Upgrading GPU

Pregnant_Hero

Hey there! Im new here and i thought i could ask you for some advice, im going to upgrade my GPU and im not really sure of what i need. im manly playing CS:GO and World Of Warcraft, my current GPU can only manage 30fps on low setting of Wow and about 100 on CS:GO. Anyone have any suggestions for a grafics card that is sufficient for WoW on high/Ultra setting?

Thanks you!

What's your budget? Usually you shouldn't go any lower than a 750Ti.

What is your CPU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Hey there! Im new here and i thought i could ask you for some advice, im going to upgrade my GPU and im not really sure of what i need. im manly playing CS:GO and World Of Warcraft, my current GPU can only manage 30fps on low setting of Wow and about 100 on CS:GO. Anyone have any suggestions for a grafics card that is sufficient for WoW on high/Ultra setting?

Thanks you!

What card do you already have?

Also, CS:GO is CPU intensive, so what's your CPU?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

assuming you want 1080p, I would shoot for an R9 270.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Do you have a budget? These games don't require intense graphics power, you could get away with a 750Ti or an R7-260X- mine runs CS:GO at over 100fps with settings maxed out.

CPU: AMD FX-6100

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5700 series

Budjet: about $350

Budget? Those games aren't really graphically intensive. 

What card do you already have?

Also, CS:GO is CPU intensive, so what's your CPU?

What's your budget? Usually you shouldn't go any lower than a 750Ti.

What is your CPU?

No need to spend that much on a GFX card with your setup... Actually I'd suggest a whole new CPU/MOBO/GPU combo... Assuming your PSU and the rest of the components are adequate. Something like i3 + h81 + R7 260x/r9 270

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Say you get this GPU

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7260x2gd5oc For $123

Then with the remaining cash get this CPU

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54460 for $174

And this motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-h81me34 For $51

That's $348 altogether

As for the GPU itself, the best you can get for the price is : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9290x4gbd5ppdhv2e

Note: this GPU is a beast of a card but requires a quality 600W+ power supply.

However I recommend switching your CPU as well. An i5-4460 should be more than fine, if you don't want to spend too much just grab a FX-8320E so you don't have to get a new motherboard, it should suffice as well.

Low framerate in WoW might be caused by your CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Budget? Those games aren't really graphically intensive. 

well... in fact WoW IS grafically intensive since the latest expension came out at least. my r9 390x even lets frames drop down to 40fps when there are many players around, on 1080p where in shadow of mordor, farcry 4 and so on i have never seen fps below 60. also with 200% scaled render resolution (which equals be 4k) it would definitely also bring a 980ti to it's knees. just to make that clear.

well... in fact WoW IS grafically intensive since the latest expension came out at least. my r9 390x even lets frames drop down to 40fps when there are many players around, on 1080p where in shadow of mordor, farcry 4 and so on i have never seen fps below 60. also with 200% scaled render resolution (which equals be 4k) it would definitely also bring a 980ti to it's knees. just to make that clear.

You know, It might be your CPU, do you monitor your hardware usage during gameplay when you experience those FPS drops? Is your GPU usage @100% the entire time?

Thanks you! 

best grafics cards for wow are nvidia ones. even if i am a little amd fan and it hurts to say that. so i would concider some 960 or 970ish  but you will get solid gaming experience with a 280 onwards on amd's side too.

You know, It might be your CPU, do you monitor your hardware usage during gameplay when you experience those FPS drops? Is your GPU usage @100% the entire time?

i doubt an i7-4790k @ 4.6ghz would bottleneck in wow ^^ and my card is not running at 100% all the time but i don't know if you  know the game, there's that island, called Ashran, when there are many players (im talking about hundreds), or when i'm in a bossfight with many people, those framedrops might occur.

i doubt an i7-4570k @ 4.6ghz would bottleneck in wow ^^ and my card is not running at 100% all the time but i don't know if you  know the game, there's that island, called Ashran, when there are many players (im talking about hundreds), or when i'm in a bossfight with many people, those framedrops might occur.

There's no such thing as an i7-4570k ^^ Anyway, you probably meant the i5-4670k.

If your card does not run at 100% all the time then something else bottlenecks. MMOs aren't usually optimized too well and that might be the case.

There's no such thing as an i7-4570k ^^ Anyway, you probably meant the i5-4570k.

