Which GTX 780 should I get?

thexzenon
Go to solution Solved by thaamazingguy,

Where can I find this thing in Europe? I need shipping as well as I've mentioned in the first post. If I can't find one, I'll probably get an EVGA cause it looks better than most MSI cards, but maybe MSI will surprise us.

amazon ships worldwide and you can follow KFA2.com last time i checked it it had the 770 HOF ;)

i saw the ACX cooler on my friends rig it was the 770ACX and it doesnt look that good it is plastic which makes it look cheap but it really depends on how your system looks if it is all black than ACX might be better looking on your rig

I'll buy a GTX 780 really soon and I was wondering which I should buy. I was thinking of the EVGA one with the ACX cooler, but then I found out about the HoF which looks sooo bad-ass. But the Lightning will also be launched soon and now I have no idea what to get (1st world problems).

I will get a card AFTER the release date of the Lightning (given it's at the end of August, otherwise I don't know for sure).

I like the HoF most (aesthetically speaking) but the problem is it's really hard to find an online shop that sells it. I'm from Romania and I couldn't find it anywhere on local shops (local as in Romanian) so I'd be interested in a shop in Europe with shipping.

Do you guys think the MSI will outperform the HoF?Or do you know what performance difference there is between an OC'd EVGA and the Galaxy one so I know to get the EVGA in case the difference is minor.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I know you guys will help me :)

Also, no, I will not wait for the AMD cards.

EDIT: I am also not much into AMD, just like nVidia more.

Wait for the 9000 series from AMD, something like a 9970 will probably be a better deal.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

This thread started out nicely, it reminds me of when I was joking on another thread which said "WON'T WAIT FOR 9XXX" xD

I would either go with the EVGA or the MSI one. The temperatures for these are pretty close but the MSI one beats the two cards by a few degrees which isn't much imo. 

MSI: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_780_gaming_review,8.html

EVGA: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_sc_acx_review,8.html

Galaxy: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/08/14/galaxy_geforce_gtx_780_hof_edition_review/7

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Any non-single fan 780 cooler will have pretty similar performance. just get the cheapest one or one you like.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Wait for the 9000 series from AMD, something like a 9970 will probably be a better deal.

How long til 9000 series?

Galaxy GTX 780 HOF 

why?

1-Fastest GTX 780. even faster than the TİTAN on most of the games 
2-sexiest lookin card evarr (personally)
3-only 40$ more than the reference GTX 780

71tRdg928rL._SL1500_.jpg

How long til 9000 series?

Some time in q4 of this year, so around october probably.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Galaxy GTX 780 HOF 

why?

1-Fastest GTX 780. even faster than the TİTAN on most of the games 

2-sexiest lookin card evarr (personally)

3-only 40$ more than the reference GTX 780

71tRdg928rL._SL1500_.jpg

Where can I find this thing in Europe? I need shipping as well as I've mentioned in the first post. If I can't find one, I'll probably get an EVGA cause it looks better than most MSI cards, but maybe MSI will surprise us.

Got EVGA. Great support, design and excellent overclockability!

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Just bought an EVGA GTX 780 its really nice and it looks like a titan with the stock cooler :)

I bought EVGA 780 SC w/ACX (replaced with Koolance Waterblock) and the performance is awesome.

Read you.

Id have to pick the EVGA 780 SC with the ACX as well... that thing is badass IMHO

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

amazon ships worldwide and you can follow KFA2.com last time i checked it it had the 770 HOF ;)

i saw the ACX cooler on my friends rig it was the 770ACX and it doesnt look that good it is plastic which makes it look cheap but it really depends on how your system looks if it is all black than ACX might be better looking on your rig

I totally forgot about Amazon. And it's waaaay cheaper than a reference 780 in my country. HoF it is, ty Hulk..I mean thaamazingguy.

it's actually getting annoying seeing people put up "wait for 9000 series" i see you are looking for a 780 and i will answer the queation your are asking with the aproite answer and NOT "wait for a 9000 series" 

anyway the reference ones are pretty cool although they are not clocked at crazy speeds there pretty good if you want something a bit different, MSI have i 780 with a super nice cooler on it and asus has a Direct CU II version that's actually really nice and Gigabyte have a totally BOSS windforce cooler version (it's a little bit more expensive though)

and there is no 780 that cant run the list of games you have there

hope i helped

The HOF is available in the EU right now!

Link: www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php? prodid=GX-051-KF

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

The HOF is available in the EU right now!

Link: www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php? prodid=GX-051-KF

Thanks for the link, but it's both more expensive than on amazon and they don't ship to Romania as far as I know.

I am in a similar position to the OP (wanting to buy a new GTX 780 and not sure which one) and was leaning towards the reference card forrmat, but am reading where people are saying the reference card is louder than other versions.  Also the reference cards are supposed to run slightly hotter as well.  I was hoping some owners of reference cards could provide any actual experiences.

Thanks, Scott

I am in a similar position to the OP (wanting to buy a new GTX 780 and not sure which one) and was leaning towards the reference card forrmat, but am reading where people are saying the reference card is louder than other versions.  Also the reference cards are supposed to run slightly hotter as well.  I was hoping some owners of reference cards could provide any actual experiences.

Thanks, Scott

Heres an article comparing all of the best 780s out there http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-custom-models-roundup/

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Thanks for the link!  The EVGA ACX card (although need to learn more about what makes it "classified") is what I was considering instead of the refence card.  Can I ask why you got the HOF card instead?

Thanks again.