Dell XPS 13

Flashie
Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

XPS 13 is great, but the one you linked is OLD, and NOT THE ONE IN THE VIDEO.

Ever since i saw Linus' video about the XPS 13 review - i've fallen in-love with its looks and capabilities, but havnt fallen in love with that price tag. 

I've seen Linus' Wet laptop repair video and his Wet laptop repair AGAIN video and was impressed - especially at the hardware packed in the laptops.

So armed with these facts - i wanted to see what price the XPS 13 was available for here in South Africa, because here they LOVE adding hundreds of dollars extra, and blame it either on shipping or on the exchange rate. 

What i came up with: Was this: http://www.takealot.com/dell-xps-13-intel-core-i7-12-inch-ultrabook/PLID34148775

What is this? This isnt the Dell XPS 13? Atleast, the one in Linus' video was different. This one, converted back to dollar through current exchange rate, would equal to $1674.77

What laptop is that displayed in the link?

Whats your opinion on the XPS 13?

dell-xps-13-still-100565160-orig.jpg

XPS 13 is great, but the one you linked is OLD, and NOT THE ONE IN THE VIDEO.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

the one in the vid is the 4k, i7, 8gb ram, 256 ssd one. The xps 13 is a good ultrabook. but the fact that their base model has only 4gb of ram and the ssd and ram are soldered turned me off from it. if you need something thats really portable like that one is, go for it, the battery life is pretty good at 12 hours or something like that. You could easily get a better multimedia/ gaming laptop if you really need the power at that price point. but if a good screen, battery life and portability are high on your list, the xps 13 is one of the best as far as I know. You could get something like the xps 13 for cheaper, but it may have a core m.  

the one in the vid is the 4k, i7, 8gb ram, 256 ssd one. The xps 13 is a good ultrabook. but the fact that their base model has only 4gb of ram and the ssd and ram are soldered turned me off from it. if you need something thats really portable like that one is, go for it, the battery life is pretty good at 12 hours or something like that. You could easily get a better multimedia/ gaming laptop if you really need the power at that price point. but if a good screen, battery life and portability are high on your list, the xps 13 is one of the best as far as I know. You could get something like the xps 13 for cheaper, but it may have a core m.  

Yeah - I've really been considering getting a laptop (since mines pretty much busted and its parts are discontinued :P) for on-the-site assistance, as a backup for my main rig incase something happens and i need to still be connected, and to run light-graphical games. Wasnt impressed when i saw the XPS 13 had onboard Graphics and not a dedicated GPU, evens if it was a low-power GPU. Any you'd like to recommend that isnt too expensive? The biggest turnoff of the XPS 13 for me was its pricetag. The Onboard graphics i could have still lived with. But i dont need a laptop that costs more than my desktop x)

I have the older (2015) version of the XPS 13 with an i5 and 8GB of ram, and its great for school

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah - I've really been considering getting a laptop (since mines pretty much busted and its parts are discontinued :P) for on-the-site assistance, as a backup for my main rig incase something happens and i need to still be connected, and to run light-graphical games. Wasnt impressed when i saw the XPS 13 had onboard Graphics and not a dedicated GPU, evens if it was a low-power GPU. Any you'd like to recommend that isnt too expensive? The biggest turnoff of the XPS 13 for me was its pricetag. The Onboard graphics i could have still lived with. But i dont need a laptop that costs more than my desktop x)

this is canadian pricing, so look up the exchange rate on these ones

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-zenbook-ux303lb-ds74t-i7-5500u-12gb-da-110940-1322.htm

this one is a bit expensive, but it should do some decent 720-1080p gaming

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-zenbook-laptop-ux305fa-asm1-13-3inch-97-107054-1322.htm

this one is a lot cheaper, and it's a core m, so it won't run games other than csgo well.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-flex-3-intel-i7-5500u-47-117474-1891.htm

Lenovo has a lot of bloatware, and I had quality control issues with 2 laptops from them. but if you're looking for a good hybrid, this is one.

Note: the igpus arent bad these days. I was able to play tf2 with everything maxed out at 1080p on a surface with a sandy bridge i5, so if all you're playing is lol or csgo, igpu laptops are fine.