steam_api.dll trojan ?

Midnitewarrior4

so my antivirus says that a steam_api.dll file is a "high" risk item an needs to be removed but if it is my game wont run and says cannot start program cause steam_api.dll is misisng

should i be worried about it or just a normal file that my antivirus is being a noob about ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

What is your anti-virus?

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

Are you pirating ? Just asking :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Yeah it is fine,

What is your anti-virus?

norton

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

Are you pirating ? Just asking :D

maybe...  :ph34r:

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

maybe that's the problem..  :ph34r:

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

if you are, it may be the issue

if not

it has happened to me before a Steam_Api.dll has been recognized as a virus

and I got really pissed at it and uninstalled my anti-virus  

AVG was famous for this and other false positives, assuming it is one.

That said, I've heard of situations where AVs have detected legit Steam game files as infections, removed, them, Steam puts them back, etc, etc, and the loop goes on :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

maybe that's the problem..  :ph34r:

but how ? 

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

WOW, you really need to scan your entire PC for viruses now. TORRENTED games usually have viruses.

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

WOW, you really need to scan your entire PC for viruses now. TORRENTED games usually have viruses.

why whats wrong ? was it something in the report ? cause i scan with malware bytes and norton anytime i download any files online and so far theres nothing but this one

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

but how ? 

Wait, did you on https://www.virustotal.com/ rescan the file and not look at previous scans?

but how ? 

Game cracks usually contain viruses. (Source: A former pirate.)

I am who I am.

Wait, did you on https://www.virustotal.com/ rescan the file and not look at previous scans?

what was I supposed to do ? Sorry I don't know much about programs
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Game cracks usually contain viruses. (Source: A former pirate.)

the source I may or may not get them from cause you know I may or may not pirate, seems to be decent and I haven't detected a virus yet, and I scan with malware bytes and Norton regularly and nothing shoes up as I said until this one file caught Nortons attention
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

but how ? 

Steam_api.dll is one of the files that gets cracked to allow you to run the game and bypass Steam's DRM.

Your copy of the game is a pirated version. No mistake.

Now, this could be a false positive or it could be a virus. I don't know. If you want to 100% safe, then buy a legit copy of the game through Steam or G2A if you want it cheaper.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

what was I supposed to do ? Sorry I don't know much about programs

When you upload the file, you must select that you want to re scan the file not view last analysis 

When you upload the file, you must select that you want to re scan the file not view last analysis

ok will do I'll let you know
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

the source I may or may not get them from cause you know I may or may not pirate, seems to be decent and I haven't detected a virus yet, and I scan with malware bytes and Norton regularly and nothing shoes up as I said until this one file caught Nortons attention

Also it is only illegal if you are DISTRIBUTING the pirated software like seeding so it is fine to be honest because in reality everyone here is a pirate.

so my antivirus says that a steam_api.dll file is a "high" risk item an needs to be removed but if it is my game wont run and says cannot start program cause steam_api.dll is misisng

should i be worried about it or just a normal file that my antivirus is being a noob about ?

There's nothing wrong with the file, it's a Steam crack file for pirated games.  It blocks connections to Steam and acts as a fake auth server so you can launch without Steam. Naughty pirate!

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Steam_api.dll is one of the files that gets cracked to allow you to run the game and bypass Steam.

Your copy of the game is a pirated version. No mistake.

Now, this could be a false positive or it could be a virus. I don't know. If you want to 100% safe, then buy a legit copy of the game.

u do usually get a legit copy, but I usually possible pirate it as a "trial" so see if I even want the game after playing it for a couple hours, and if I still play it I wait for a sale and buy it, and it's not big games like gta or fallout it's usually smaller games like dirt rally and farm sim
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

There's nothing wrong with the file, it's a Steam crack file for pirated games. It blocks connections to Steam and acts as a fake auth server so you can launch without Steam. Naughty pirate!

I feel like that one guy getting chased by a mob with pitchforks atm xD
Spoiler

and a car thread !