HD DVD drive/player

SirReallySam
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

ahhh haaaa :D thankyou, but I think I might go with the xbox ad-on just because it's cheap :)

Can you use that with a computer, or do you have an xbox laying around?

Just an FYI, I have the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on, and it does indeed work on a PC. It's a bit weird, and doesn't show up exactly the same as a normal optical drive, but it still works, and you can watch HD DVD's. You need to use an HD compliant player though. such as PowerDVD HD, or TotalMedia Theatre (This one is a lot nicer). Oh, and I tried this both on Windows 7 and Windows 8 with it working on both. I have it hooked up to my Windows 8 HTPC right now. Even works with MakeMKV (Though not as well. They never fully finished support for HD DVD's in that software because they lost the format war).

Another option I found on ebay is this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAMSUNG-BD-UP5000-Blu-Ray-and-HD-DVD-Combo-Player-/121102272620?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1c3242086c&_uhb=1

It's a set-top HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo player.

I also found this - LG GGW-H20L:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LG-Blu-ray-6X-Burner-Writer-HD-DVD-Drive-GGW-H20L-BH20L-NEW-/271259270554?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item3f284ffd9a&_uhb=1

The picture and specs seem to be off on the listing, but looking up the specs of that model number confirms it is in fact a HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive. Also, it's internal SATA, so it'll work great with HTPC's. I would recommend messaging the seller to confirm product details before buying though.

I know that HD DVD is a dead format etc etc... But I was looking for a drive for a media PC or perhaps a blueray/HD DVD combo drive. Even a player for the TV with both Blueray and HD DVD would be good now I think about it...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

get a ps4 or ps3(thats what i have done)?

and i like asus optical drives

get a ps4 or ps3(thats what i have done)?

and i like asus optical drives

PS3s don't play HD DVD bro, I tried it's blueray and DVD not HD DVD it's a different format.

PROFILEYEAH

The cheapest one from a decent brand will do. As for the BluRay, go for either an LG or a Sony one.

I can't find any HD DVD drives for sale though!

Other than an attachment to an Xbox 360... But I didn't want to have to get that.

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

I can't find any HD DVD drives for sale though!

Other than an attachment to an Xbox 360... But I didn't want to have to get that.

You could obtain a copy of your media from "elsewhere" if you can't find one as you have a physical copy with no way to play it.

You could obtain a copy of your media from "elsewhere" if you can't find one as you have a physical copy with no way to play it.

I suppose, But like D: I want to be able to play HD DVD, kind of a collection of dead formats I'm collecting here ;) so maybe with an Xbox 360 is the way to go, as the drive in my one is  kind of broken anyway, like it random closes and I have nearly chopped dvds/games in half because of it. So an external drive could actually help that! Now I'm a PC gamer now, I hardly go on it anyways, only really to watch DVDs while sitting on the sofa...

PROFILEYEAH

LG drive ;)

Build an XBMC box and you're laughing. It'l do everything you want and a whole lot more :)

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

PS3s don't play HD DVD bro, I tried it's blueray and DVD not HD DVD it's a different format.

Plus a PS3/PS4 will cost significantly more than a Blu-ray drive.

samsung make some really nice blu ray players

btw where do you live it helps so we can find deals for you

samsung make some really nice blu ray players

btw where do you live it helps so we can find deals for you

I live in Switzerland, but I buy quite a lot of my electronics in the UK...

Also don't forget the HD DVD! :)

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

hey i found a pretty good deal

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDP-S185-Blu-ray-player-starter/dp/B008FY158O

comes with 8 blu ray films

sony made is so its trustworthy i guess, they did help to make blu ray

I'm not sure that people understand what I want, an HD DVD player to play these!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/300-HD-DVD-Gerard-Butler/dp/B000VE2M2O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012851&sr=8-5&keywords=HD+DVD

Not an up-scaling Blueray player!

