Asus S56CM msata caching ssd replace with larger cap ssd.

sze_nian

Hi there, i dont know am i posting this at the correct section or not but if it's wrong, please correct me. Thanks

My problem is like this. My friend having an Asus S56CM ultrabook. His laptop currently having a 24GB SSD for caching. He wish to replace the 24GB caching ssd with a larger capacity ssd such as Kingston 120GB Msata SSD in and install the OS on it so he can have performance and also the HDD for storage purpose.

Question(s):
1. Is it possible to replace it? cause some said cannot due to the caching is build onto the hdd board.

2. Anyone tried before? because i read out some post and said theres some laptop have bios lock.

Thanks guys!

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

I'm not sure if it uses an msata ssd or not.

How about a hdd caddy? You can turn your dvd drive into another slot for your hdd while you replace it with a ssd.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm not sure if it uses an msata ssd or not.

How about a hdd caddy? You can turn your dvd drive into another slot for your hdd while you replace it with a ssd.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4

Thanks for the fast respond bro.

I also did suggest him this solution but at the end, he seems like want to keep everything original == i mean by keeping his DVD rom (i dunno what for due to his desktop also dont have a dvd rom...) and thats an Ultrabook, does this capable of installing into it?

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

Thanks for the fast respond bro.

I also did suggest him this solution but at the end, he seems like want to keep everything original == i mean by keeping his DVD rom (i dunno what for due to his desktop also dont have a dvd rom...) and thats an Ultrabook, does this capable of installing into it?

You need an optical drive to replace if you were to use an hdd caddy.

I guess you'd have to check if the laptop uses or has an open msata slot.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You need an optical drive to replace if you were to use an hdd caddy.

I guess you'd have to check if the laptop uses or has an open msata slot.

Thanks for the help.

I would try to help him to check. Mostly the Msata slot is around the area of ram or hdd cover right? i'm pretty scare to open out the whole rear cover of the laptop. Never do such things before. :D

My 2013 First Build

Thanks for the help.

I would try to help him to check. Mostly the Msata slot is around the area of ram or hdd cover right? i'm pretty scare to open out the whole rear cover of the laptop. Never do such things before. :D

I'm not sure about the S56CM. Just open it and check. Make sure you don't lose any screws.