the Noctua quality along with it, and is a breeze to install (unlike the Dark Rock Pro 3, see the link below for the LTT review on it).
  • The Cryorig R1 Ultimate is kind of the middleground between the two. I believe it performs better than the be quiet!, but not as good as the Noctua. It does look awesome, though.
The R1 Ultimate and NH-D15 perform similarly and have excellent mounting hardware. The main difference is that the NH-D15 is quieter. The DRP3's mounting hardware isn't nearly as easy to use.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The R1 Ultimate and NH-D15 perform similarly and have excellent mounting hardware. The main difference is that the NH-D15 is quieter. The DRP3's mounting hardware isn't nearly as easy to use.

Quieter and it has a more throaty sound to the motor if you are next to it.  The R1 Ultimate and Univeral fans produce more of a whine.