New Monitor for Christmas

Rainore

Hi,

I wanted to get a new monitor for christmas but I really don't know what to get.
Right now I use a LG Flatron E2241 and while I am satisfied with it it's to small.

I am a gamer but I also use the computer a lot for movies and music production.
I have a decent system with a i5 4460, Strix GT970 and 16 GB of ram.

I want to go for 24" - 27".
I also want to go for a IPS Panel as they can reproduce colours better than TN ones and arent that much slower nowadays then TN panels.
120/144 Hz is of no concern to me as my system will not get anywhere near that fps with recent titles on Ultra and Full HD.

Questions:
1) What are your recommendations?
2) Do you thing 27" is to big on 1080p only?

Well 21.5in 1080p monitors are slightly, but noticeably sharper than 23.6in 1080p monitors. I like the slightly bigger screen though. If you want a 27in screen, I defiantly recommend a 1440p one, although to get an ips one with gsync would probably cost about the same as your whole computer.

Like what I did, I would sell your gtx 970 and buy an r9 290x or r9 390 and a compatible freesync display, like the Samsung S24E370DL (23.6in 1080p 60/75hz ips) or the more expensive Asus MG279Q (27in 1440p 144hz ips)

You can get cheaper ips/pls 27in 1440p displays without variable refresh, so unless you are used to stutter and screen tearing, don't get a monitor without variable refresh!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Well 21.5in 1080p monitors are slightly, but noticeably sharper than 23.6in 1080p monitors. I like the slightly bigger screen though. If you want a 27in screen, I defiantly recommend a 1440p one, although to get an ips one with gsync would probably cost about the same as your whole computer.

Like what I did, I would sell your gtx 970 and buy an r9 290x or r9 390 and a compatible freesync display, like the Samsung S24E370DL (23.6in 1080p 60/75hz ips) or the more expensive Asus MG279Q (27in 1440p 144hz ips)

You can get cheaper ips/pls 27in 1440p displays without variable refresh, so unless you are used to stutter and screen tearing, don't get a monitor without variable refresh!

This.

Freesync monitors generally are cheaper than G-Sync monitors, that and Asus Strix cards are just awful.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I'm looking at this monitor now, it has freesync and a 75hz refresh rate so I'm sure it's good enough for games (plus I oc my monitors for higher refresh rates) :)

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM67-34-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00VBNQJSM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1446183388&sr=1-1&keywords=lg34um67

It's also ips, buuuut the downsides:

it is 34inch so bigger than what your were talking about

~500 usd on amazon

it is really a wider 1080p, so if you wanted something more pixel dense you won't find it with this one

edit: it also has adaptive sync which I believe is separate from the gpu vendor solutions but not as good

and if you want to get yourself a new gpu (if you go the freesync route), the msi 390 is pretty great!

Thanks for the replies, but getting another graphics Card is not what I want.
I just got the STRIX 970 2 months ago and I am very happy with it.

I am a casual gamer, I am used to vsync my games or get a Little Screen tearing.
While I know (and have seen) that gsync/freesync Monitors are better the extra surcharge they cost is it not worth for me to be honest.

So:
24"-27"
IPS Panel
1080/1440p

No 120/144 HZ
No gsync/freesync

Also:
Could I Play a game on 1080p on a 1440p Monitor without Problems?

Hi,

I wanted to get a new monitor for christmas but I really don't know what to get.

Right now I use a LG Flatron E2241 and while I am satisfied with it it's to small.

I am a gamer but I also use the computer a lot for movies and music production.

I have a decent system with a i5 4460, Strix GT970 and 16 GB of ram.

I want to go for 24" - 27".

I also want to go for a IPS Panel as they can reproduce colours better than TN ones and arent that much slower nowadays then TN panels.

120/144 Hz is of no concern to me as my system will not get anywhere near that fps with recent titles on Ultra and Full HD.

Questions:

1) What are your recommendations?

2) Do you thing 27" is to big on 1080p only?

i have nearly the same lg monitor. i peared it with a 21:9 29" ips monitor an it is awesome. they allign perfectly in height and resolution. if i where you i would pick up the lg 29um67. it has freesync and you cant use this at the moment but its on hell of an awesome monitor

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.