Sound Card Question

nDangER

I just got a new pair of speakers as a gift, the Logitech z523 (2.1 speakers). I think they retail for arouind $80-100.

I'm contemplating getting a sound card to improve my audio experience and was just wondering if it was worth it with these speakers.

For headphones I'm using Siberia v2 for gaming which already has a usb sound card of some sort.

Would a sound card make a noticeable difference with my speakers and my headset?

I'm no audiophile, but I do enjoy good sound when gaming or listening to music.

Another reason I'm thinking of getting this sound card is my speakers give out some weird hissing noise that I think might have something to do with my onboard audio (im using an msi g65 motherboard, so i think the onboard is some realtek thing). Will a sound card fix this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

p.s. if i do go through with getting a soundcard, I'll probably get one of the xonar lineup as everyone seems to be reccomending them. Please post suggestions! (maybe $100ish is my budget)

I had the 523's and noticed a pretty big gap even going to the Xonar DG (ASUS's cheapest sound card in the Xonar range)
You wont notice any difference on the USB headset.

Edit: As for suggestions get the best Xonar card in your budget probably Xonar DX

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

From the FAQ:

So, do I need a better soundcard or external AMP/DAC or is my onboard good enough?

[spoiler Click for answer ]
That's a good question, and it depends entirely on your headphones/speakers. The test is pretty simple, if you plug your headphones/speakers into the back onboard ports and play audio through your speakers or headphones and they sound loud enough for you at a volume under 80-85% and don't have audible noise, then your headphones are well driven by your current equipment. If you have to crank the volume to max or they have buzzing, humming, or popping that drives you nuts, it's probably time to look at a good soundcard or an external AMP and DAC combo.

I got the Xonar Phoebus Solo, pretty happy with it, its the same as the Xonar Phoebus but without a control box. I bought mine for 120€. Hope this helps