Overclocking 8500 GT

Hi guys!

Trying to overclock my Asus 8500 GT.

I can push its core from 475 to 600Mhz

but can't really seem to push it further, before getting insta artifacts and crash.

I can't seem to play the voltage. What do I do?

Reason why I want to push it further is.. Well it doesn't get hot, at all. Like top 60'C. with Fan 40%.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

May I ask why?  I'm pretty sure that 6990 is vastly more powerful, and even integrated graphics should match or beat an 8500 GT...

But you might be able to find a custom firmware for the card and/or BIOS that will let you turn the voltage up higher.  Hardly worth it though imo

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

May I ask why?  I'm pretty sure that 6990 is vastly more powerful, and even integrated graphics should match or beat an 8500 GT...

I use 8500 GT for simple games. To save on the expensive 6990.

So basically Light Gaming. But I feel it's almost at the edge of being too weak, so I'd like to give it a little kick more.

Lags in some games (15-20 FPS) in some games at 720p

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

So basically Light Gaming. But I feel it's almost at the edge of being too weak, so I'd like to give it a little kick more.

What do you mean by 'to save'? It's going to have to be used eventually, and with proper settings a card would last a good 7+ years :P

If you want to overclock your 8500GT further, you'd have to find a way to up the voltages.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

But you already have the 6990, right?  I still don't understand the purpose of using that very old card...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What do you mean by 'to save'? It's going to have to be used eventually, and with proper settings a card would last a good 7+ years :P

If you want to overclock your 8500GT further, you'd have to find a way to up the voltages.

But you already have the 6990, right?  I still don't understand the purpose of using that very old card...

Guys guys!! I only use the HD 6990 for games that 100% support crossfireX and actually require it. Triple A titles, okay? xD

Can we please get back to the topic? How would you kick the 8500 a bit further?

Guys guys!! I only use the HD 6990 for games that 100% support crossfireX and actually require it. Triple A titles, okay? xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

If I'm understanding this correctly, you are using the 8500 GT in less demanding games in order to save electricity?  Have you tried using vsync or something like that on the 6990 so the card only draws the frames it needs to?

But yeah you need to boost the voltage, and I gave my ideas on how to do that.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you are using the 8500 GT in less demanding games in order to save electricity?  Have you tried using vsync or something like that on the 6990 so the card only draws the frames it needs to?

But yeah you need to boost the voltage, and I gave my ideas on how to do that.

Pretty much, yes. Tried V-Sync on it, and FPS control. -Still uses a lot more power than the 8500 only. like 50-100W more. in total.

The voltage is greyed out on MSI afterburner, any ideas?

The voltage is greyed out on MSI afterburner, any ideas?

Like I said, the usual channels are probably all going to be dead ends.  You will most likely need to flash a custom firmware to the card, and/or a custom BIOS on your motherboard to be able to adjust it further.  These could potentially be hard to find, dangerous, and for these reasons, probably not worth doing.

Like I said, the usual channels are probably all going to be dead ends.  You will most likely need to flash a custom firmware to the card, and/or a custom BIOS on your motherboard to be able to adjust it further.  These could potentially be hard to find, dangerous, and for these reasons, probably not worth doing.

But increasing the voltage and overclocking, isn't this a pretty common thing to do inside LTT?

Or is it only easy on newer cards?

But increasing the voltage and overclocking, isn't this a pretty common thing to do inside LTT?

Or is it only easy on newer cards?

When all it takes is sliding up a slider, sure it's pretty common, but when you have to exceed the limits of the configuration in its normal form, now you are into a whole other realm.

I care about power usage to the point I'll try to overvolt a 512 MB niVidia card to avoid running my HD, but I bought a FX CPU.

sigh

You're probably better coming at this from the other end and coming up a MSI Afterburner profile that undervolts and detunes your HD for your classic games.  Load that profile for games and load its normal profile for modern games.  Lots of bitcoiner miners would volt down down into .7 to .85 volts with clocks in 600 to 775 MHz range to save power and temp output.  

I care about power usage to the point I'll try to overvolt a 512 MB niVidia card to avoid running my HD, but I bought a FX CPU.

sigh

You're probably better coming at this from the other end and coming up a MSI Afterburner profile that undervolts and detunes your HD for your classic games.  Load that profile for games and load its normal profile for modern games.  Lots of bitcoiner miners would volt down down into .7 to .85 volts with clocks in 600 to 775 MHz range to save power and temp output.  

Still saves more power than using the beastly HD 6990. haha :lol: :lol:

I've turned it up to 620 MHz

and memory to 550MHz.

Guess this is all it can take.

Still better than some Intel HD Graphics I guess :lol: :lol:

Still better than some Intel HD Graphics I guess :lol: :lol:

Actually, that's another reason why I was wondering why you were bothering with this; I don't think you're right about that.  Any Haswell or newer chip is almost certainly more powerful, and even an ivy bridge would probably match it if not more.  Now if we're talking AMD APU's, they are even more powerful if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, that's another reason why I was wondering why you were bothering with this; I don't think you're right about that.  Any Haswell or newer chip is almost certainly more powerful, and even an ivy bridge would probably match it if not more.  Now if we're talking AMD APU's, they are even more powerful if I'm not mistaken.

Well... F¤#%

Haha :lol:

At least it will still act as a power-saving Integrated (dedicated) GPU.