Unexpected, random freezes! Help

alleyn321
Go to solution Solved by alleyn321,

Update: Replaced the CPU with new one and everything seems to be working. After all the B-Grade CPU was not returned as Unwanted but I believe some other guy had the same problem and OcUk didnt test the CPU good enough but Replaced it for me immediately without problems ( Actually they gave me new one so I made 35£ :D )

Hello LinusTechTips member!

Tittle says it all. Im getting random freezes sometimes after 5 hours and sometimes after 5 mins ( Idle / Maxed out doesnt matter )

My Rams are 2133Mhz which are fully supported by my motherboard ( OC 2133Mhz ) but not fully supported by my CPU AMD FX which I just found out.

You might be asking "why didn't he check before buying?" .. I did check very well but OverclockersUk has false details about AMD FX memory support speeds. They say AMD FX supports up to 2400Mhz while AMD official website says 1866Mhz.

So might this be the problem? Faulty / Not Supported rams? The Rams are set to Auto in Bios and are running at 1600Mhz so Im not sure now

Then it could be my CPU. I bought the CPU as B-grade item ( Unwated > Returned within 14 days or Box missing etc ) so Im thinking it could be the CPU? I turned off AMD Turbo Core technology and the Freezes seem to be not as often but still there. But this Doesnt mean its the CPU for 100% 

What do you think?

Hello LinusTechTips member!

Tittle says it all. Im getting random freezes sometimes after 5 hours and sometimes after 5 mins ( Idle / Maxed out doesnt matter )

My Rams are 2133Mhz which are fully supported by my motherboard ( OC 2133Mhz ) but not fully supported by my CPU AMD FX which I just found out.

You might be asking "why didn't he check before buying?" .. I did check very well but OverclockersUk has false details about AMD FX memory support speeds. They say AMD FX supports up to 2400Mhz while AMD official website says 1866Mhz.

So might this be the problem? Faulty / Not Supported rams? The Rams are set to Auto in Bios and are running at 1600Mhz so Im not sure now

Then it could be my CPU. I bought the CPU as B-grade item ( Unwated > Returned within 14 days or Box missing etc ) so Im thinking it could be the CPU? I turned off AMD Turbo Core technology and the Freezes seem to be not as often but still there. But this Doesnt mean its the CPU for 100% 

What do you think?

I would bet its the RAM. Although i am not a fan of AMD (see below) i dont think the CPU is connecting correctly to the RAM especially if its running at 1/2 its rated speeds. That being said, it may be in your best interest to be sure your BIOS is  up to date.

NOW, before the AMD/Intel fight begins, i ran an AMD CPU for 3 years, 8 core edition, with terrible experience. I hated it but it was cheap and i was in college, so yeah i had one. I just purchased the i7-6700k and can already tell it runs 100% better and faster. So i have had experience with AMD. Just not a fan.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

ok,random freeze are just a spine in the ass,so,from bios try to downscale the ram frequency ant let us know,did you get this freeze right after you built the first time the pc or after some time?because it's very important to know if the freeze is related to uncompatibility of the hardware or something else

ok,random freeze are just a spine in the ass,so,from bios try to downscale the ram frequency ant let us know,did you get this freeze right after you built the first time the pc or after some time?because it's very important to know if the freeze is related to uncompatibility of the hardware or something else

I tried setting them to Auto which makes them 1600Mhz then I tried 1866Mhz and 2133Mhz still getting freezes.

Yes the Freezes occurred when I upgraded my CPU/Mobo/memory

Might want to run a MEMTEST just to be sure the RAM is good.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Might want to run a MEMTEST just to be sure the RAM is good.

I ran it for 4-5 hours and everything is good.

Even if the Rams are 100% Working it still could be Ram problem because Im forcing them to work at 1600Mhz instead of 2133Mhz

I ran it for 4-5 hours and everything is good.

Even if the Rams are 100% Working it still could be Ram problem because Im forcing them to work at 1600Mhz instead of 2133Mhz

If you ran it with them working at that speed for that long with no issue, it doesnt sound like that. It would still show up.

If you ran it with them working at that speed for that long with no issue, it doesnt sound like that. It would still show up.

True + Rams are completely new and I believe rams are the last think to go wrong but still cant say for 100% they are OK.

When I turn off AMD Turbo Core technology I dont get the Freezes as Often. I believe the CPU was B-Grade item not because of the high TDP / incompatibility but because of being Unstable and OcUk didnt even test it properly again ( it will be the Third fx9590 they will RMA for me / twice B-grade )

But then again it could be my Motherboard as well but thats unlikely as well as the rams

True + Rams are completely new and I believe rams are the last think to go wrong but still cant say for 100% they are OK.

When I turn off AMD Turbo Core technology I dont get the Freezes as Often. I believe the CPU was B-Grade item not because of the high TDP / incompatibility but because of being Unstable and OcUk didnt even test it properly again ( it will be the Third fx9590 they will RMA for me / twice B-grade )

But then again it could be my Motherboard as well but thats unlikely as well as the rams

I'm going to say its probably the CPU. As you said it could be about anything. I would assume its the CPU due to instability and the fact that i had an AMD cpu and got this issue after 2 years of non overclocked operation. If the AMD turbo core technoloy allows your computer to freeze less, it could be that for sure.

Here are a few questions:

1. Do you have got any WiFi cards from TP-LINK? TP-LINK PCI Wifi card drivers are really bad and they dont work in windows 8, 8.1 and 10. after I upgraded my system to windows 8 it would randomly freeze not even a BSOD! I was thinking it was my ram too until I discovered that it was the bad wifi card driver.

2. Do you get a BSOD or a complete freeze?

Here are a few questions:

1. Do you have got any WiFi cards from TP-LINK? TP-LINK PCI Wifi card drivers are really bad and they dont work in windows 8, 8.1 and 10. after I upgraded my system to windows 8 it would randomly freeze not even a BSOD! I was thinking it was my ram too until I discovered that it was the bad wifi card driver.

2. Do you get a BSOD or a complete freeze?

I do not have any External PCI / PCI-e Card only my GPU

I dont get any BSOD which is really weird and makes me think the rams are not the problem because if there was problem with the rams I would get BSOD

I really suspect it is some faulty driver that is screwing everything up. Keep in mind that win10 is pretty new and problems may occur if the problem keeps coming back then I reccommend to install windows 7 or a stable version of linux just to see if the same problems occur. By the way just beacause microsoft says it is plug and play compatible with their OS doesn't mean it is actually true If i got 1 dollar for everytime I got to install 3th party drivers because the microsoft one sucks than I could by a new PC by now.

remove the cpu and check the pins inside the socked,if some of them are bent or miss,rma the motherboard,if not,stress the cpu with intel burn test

Freeze happen even when you boot,startup and/or inside the bios?

Have you ever had any blue screen?

Waiting for response

Update: Replaced the CPU with new one and everything seems to be working. After all the B-Grade CPU was not returned as Unwanted but I believe some other guy had the same problem and OcUk didnt test the CPU good enough but Replaced it for me immediately without problems ( Actually they gave me new one so I made 35£ :D )