If your card does not run at 100% all the time then something else bottlenecks. MMOs aren't usually optimizedarrow-10x10.png too well and that might be the case.

sorry, i meant the i7-4790k. mixed it up a little ^^

*edit: "MMOs aren't usually optimized too well and that might be the case." that might fit for 95% of mmo's out there, but wow carries 10 solid years of developing on it's shoulders. it is just that the new areas they are making are much much more detailed then one might know it from the beginning, and just because it's still in a cartoon-look and not realistic that doesn't mean it's not gafically intensive. 

anyway, can we unite our opinion in saying that in Pregnant_Hero's case a 380 or 960 would be appropriate? :P

sorry, i meant the i7-4790k. mixxed it up a little ^^

It's probably the game then since both your CPU and GPU should not bottleneck in that game. For example, My FX-8350 @4,5ghz + GTX 970 setup gave me around 25fps in one location in TERA Online, my buddy with 4690k+970 had a slightly better score of 30-32fps average in Velika, however my point is, if the game is optimized badly you will get FPS drops and that's the case with most MMORPGs ^^

WoW is very single core CPU intensive, and your current CPU has relatively bad single core performance, so you will be better off getting an Intel CPU (like an i3-4160 or i5-4460) and a lower/mid range GPU opposed to just a high end GPU.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

WoW is very single core CPU intensive, and your current CPU has relatively bad single core performance, so you will be better off getting an Intel CPU (like an i3-4160 or i5-4460) and a lower/mid range GPU opposed to just a high end GPU.

That fact also is a relic of the past, wow is very multicore-friendly these days. check out any WOD benchmark.

That fact also is a relic of the past, wow is very multicore-friendly these days. check out any WOD benchmark.

WoW_Warlords_of_Draenor_CPU_Core_Scaling

This is the only reliable CPU benchmark I can find of WoD. All it shows me is that there is serious diminishing returns past 4 cores at 720p, which either isn't very multicore friendly, or has eliminated the bottleneck. You cannot draw conclusions from a single benchmark of a single CPU. 

Also, 54 fps seems extremely low for 720p with a 970.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

WoW_Warlords_of_Draenor_CPU_Core_Scaling

This is the only reliable CPU benchmark I can find of WoD. All it shows me is that there is serious diminishing returns past 4 cores at 720p, which either isn't very multicore friendly, or has eliminated the bottleneck. You cannot draw conclusions from a single benchmark of a single CPU. 

Also, 54 fps seems extremely low for 720p with a 970.

that benchmark was made in beta-phase, so gpu optimisation wasn't too good at that time. and what are you trying to tell me? that 2 cores with a total of, let's name it, 50 fps on a pentium e.g. is better then 70 fps on 4 cores? that makes no sence, since it is common knowlendge that more cores/grafics cards don't scale 1 to 1. the fact is that 70 fps is better then 50 fps, and if you cen gat a 6core fx cpu or a 2 core i3 for the same price, i'd rather go with the fx for wow.

that benchmark was made in beta-phase, so gpu optimisation wasn't too good at that time. and what are you trying to tell me? that 2 cores with a total of, let's name it, 50 fps on a pentium e.g. is better then 70 fps on 4 cores? that makes no sence, since it is common knowlendge that more cores/grafics cards don't scale 1 to 1. the fact is that 70 fps is better then 50 fps, and if you cen gat a 6core fx cpu or a 2 core i3 for the same price, i'd rather go with the fx for wow.

Except you can see that <3 cores scale way better than >3 cores, so the FX6 would be slightly better than a theoretical FX3, if we only have this benchmark to go off of. An i3 is significantly better than an FX4 in every aspect, and beats an FX6 in most other games. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Just did some ''benchmarks'' just tested with my normal settings and got around 30fps (WoW) and 90-100fps (CS:GO) while i was monitoring my CPU usage, but i never vent above 30% on my cpu, then i noticed my RAM was filled up after a 12 hour+ session, restarted and got much better resaults about 70fps (WoW) and  250fps (CS:GO) still using under 30% of my CPU, does that mean that the bottleneck is my GPU? 

note that this was just testing with a few people around me in WoW and a casual CS:GO match.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just did some ''benchmarks'' just tested with my normal settings and got around 30fps (WoW) and 90-100fps (CS:GO) while i was monitoring my CPU usage, but i never vent above 30% on my cpu, then i noticed my RAM was filled up after a 12 hour+ session, restarted and got much better resaults about 70fps (WoW) and  250fps (CS:GO) still using under 30% of my CPU, does that mean that the bottleneck is my GPU? 

note that this was just testing with a few people around me in WoW and a casual CS:GO match.

Thanks for all the help guys!

At least 8 Gigs of RAM is recommended for gaming.