Storage solution for archiving recorded uncompressed vids?

boat

I've handled enough 3TB Seagate Barracudas (they're pretty much best-selling) at work to the point that I ended up considering wanting one for my FRAPS uncompressed videos.

However, I'm more comfortable getting a WD than a Seagate. Since this is just for storage, not speed, I went on considering the WD Green 3TB, as the recording takes place on my WD Black 1 TB. The newegg consumer reviews don't look to favourable for this one either.

Now I'm stuck back to the Seagate vs WD thing. I'm looking for a budget storage, 2 or 3TB.

Currently considering Seagate Barracuda 3TB vs WD Green 3TB. Personally don't trust the former, surprised by the latter's low-rating reviews. Are there any other HDDs I could consider?

IF you trust WD, then I'd say look into WD Red. Thry're primarily built for RAID configs, so getting one shouldn't be bad. They tend to give similar or better performance to the WD Green in terms of quiet operation.

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

~snip~

Hey there boat,

Since you are looking for a drive to simply store your recordings and you already have a drive for recording, pretty much any drive would do the job. WD Green drives are very good for this purpose as they work cool and quiet and save energy. Their design is exactly for secondary storage and for non-demanding applications that do not require fast access times. Another option that you can consider is WD Blue.

WD Red are also good drives but they are designed and tuned for NAS devices and RAID setups. If they are used in regular computers with no RAID arrays they should function just like a regular WD Green as none of the additional features will be utilized. They should work fine though. :)

Here's some info on both WD Red and WD Blue:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/