future proofing a build

hello,
Disclaimer, I used laptops all of my life.
now I want to build a PC that I can add to it over time (because budget)
I want the end product to be something like the maxed of version of main gear shift
First thing that I found was asus z170 delux because of USB type c, display port 1.3 and hdmi 2.0, dual gigabit lan ports
then I realised the intel skylake i7-6700 only supports only 16 pci express lanes so 3 graphic cards  would be useless

my end goal is something like the following, that i can still get it to boot up with 2000-3000 or less by not buying all the graphics card on the same day, or add more ram later or something like that.

Samsung 850 pro with raid $0 because I already have the drives and windows
3 sli latest Nvidia card (for now its titan x I guess)

intel with virtualization support (probably something with high number of PCI express lanes to support 3 graphics card)

64 GB ddr4 ram (I'll probably have 16 for the first day/build)

8 channel audio

display port 1.3

HDMI 2.0,
dual gigabit LAN ports

preferably USB type C (remember it's a future proofing build)

good enough to render 4k and play games on ultra settings and still do 60 fps

it will be connected to dual widescreen for work, a 4k monitor for entertainment. 

thanks for the help :)

ok, so an upgradable build

what currency

whats the build for

what are you prepared to spend now?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

also, welcome to the forum, remember to follow your topics and use http://pcpartpicker.com/

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

hello,

I want the end product to be something like the maxed of version of main gear shift

First thing that I found was asus z170 delux because of USB type c, display port 1.3 and hdmi 2.0, dual gigabit lan ports

then I realised the intel skylake i7-6700 only supports only 16 pci express lanes so 3 graphic cards  would be useless

my end goal is something like the following, that i can still get it to boot up with 2000-3000 or less by not buying all the graphics card on the same day, or add more ram later or something like that.

Samsung 850 pro with raid $0 because I already have the drives and windows

3 sli latest Nvidia card (for now its titan x I guess)

intel with virtualization support (probably something with high number of PCI express lanes to support 3 graphics card)

8 channel audio

display port 1.3

HDMI 2.0,

dual gigabit LAN ports

it will be connected to dual widescreen for work, a 4k monitor for entertainment. 

There is no such thing as future proofing for the PC.  You build a decent PC, then upgrade as new stuff comes along.  For the same amount of total money spent, you'll end up with a more powerful PC than what you have listed here.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Holy moley. How much money are we talking? What do you really do?

Let's be sensible here and practical. First off, future proofing is close to impossible. The only thing you can have on you for more than 5 years are the case and PSU. CPU and motherboard will probably last you only 5 years before they feel slow

Why not spend on the most sensible thing now (maybe an i5 6600k, an OKAY motherboard, one GTX 980 Ti) and keep the saved cash so you can spend it later. 3 years into your computer, sell your graphics card and use the money you earned plus the money you saved to buy another beastly GPU.

This is how you future proof. You spend wisely and build to suit your real needs (ie How much GPU power you really need for your monitor) and not your wants (ie bragging rights for having quad Titan X SLI)

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

-SNIP-

Since you've been using laptops all your life and this is your first post on LTT.(Welcome BTW). Buying the highest end parts(especially the titan series) and filling up your rig is exactly the opposite of future proofing. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Long story short, there is no such thing as future proofing. a space shit may crash in los angeles on monday, and we could be rocking quantum computers in a a year. 

You can run 4 graphics cards on a 6700 without seeing bottlenecking in games or most programs due to pcie lanes. in games you will see major performance drop offs, but that's because sli scaling means that the first card only adds about 75-80% performance at best, the third adds 35-40% performance at best, and the fourth card will only add 15-20% performance at best.

Two is the golden number for sli, 3 being the maximum, with no reason to buy a fourth, unless you're rendering and really need ALL THE CUDA!

Other than that, for an overkill build, it certainly would be. But i'd suggest getting the 980ti over the titan X. you can get better coolers, unless you plan to water cool the whole thing. if so, then get the titan x for all that sexy ass vram. and please, if you're not water cooling, for the love of GOD do NOT get a reference card. the coolers are utter shit, and as long as you can manage to have a pcie slot inbetween the two cards, then the air flow is good enough for an open cooler design.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

hello,

First thing that I found was asus z170 delux because of USB type c, display port 1.3 and hdmi 2.0, dual gigabit lan ports

then I realised the intel skylake i7-6700 only supports only 16 pci express lanes so 3 graphic cards would be useless

Samsung 850 pro with raid $0 because I already have the drives and windows

3 sli latest Nvidia card (for now its titan x I guess)

intel with virtualization support (probably something with high number of PCI express lanes to support 3 graphics card)

8 channel audio

display port 1.3

HDMI 2.0,

dual gigabit LAN ports

no not titan x use the gtx 980ti it will save you a bit and is a just as good if not better.

ok, so an upgradable build, yes

what currency, living in montreal canada so, CAD

whats the build for.  I'm a developer, so almost everything. gaming ocationally, rendering 4k video, running 2 vm ware linux at the same time (why I spesified the virtualization part) and ...

what are you prepared to spend now? 2000 to 3000 for now (not including hard drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse) but of course unlimited for the over time part where I add more stuff to it

also, welcome to the forum, remember to follow your topics and use http://pcpartpicker.com/

Thanks evereyone for the warm welcome. I'm a big linus tech tips youtube fan and for the past 3 week I have been researching hardware parts and watching cool setups on youtube like setup wars on techsource

Long story short, there is no such thing as future proofing. a space shit may crash in los angeles on monday, and we could be rocking quantum computers in a a year. 

You can run 4 graphics cards on a 6700 without seeing bottlenecking in games or most programs due to pcie lanes. in games you will see major performance drop offs, but that's because sli scaling means that the first card only adds about 75-80% performance at best, the third adds 35-40% performance at best, and the fourth card will only add 15-20% performance at best.

Two is the golden number for sli, 3 being the maximum, with no reason to buy a fourth, unless you're rendering and really need ALL THE CUDA!

Other than that, for an overkill build, it certainly would be. But i'd suggest getting the 980ti over the titan X. you can get better coolers, unless you plan to water cool the whole thing. if so, then get the titan x for all that sexy ass vram. and please, if you're not water cooling, for the love of GOD do NOT get a reference card. the coolers are utter shit, and as long as you can manage to have a pcie slot inbetween the two cards, then the air flow is good enough for an open cooler design.

thanks for replying
so are you saying I can get a asus z170 delux and  intel skylake i7-6700 and have 4 gtx 980ti (hypothetical) and be able to use all 4 without any problem from pcie, because it's using sli for connection? 
so I could build the following with a bit over 2000$ now and then be able to add 3 more graphics card with sli later?
case

power

ram

graphics

cooler 

motherboard 
cpu

thanks for answering 

so are you saying I can get a asus z170 delux and  intel skylake i7-6700 and have 4 gtx 980ti (hypothetical) and be able to use all 4 without any problem from pcie, because it's using sli for connection? 

so I could build the following with a bit over 2000$ now and then be able to add 3 more graphics card with sli later?

case

power

ram

graphics

cooler 

asus z170 delux motherboard 

intel skylake i7-6700 cpu

All four will run just fine. Each card would be set to 4x pcie3, which is still enough for games in some programs you will see a bottleneck, but since games use sli, and the fourth card doesn't really mean shit in sli anyway, no you will not see any bottlenecks related to pcie bandwidth.

In programs, since they don't use sli, you can see bottlenecks, but only in major cuda acceleration.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||