my motherboard does not detect my boot ssd

hiddensniper861
Go to solution Solved by Wombo,

If your mobo has multiple controllers for sata drives this may be why. I know with my older sabertoothx58 board I can't have my boot drive on the SATA3.0 marvell controller or the pc won't boot. I have to have the boot drive on the integrated SATA3.0 Intel controller. Try hooking the drive up to a different SATA port, preferably one on a different onboard controller if you have one.

i was doing nothing just sitting on my home screen and the whole thing just froze so i did the only sane thing and hit the reset button and my motherboard detected it but i had to reinstall windows 10 so i got to the point to where i picked my drive to install on i deleted all my partitions and clicked on it just never detected after that i tried every thing i could so i got my old pc and the motherboard detected it and i tried to install windows on it but it said missing partition need help do i need to buy a new mother board or storage

system

i5 6600k

gigabyte z170x-gaming 5

crucial bx100 250gb ssd

r9270x

windows 10 64bit

corsair vengence 8gb 2133mhz  

Do you have another PC you can connect the SSD to?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

yes i tried it with my old pc it detected but could not install windows said missing partition 

Can you detect the drive in device manager>disk drives?

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

Can you detect the drive in device manager>disk drives?

i cant get into windows

If your mobo has multiple controllers for sata drives this may be why. I know with my older sabertoothx58 board I can't have my boot drive on the SATA3.0 marvell controller or the pc won't boot. I have to have the boot drive on the integrated SATA3.0 Intel controller. Try hooking the drive up to a different SATA port, preferably one on a different onboard controller if you have one.

i was doing nothing just sitting on my home screen and the whole thing just froze so i did the only sane thing and hit the reset button and my motherboard detected it but i had to reinstall windows 10 so i got to the point to where i picked my drive to install on i deleted all my partitions and clicked on it just never detected after that i tried every thing i could so i got my old pc and the motherboard detected it and i tried to install windows on it but it said missing partition need help do i need to buy a new mother board or storage

system

i5 6600k

gigabyte z170x-gaming 5

crucial bx100 250gb ssd

r9270x

windows 10 64bit

corsair vengence 8gb 2133mhz  

is your controller set to IDE? try AHCI or RAID

@Wombo Might be right, a few google searches reveal that this can be a more common problem on Gigabyte boards.

just for the record, you cant start your install at all anymore? Just stuck at bios?

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

@Wombo Might be right, a few google searches reveal that this can be a more common problem on Gigabyte boards.

just for the record, you cant start your install at all anymore? Just stuck at bios?

i can start the windows install but it shows no drives to install on

Easiest thing would be to just try putting your SSD in another pc and see if it detects, after exhausting all other options on your own board. If it doesnt detect RMA it. But I've had cases where I had to remove partitions on drives with DISKPART to get them working properly again. Might be worth a try if you can get another PC to test it on!

My Rig:

i can start the windows install but it shows no drives to install on

Have you tried installing the driver for your sata controllers via the windows installer?

i did a combo of both and found out i had a bad sata power cable 

Never seen that before, but congrats on fixing it!

My Rig: