Recommend Dave a laptop.

Dave :)

Hello people,

I'm in the business for a laptop / ultrabook; budget of around £1000 which is ~$1500.

Requirements / info:

• UK
  • Under or at £1000
  • Discrete GPU - doesn't have to be that good; a 650M would be more than enough
  • As slim as possible (i know you sacrifice form factor for GPU; however, there are a couple out there) - this is a big one, i can't stand bulky laptops.
  • Max. 14" screen - i don't want to be lugging around a huge monstrosity
  • Will be used for: Uni work, light gaming.
  • Intel i5 or i7
  • Decent build quality
  • SSD is a bonus but not necessary as i can always add one in at a later date.

So far my searching has narrowed down to two:

Gigabtye U2442F or Samsung Series 7 Ultra 740U3E.

Both fit my criteria well - the Gigabyte has better specs, but sacrifices panel and resolution quality for it, aswell as having a below par keyboard. Whereas the Samsung has good build quality, a better battery, Slimmer and lighter in exchange for a worse CPU and GPU.

I've looked at Haswell with no dGPU but none have really taken my fancy.

If you have any opinions on either of the two i have suggested, or any recommendations, i would love to hear them so please post below.

I need to purchase pretty soon (i.e this week) so waiting for further models such as Gigabyte P35K is not really an option unfortunately.

Thanks for reading.

Easy , Sony Vaio pro 13.3''

Why you may ask?

• One of the most beatyfull laptops ever built IMO
  • PCIe SSD so 800~1GB Read/Write
  • Gorgeous IPS 1080P display
  • Lightest laptop in the entire world/
  • You can get an option so the laptop comes with NO BLOATWARE WHATSOEVER ( Huge feature IMO)
  • Nice keyboard
  • Good sound ( I heard the sound in the store and i liked it alot)

Only reason i didn't bought it ( yet ) is i gots no moneys

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-pro/tab/overview

Sony online special offer

Buy now and double your SSD storage capacity for half price. Worth: 50 GBP

Offer ends on 19.08.2013 while stock lasts.

I would hurry up if i was you.

Damn i hate beiing broke i want that ultrabook SO BAD!

1237490243676.jpg

Interested in Business and Technology

Easy , Sony Vaio pro 13.3''

Why you may ask?

• One of the most beatyfull laptops ever built IMO
  •  
  • PCIe SSD so 800~1GB Read/Write
  •  
  • Gorgeous IPS 1080P display
  •  
  • Lightest laptop in the entire world/
  •  
  • You can get an option so the laptop comes with NO BLOATWARE WHATSOEVER ( Huge feature IMO)
  •  
  • Nice keyboard
  •  
  • Good sound ( I heard the sound in the store and i liked it alot)
  •  

Only reason i didn't bought it ( yet ) is i gots no moneys

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-pro/tab/overview

I would hurry up if i was you.

Damn i hate beiing broke i want that ultrabook SO BAD!

I have ordered this 6 days ago, should be incoming next week.

If you are a student / teacher, you can enter you Student ID and get an additional 10% off.

It's made of carbon

Has an IPS 13.3" 1080p screen with Triluminous [bravia technology]

Has a Haswell 4200u / 4500u

Pcie SSD [sone do some don't doesn't matter all that much really]

You can get an extra battery that will double the battery life to 14h

You have a Wlan router in your powerbrick to connect it to ethernet + 4 devices

I payed about 850£ [1250 CHF] for:

i5 4200u

8gb ram

256 gb [free doubling from 128gb]

Wlan router in power brick

and all the other stuff mentioned above.

Sounds fine to me, so I ordered it [Tablet is fine for sheets during lectures, but showing how far I've got in my dissertation is rather annoying on a tab so I had to order an Ultrabook^^]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I have ordered this 6 days ago, should be incoming next week.

If you are a student / teacher, you can enter you Student ID and get an additional 10% off.

It's make of carbon

Has an IPS screen with Triluminous [bravia technology]

Has a Haswell 4200u / 4500u

Pcie SSD [sone do some don't doesn't matter all that much really]

You can get an extra battery that will double the battery life to 14h

You have a Wlan router in your powerbrick to connect it to ethernet + 4 devices

I payed about 850£ [1250 CHF] for:

i5 4200u

8gb ram

256 gb [free doubling from 128gb]

Wlan router in power brick

and all the other stuff mentioned above.

Sounds fine to me, so I ordered it [Tablet is fine for sheets during lectures, but showing how far I've got in my dissertation is rather annoying on a tab so I had to order an Ultrabook^^]

I want one too so badddddddddddddd , NFC touchpad OMFG and real carbon fiber used... How is sony not making a lose on this laptop lol...

Thanks for the recommendations guys. That Sony does look enticing...just the lack of dGPU worries a little. I've looked up at couple things RE: the IntelHD 4400 and it doesn't seem too bad.

As for the P35k - I can't find it anywhere in the UK, otherwise i would get that.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. That Sony does look enticing...just the lack of dGPU worries a little. I've looked up at couple things RE: the IntelHD 4400 and it doesn't seem too bad.

As for the P35k - I can't find it anywhere in the UK, otherwise i would get that.

Well you won't be able to hardcore game on the Sony one, ordered it for working purposes soooo ^^ Depends if your needs are more work or more gaming related

http://www.sony.co.uk/customise/vn-pro

Buy now and go anywhere with your free extended 18h battery + free 4 years warranty. Worth: 220 GBP

And the SSD thing wow i hate being broke , can somebody please donate me some money so that i can buy a vaio pro...

How about the Lenovo Y410p? Is it thin enough for your liking Dave?

Edit: Ok now that i look at it again, it is relatively thick >.> 

Update: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7330 has very good hardware for it's price as well, but i'm worried about the thickness factor & it isn't exactly the most elegant looking of laptops :/

http://www.sony.co.uk/customise/vn-pro

Buy now and go anywhere with your free extended 18h battery + free 4 years warranty. Worth: 220 GBP

And the SSD thing wow i hate being broke , can somebody please donate me some money so that i can buy a vaio pro...

Hmmm I got the double SSD for free, now I could have the battery... Still 50 CHF cheaper buying the battery over the double SSD... But I want it all... >< [streched my Credicard too hard, will have to wait until sept to buy the battery xD]

Hmmm I got the double SSD for free, now I could have the battery... Still 50 CHF cheaper buying the battery over the double SSD... But I want it all... >< [streched my Credicard too hard, will have to wait until sept to buy the battery xD]

4 Yeat warranty...................... What kind of sourcery is this lol? 4 year warranty is like giving away the laptop kinda...

4 Yeat warranty...................... What kind of sourcery is this lol? 4 year warranty is like giving away the laptop kinda...

Well you got 2 years anyways. So... ^^

Well you got 2 years anyways. So... ^^

But 4 is just....... I mean what company does that can you please send me some money so i can buy a vaio pro :P I will pay you back when i'm done with university and have a good job ...

But 4 is just....... I mean what company does that can you please send me some money so i can buy a vaio pro :P I will pay you back when i'm done with university and have a good job ...

I would if I had any money xD Same problem as you, few years to go before I go actually work :P

Hello people,

I'm in the business for a laptop / ultrabook; budget of around £1000 which is ~$1500.

Requirements / info:

• UK
  • Under or at £1000
  • Discrete GPU - doesn't have to be that good; a 650M would be more than enough
  • As slim as possible (i know you sacrifice form factor for GPU; however, there are a couple out there) - this is a big one, i can't stand bulky laptops.
  • Max. 14" screen - i don't want to be lugging around a huge monstrosity
  • Will be used for: Uni work, light gaming.
  • Intel i5 or i7
  • Decent build quality
  • SSD is a bonus but not necessary as i can always add one in at a later date.

So far my searching has narrowed down to two:

Gigabtye U2442F or Samsung Series 7 Ultra 740U3E.

Both fit my criteria well - the Gigabyte has better specs, but sacrifices panel and resolution quality for it, aswell as having a below par keyboard. Whereas the Samsung has good build quality, a better battery, Slimmer and lighter in exchange for a worse CPU and GPU.

I've looked at Haswell with no dGPU but none have really taken my fancy.

If you have any opinions on either of the two i have suggested, or any recommendations, i would love to hear them so please post below.

I need to purchase pretty soon (i.e this week) so waiting for further models such as Gigabyte P35K is not really an option unfortunately.

Thanks for reading.

Haven't decided yet ? Remember today is the last day you can get the awesome 4 year warranty deal.

I don't own one of these but I'd recommend this, looks pretty good and the specs are nice, comes with a Haswell Core i7-4702MQ and a GeForce GTX 760M :) -----> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/14-msi-ge40-2oc-024uk-dragon-eyes-24ghz-intel-core-i7-4700mq-8gb-mem-750gb-hdd-2gb-gtx-760m-dvdrw-wi

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought that Samsung i posted. It may not be the most powerful - certainly the CPU and GPU aren't the best, however, it will be suffice for my needs. I would have gone with the Sony, but they had a delivery date for the 5th of September which won't work, and i would want to configure my own. The MSI was nice just too bulky - a problem i've found on many occasion.

Thanks for all your help.