Photoshop CC smoke effect

kristofk
Go to solution Solved by RedSphyxis,

Hello,

I found a really good picture online of a tatto:

attachicon.gifspade_made_out_of_smoke_tattoo_by_hellymr-d4xjs92.jpg

And I wan't to create this in photoshop, I lookd on youtube and google for shapes out of smoke and smoke effect in adoube photoshop cc but I couldn't find anything. Can you guys give me a good tutorial?

Or at least give me a picture to work with and filters I should apply. Or should I start this from scratch?

I also found the digital version:attachicon.gif0dc20222914623.56046fd18b006.jpg

1. Try and Find a good Ace of spades vector image. Even a rasterized one is fine you'll only need it as a guide.
  2. create a new file with a transparent background the specs are up to you.
  3. now using the pen tool try and recreate the dark/smoke dense parts of the ace of spades by tracing on the image you found. Preferably try and trace the right side and bottom left side of the ace of spades(The areas on the image you wanted to make.)
  4.  after tracing it out using the pen tool, create a shape out of it (Well be calling it "Shape1"). and fill that shape with black no strokes
  5. remove the image of the ace of spades you used as a guide.
  6. NExt we need to make the smoke coming out of Shape1 you just made. You can technically use any brush, but this brush is fairly common for those smoke effects. Get it here http://www.brusheezy.com/brushes/1772-smoke-set
  7. Once finished downloading and installing the brush, Simply try and experiment with the brush first whether it's the hardness, the size etc.
  8. edit: I forgot that you should have the layers for Shape1 and Brush effects separately. 
  9. Once you got the hang of it try and create your own smoke effects that will be coming out of Shape1. You can copy the ones in the photo you want to imitate.
  10. edit: Decrease the opacity of the Shape 1 layer to your liking. You can still change it after step 11 if it doesn't suit you.
  11. once finished use the smudge tool to smudge Shape1 and create the smoking effect similar to the dense parts in the sample image

That is basically a rough plan I've made. Obviously, trying to copy the sample image is pretty much impractical so it's better to make it your own and experiment on it. You can also adjust the levels to your bidding/

and this plan assumes you already know how to use the pen tool.

@XTankSlayerX not really tricky this just looks like a daunting task. But you can easily imitate this using the pen tool, a brush of your choice, and the smudge tool.

edit: as I've said this was just a rough plan, what I would do personally on the fly. Some complications may arise. For example, you might not like the smoke effects created using the smudge tool. You can try to cover for it  using the brush I gave you.

Hello,

post-68380-0-36595600-1445693282.jpg

And I wan't to create this in photoshop, I lookd on youtube and google for shapes out of smoke and smoke effect in adoube photoshop cc but I couldn't find anything. Can you guys give me a good tutorial?

Or at least give me a picture to work with and filters I should apply. Or should I start this from scratch?

I also found the digital version:post-68380-0-86446100-1445693512.jpg

Hello,

attachicon.gifspade_made_out_of_smoke_tattoo_by_hellymr-d4xjs92.jpg

I also found the digital version:attachicon.gif0dc20222914623.56046fd18b006.jpg

1. Try and Find a good Ace of spades vector image. Even a rasterized one is fine you'll only need it as a guide.
  2. create a new file with a transparent background the specs are up to you.
  3. now using the pen tool try and recreate the dark/smoke dense parts of the ace of spades by tracing on the image you found. Preferably try and trace the right side and bottom left side of the ace of spades(The areas on the image you wanted to make.)
  4.  after tracing it out using the pen tool, create a shape out of it (Well be calling it "Shape1"). and fill that shape with black no strokes
  5. remove the image of the ace of spades you used as a guide.
  6. NExt we need to make the smoke coming out of Shape1 you just made. You can technically use any brush, but this brush is fairly common for those smoke effects. Get it here http://www.brusheezy.com/brushes/1772-smoke-set
  7. Once finished downloading and installing the brush, Simply try and experiment with the brush first whether it's the hardness, the size etc.
  8. edit: I forgot that you should have the layers for Shape1 and Brush effects separately. 
  9. Once you got the hang of it try and create your own smoke effects that will be coming out of Shape1. You can copy the ones in the photo you want to imitate.
  10. edit: Decrease the opacity of the Shape 1 layer to your liking. You can still change it after step 11 if it doesn't suit you.
  11. once finished use the smudge tool to smudge Shape1 and create the smoking effect similar to the dense parts in the sample image

That is basically a rough plan I've made. Obviously, trying to copy the sample image is pretty much impractical so it's better to make it your own and experiment on it. You can also adjust the levels to your bidding/

and this plan assumes you already know how to use the pen tool.

@XTankSlayerX not really tricky this just looks like a daunting task. But you can easily imitate this using the pen tool, a brush of your choice, and the smudge tool.

edit: as I've said this was just a rough plan, what I would do personally on the fly. Some complications may arise. For example, you might not like the smoke effects created using the smudge tool. You can try to cover for it  using the brush I gave you.

Edited by RedSphyxis

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

You can usually find smoke effects as custom brushes that produce smoke effects

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3