HDMI or DP for my new setup

​I am getting a new computer that has a GTX 970​ and I'm planning on getting an Asus VG248QE (144hz 1080p is what I want to play at) should I use hdmi or displayport. I am a noob and I was confused so I just want to know what would be best for my set up.

HDMI is a horrible standard (I assume was made for laptop scrubs because DVI does everything it can do and more) go DP

HDMI wont let you go 144hz

also consider a 390

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Displayport will give you the 144hz, while HDMI only supports 60hz at 1080p. And you may want to consider the R9-390 instead of the 970, just a thought.

I have the add my vote on getting the 390, more memory and killer performance. The Nitro is a great choice.

I run HDMI on a 60hz monitor but you'll want to follow the advise given above.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just use a DVI, if you don't want to go out and buy a cable because it can do 144hz 1080p.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

thank you for the help, I will have to pick up a dp cable. also I can't and probably wouldn't change my mind on the 970, I know I can trust NVidia due to old computers and what not and I know that amd has problems and would rather not deal with that.

HDMI is a horrible standard (I assume was made for laptop scrubs because DVI does everything it can do and more) go DP

HDMI wont let you go 144hz

also consider a 390

Displayport will give you the 144hz, while HDMI only supports 60hz at 1080p. And you may want to consider the R9-390 instead of the 970, just a thought.

Both of you are wrong even if we stick with standard HDMI 1.4

Either way DP is the best standard currently so use it if it's available.

when you buy a graphics card your getting the is on the box, even knowing the this is about hdmi and dp the what you have on the graphics card is what you get if his only got dp and hdmi on the card then his has to work with that.

and at the end of the day it's his decision to make and you can show me anything with dp and mini ports just to make a point. But that doesn't change the fact that hdmi is on most of the graphics card today.

How does this apply to what I said?

DP = DisplayPort is the best option for connecting your display bar none

HDMI would be your second best connection and with HDMI 2.0 can support 4K @ 60hz, HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p @ 120hz and 4K @ 30hz

DVI caps out at 2560x1600 @ 60hz you can OC a DVI connection.

Oh unless you have an analog display dont use VGA unless completely unavoidable.

Use display port becaus if you dont you would be wasting money (only 60 hz) thanks for asking)

i was about to upgrade monitor too, but the monitor that i will buy doesn't have display port, so what's better hdmi or dvi?

does displayport also transmit audio like hdmi? or video only?

DisplayPort carries an audio signal as well.

In this case you have a technical reason to need DisplayPort, but I'll just point out that it's basically better than HDMI across the board. Anytime you have the right cable and compatible hardware you may as well use Displayport. Even if only for the locking connector.

i was about to upgrade monitor too, but the monitor that i will buy doesn't have display port, so what's better hdmi or dvi?

If all it comes with is HDMI and DVI, chances are it is a fairly standard 1080p 60 Hz display that doesn't specifically need the bandwidth of DisplayPort. If the monitor comes with speakers and you plan to use them, you'd need HDMI since DVI doesn't carry audio. But otherwise there isn't much difference between the two.

does displayport also transmit audio like hdmi? or video only?

It does audio, ethernet, and everything else HDMI can do and more in most cases.

HDMI is the betterof the two unless you are going to be overclocking the monitor.