Motherboard Search

Here's one.  Doesn't support overclocking but your chosen CPU also doesn't so it's not an issue.  Also it's a budget board with no USB3 front headers and only 2 SATA3 + 2 SATA2 connections.  But really there is nothing midrange that fits your spec, it seems to either be super budget or super expensive only.  If you're OK with using a USB WIFI adapter, any LGA 1150 board will do you just fine.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h81mitxwifi

I'm currently looking for the cheapest possible motherboard that is Mini-ITX, supports the i5-4460, has onboard WiFi, and is reliable. The motherboard will be going in this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kk8G8d

GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Here's one.  Doesn't support overclocking but your chosen CPU also doesn't so it's not an issue.  Also it's a budget board with no USB3 front headers and only 2 SATA3 + 2 SATA2 connections.  But really there is nothing midrange that fits your spec, it seems to either be super budget or super expensive only.  If you're OK with using a USB WIFI adapter, any LGA 1150 board will do you just fine.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h81mitxwifi

GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI

OK, I think I'm going with the Gigabyte, because I've had several recommendations of it. I really need the onboard WiFi, and the lack of USB3 front headers is a complete deal breaker, but thanks for the advice. I guess the motherboard isn't the place to cut costs.

GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI

This ^

But the H97 model. You will save $ since you arennot overclocking.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

OK, I think I'm going with the Gigabyte, because I've had several recommendations of it. I really need the onboard WiFi, and the lack of USB3 front headers is a complete deal breaker, but thanks for the advice. I guess the motherboard isn't the place to cut costs.

It's really unfortunate with mini ITX, they always cost more for what you get vs. MATX/ATX and also your options are much more limited.

This ^

But the H97 model. You will save $ since you arennot overclocking.

The price difference is minimal and the upgradability for overclockable chips is worth the extra dough. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

It's really unfortunate with mini ITX, they always cost more for what you get vs. MATX/ATX and also your options are much more limited.

Yeah, I've been noticing that, but it needs to fit in the Corsair 380t case (Mini-ITX only), because it has a handle, and I'm going to be moving the build around a lot.

The price difference is minimal and the upgradability for overclockable chips is worth the extra dough. 

I think that if/when I upgrade my CPU, I'll be stepping up to a mid-high end Skylake. Is this motherboard compatible with that? If not, I think I'll go with the H97.

I think that if/when I upgrade my CPU, I'll be stepping up to a mid-high end Skylake. Is this motherboard compatible with that? If not, I think I'll go with the H97.

Go with the H97 then. Socket LGA-1150 boards are not compatible with Skylake CPU' s as they run on socket LGA-1151.

You need a LGA 1151 (H170, Z170) board for Skylake and also DDR4 memory.

No board can or will be compatible with both Haswell and Skylake they are totally different from each other.

Go with the H97 then. Socket LGA-1150 boards are not compatible with Skylake CPU' s as they run on socket LGA-1151.

You need a LGA 1151 (H170, Z170) board for Skylake and also DDR4 memory.

No board can or will be compatible with both Haswell and Skylake they are totally different from each other.

OK. I think I will be going H97. Also, does anyone know the difference between Windows OEM, and retail? I want my copy of windows to work even if I switch motherboards, so which one should I buy?

OK. I think I will be going H97. Also, does anyone know the difference between Windows OEM, and retail? I want my copy of windows to work even if I switch motherboards, so which one should I buy?

OEM versions are attached to a given PC (hence OEM) and retail is not - you can move the installation to more than one PC provided that it runs on only one PC at the time. This is typically the case for people that build their own computers.

Functionally they are the same. It is just a legal issue.

OEM versions are attached to a given PC (hence OEM) and retail is not - you can move the installation to more than one PC provided that it runs on only one PC at the time. This is typically the case for people that build their own computers.

Functionally they are the same. It is just a legal issue.

On an OEM copy, could I switch the motherboard without NEEDING to pay for a new copy, or would changes to the system invalidate the copy? If OEM prevents me from changing components, where could I find a retail copy? I was unable to find one at the retailer I'm buying my PC parts from, and I have 24 hours to finish all of my planning.

On an OEM copy, could I switch the motherboard without NEEDING to pay for a new copy, or would changes to the system invalidate the copy? If OEM prevents me from changing components, where could I find a retail copy? I was unable to find one at the retailer I'm buying my PC parts from, and I have 24 hours to finish all of my planning.

OEM is fine. Just reenter the key if it doesn't automatically revalidate. I'd recommend purchasing a key from Reddit's SoftwareSwap or G2A for much cheaper (around 25 USD).

OEM is fine. Just reenter the key if it doesn't automatically revalidate. I'd recommend purchasing a key from Reddit's SoftwareSwap or G2A for much cheaper (around 25 USD).

Awesome! I think I'll steer clear of those sites because I've looked into both, and they sell pretty sketchy grey-market copies. Copies from them might as well be pirated from a legal standpoint.

1) Keys will often not activate if they're OEM and you switch motherboards.

2) MS SoftwareSwap is illegal, and at that point you might as well just pirate and get it for free.

@DoctorEeevil

If you want to change motherboards have have it garunteed to work you must pick up the retail copy but they're quite rare I find and also very expensive.  Make a good motherboard choice - do not plan to quickly upgrade your CPU and then you won't need a new motherboard.  Then you can use OEM and will not even have the issue.