Value Comparison - Gsync vs FreeSync

CostcoSamples1

I'm bored at work so I built a spreadsheet to compare AMD vs Nvidia GPU + Display.  All prices are in Canadian dollars, dual GPU scaling is assumed as 1.9, and I simply took the best currently available GPU for either side.  As Nvidia cards come with pretty nice factory OC, while AMDs do not, this comparison is important.  Nobody buys a reference 980 ti.  Performance numbers are at 1440p.

*Edit: Updated prices, added a few more games.

post-270762-0-10482100-1447177866_thumb.

So there you go.  Nvidia wins on total performance AND total value.  Please keep in mind this is based on a relatively small sample size of games.  Other things to consider is DX12 performance, where Fury X easily catches up to 980 ti.  The new AMD drivers are expected to give a pretty good performance boost for Windows 10 users, so that is also important to note.  A 10% performance bump due to better drivers in Windows 10 makes it an even tie for value (though 980 ti still wins performance crown).  

Interesting (assuming maths is correct)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nobody buys a reference 980 ti.

Except me.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.0GHz | Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Quad Channel | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Reference | Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Black | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Display: LG 34UM67 Ultrawide Monitor (x2) Vertically Mounted | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61

Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K50 | Mouse: Mionix Naos | Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 770

To me, this doesn't tell which one is actually better. You're testing the performance of each card, not the experience of FreeSync vs G-Sync.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This doesn't actually advise you which one to buy though? 

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

To me, this doesn't tell which one is actually better. You're testing the performance of each card, not the experience of FreeSync vs G-Sync.

That's why it is titled "value comparison" - you have to include the GPU price and performance in this calculation.

Except me.

You also have quad-channel RAM in a dual channel-only motherboard according to your sig, so I guess that's not a good idea to take you as an example ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

This doesn't actually advise you which one to buy though? 

It gives you some extra info for anyone thinking about buying today.  I think the data suggests Nvidia is a better way to go right now if you can afford the extra $200 (basically this is the cost of the Gsync module).  The two monitors compared use the same panel, only difference is Gsync module and branding.

Ok so you want to compare performance per dollar between the 980ti and Fury X with their 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync/Freesync monitors...

Your prices are outdated.

You don't need specifically the 980ti and Fury X to be able to use Gsync/Freesync.

The outcome would be different if you were to use the 980 vs 390X, or 970 vs 390

Thank you for pointing out the price.  I double checked and found a Fury X for $855 CAD.  Oops, my monitor prices are off as well.  I'll edit OP with new sheet.

Cross compatibility for adaptive sync???  please explain.

IMHO i think you must be a bit silly to spend 900$ on an AMD GPU at this point in time and another 700$ on a freesync monitor knowing that AMD might no longer even be around at the same time next year to provide further driver support and bug fixes...or pushing out high-end freesync compatible GPU's...

''DUCK, stones incoming!''

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Not about any sort of cross compatibility.

My point is that there are other tiers of cards that could have been used for this 'value comparison'

You can't generalize that Gsync is batter value by comparing only the 980ti and Fury X 

Oh I see what you mean.  You are right of course, but my thinking was that for 1440p gaming on a $700 to $900 display, you'd want a flagship GPU to power it.  Most people with a mid range GPU won't buy a high end display.  It would be an interesting comparison though.  Perhaps if I can find the time I'll add in a few more cards to see how things change.

IMHO i think you must be a bit silly to spend 900$ on an AMD GPU at this point in time and another 700$ on a freesync monitor knowing that AMD might no longer even be around at the same time next year to provide further driver support and bug fixes...or pushing out high-end freesync compatible GPU's...

''DUCK, stones incoming!''

Lol yeah, I know what you mean.  AMD's financial woes are troubling, but their GPU division is still successful and competitive.  Even if they go bankrupt, the GPU division will still be around in some form.  I wouldn't let that sway my decision at this point.

Like always the little Hitler youth try to distort reality. Correct no one will buy a top end monitor from 700 to 1300 dollars then use a lower end Nvidia GPU with it so you have to compare it using the TI or Titan. By the way the module in the g-sync is worth nothing hardly its the royalty fees Nvidia makes the monitor companies pay to certify g-sync.

Interesting (assuming maths is correct)

I double checked the maths and corrected an error for dual gpu $$$/FPS.  Also added a few more games and updated prices as pointed out by others.

You also have quad-channel RAM in a dual channel-only motherboard according to your sig, so I guess that's not a good idea to take you as an example ^^

Welp, I guess i'm stupid.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.0GHz | Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Quad Channel | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Reference | Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Black | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Display: LG 34UM67 Ultrawide Monitor (x2) Vertically Mounted | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61

Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K50 | Mouse: Mionix Naos | Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 770

This is 980 Ti vs. Fury X in selected games, not comparable G-Sync vs. Freesync monitors.

Dude, it's a value comparison.  In order to properly calculate, one must include GPU prices and performance.  The monitors (MG279Q and XB270HU) have the same specs and use the exact same panel from AU Optronics.  

Do you have a better way to compare value between Gsync and Freesync?  I'm open to suggestions.

Dude, it's a value comparison.  In order to properly calculate, one must include GPU prices and performance.  The monitors (MG279Q and XB270HU) have the same specs and use the exact same panel from AU Optronics.  

Do you have a better way to compare value between Gsync and Freesync?  I'm open to suggestions.

Test specific monitors out and see how they perform with the respective cards?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Test specific monitors out and see how they perform with the respective cards?

Are you asking me to buy a bunch of monitors, test various configurations, and present you the results?  wow.  so helpful.