Please Help! (Rootkits)

Number

Im really scared that I might have got a rootkit when installing drivers from a different site. Im using kasperskys TDSS Killer but how likely is it for a rootkill to infect my hardware?

Thanks!

Numbre

You should NEVER install drivers from anywhere else than the manufacturers website. ever.

So is it infected with virus'?

Numbre

Honestly reinstall windows just to be safe, also if you have adware it is actually easier to reinstall windows than trying to remove the adware.

Quote me to get a reply!

First of all what seems to be the problem? Why do you think you have a rootkit on your computer?

If death has no cost, life has no worth

The dead are gone, the living are hungry

Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

If you still have the files, try uploading them to VirusTotal. It should give you a good idea whether or not the files are safe.

I need to stop lurking.

how likely is it for a rootkill to infect my hardware?

0% likely.  It will infect the OS, which can be easily and quickly reinstalled at will.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

First of all what seems to be the problem? Why do you think you have a rootkit on your computer?

My friend @babadoctor showed me a linustechtips TechQuickie video about rootkits and how if you install drivers from a different source than the manufacturers. You can get a rootkit. Then I started to panic. :C

Numbre

Honestly reinstall windows just to be safe, also if you have adware it is actually easier to reinstall windows than trying to remove the adware.

100% true, I got some adware one time and I ran AVG like 20 times and each time it found some more adware it made to sense, but it's gone now

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Did you run the scans? We don't know, we're not wizards. Run those scans and repot back.

Both scans detected no threats.

Numbre

I am still confused as to how he thinks there's a rootkit on his computer. Symptom, signs, he didn't even list it.

In any case, a fresh install wont do. Nuke the drive and then install the OS. Rootkit are know to persist after a install over a previous OS.

My friend @babadoctor showed me a linustechtips TechQuickie video about rootkits and how if you install drivers from a different source than the manufacturers. You can get a rootkit. Then I started to panic. :C

If you don't have symptom of a rootkit infection then you don't have it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you don't have symptom of a rootkit infection then you don't have it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What are the symptoms?

Numbre

What are the symptoms?

To start off, the most common rootkit will disable your anti virus, change your admin level and eat your process. Install adware without your permission.

The nasty one will infect your bios, so reinstalling OS will do absolutely nothing. It will change your bios setting that can cause crash and fried gpu/cpu.

I am still confused as to how he thinks there's a rootkit on his computer. Symptom, signs, he didn't even list it.

In any case, a fresh install wont do. Nuke the drive and then install the OS. Rootkit are know to persist after a install over a previous OS.

What should I use to nuke the drive?

Numbre

What should I use to nuke the drive?

dban, I would consider taking another look before nuking the drive.. Also if you do nuke your hdd, I am not responsible for what you do.

dban, I would consider taking another look before nuking the drive.. Also if you do nuke your hdd, I am not responsible for what you do.

What do you mean by taking another look? Also the drive doesnt really have anything on it. Can it physically stop my hard drive from working?

Numbre

What do you mean by taking another look? Also the drive doesnt really have anything on it. Can it physically stop my hard drive from working?

TBH from the information you've given me, there is no rootkit on your computer.

Dban don't give a crap how empty your hdd is, if it's 1tb it will wipe the 1tb thoroughly.

TBH from the information you've given me, there is no rootkit on your computer.

Dban don't give a crap how empty your hdd is, if it's 1tb it will wipe the 1tb thoroughly.

Should I nuke to be safe?

Numbre