So far this is all i have found...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Player/dp/B000FNKQCE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012905&sr=8-4&keywords=HD+dvd+player

PROFILEYEAH

"HD DVD (short for High-Definition/Density DVD) is a discontinued high-density optical disc format for storing data and high-definition video.[1] Supported principally by Toshiba, HD DVD was envisioned to be the successor to the standard DVD format. In February 2008, after a protracted format war with rival Blu-ray Disc, Toshiba abandoned the format, announcing it no longer developed or manufactured HD DVD players or drives.[1] The HD DVD physical disc specifications (but not the codecs) were still in use as the basis for the China Blue High-definition Disc (CBHD) formerly called CH-DVD. The HD DVD Promotion Group was dissolved on March 28, 2008.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

Something like this that I have finally found.... BUT IT's So expensive! :O

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HD-EP30-Player-With-1080P/dp/B000W4EB22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377013462&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+hd+dvd+player

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

ahhh haaaa :D thankyou, but I think I might go with the xbox ad-on just because it's cheap :)

PROFILEYEAH

I have an Xbox laying around, I wonder if there are some drivers I can install to make it would with a pc :D like back in the day when you could use drivers to make the eyetoy work as a webcam on Windows XP :D I tried it on 7, it doesn't work :(

*actually had to BUY a webcam ! :O I was shocked!

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

Just an FYI, I have the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on, and it does indeed work on a PC. It's a bit weird, and doesn't show up exactly the same as a normal optical drive, but it still works, and you can watch HD DVD's. You need to use an HD compliant player though. such as PowerDVD HD, or TotalMedia Theatre (This one is a lot nicer). Oh, and I tried this both on Windows 7 and Windows 8 with it working on both. I have it hooked up to my Windows 8 HTPC right now. Even works with MakeMKV (Though not as well. They never fully finished support for HD DVD's in that software because they lost the format war).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAMSUNG-BD-UP5000-Blu-Ray-and-HD-DVD-Combo-Player-/121102272620?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1c3242086c&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LG-Blu-ray-6X-Burner-Writer-HD-DVD-Drive-GGW-H20L-BH20L-NEW-/271259270554?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item3f284ffd9a&_uhb=1

The picture and specs seem to be off on the listing, but looking up the specs of that model number confirms it is in fact a HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive. Also, it's internal SATA, so it'll work great with HTPC's. I would recommend messaging the seller to confirm product details before buying though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That's sick man :D thanks for the heads up! XD

PROFILEYEAH

I was laughing my ass off at how many posters mis-interpreted what you were asking, and kept posting link after link to Blu-Ray only players :P I also have a collection of HD DVD's (Though not large, about a dozen to 2 dozen). I've ripped them all to my computer using the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on + MakeMKV, but a few of the discs won't rip, so those ones I just drop in the player and watch off the disc.

I myself would actually like to get that LG internal combo drive eventually. I want to consolidate my SATA blu-ray drive and external xbox hd dvd drive into one internal drive. I'd then take my other Blu-Ray drive and put it back into my gaming machine.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I was laughing my ass off at how many posters mis-interpreted what you were asking, and kept posting link after link to Blu-Ray only players :P I also have a collection of HD DVD's (Though not large, about a dozen to 2 dozen). I've ripped them all to my computer using the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on + MakeMKV, but a few of the discs won't rip, so those ones I just drop in the player and watch off the disc.

I myself would actually like to get that LG internal combo drive eventually. I want to consolidate my SATA blu-ray drive and external xbox hd dvd drive into one internal drive. I'd then take my other Blu-Ray drive and put it back into my gaming machine.

Thanks for all the useful stuff man :) I was beginning to think no one EVER knows what HD DVD is ! XD

Also could you send a link to that combo internal drive!

PROFILEYEAH

Thanks for all the useful stuff man :) I was beginning to think no one EVER knows what HD DVD is ! XD

Also could you send a link to that combo internal drive!

I did already ^.^ lol it's the 2nd link in my other post there: The LG GGW-H20L