are g2a and reddit legit places to get software keys?

asiancorruption

I was considering if those sources were okay to buy windows off of cause I'm trying to see how much my build would end up costing. If these places are not reliable/ safe sources, i'll just buy the student edition for $80.

I was considering if those sources were okay to buy windows off of cause I'm trying to see how much my build would end up costing. If these places are not reliable/ safe sources, i'll just buy the student edition for $80.

Reliable/safe yes, legal no.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Are you sure it isn't the other way around?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

oh, why isn't it legal? A lot of people on the forums recommend it as being a good way to get a key so i thought it was okay.

its legal. its called gray market.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

oh, i kinda figured it was that, thanks.

oh, why isn't it legal? A lot of people on the forums recommend it as being a good way to get a key so i thought it was okay.

They aren't, cos they are MSDN keys and they are not for sale.  Your license lasts as long as the seller pays MS for their MSDN license, and expires when they stop, and MSDN keys are NOT for sale.  They work, but they are not legal.

OEM Keys MUST be sold WITH a new system, not by themselves, unless you are an authorized reseller, selling to system builders. In the latter case, they are sold as sealed packs. Selling a key by itself is not legal in any way. 

And then theres msdn keys.....

Not that I really care, I'm just saying. 

And, if someone finds fault with that, its also against Terms of Use to use OEM keys for your own personal computers. So, 90% of LTT users are technically breaking terms of use. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

They aren't, cos they are MSDN keys and they are not for sale.  Your license lasts as long as the seller pays MS for their MSDN license, and expires when they stop, and MSDN keys are NOT for sale.  They work, but they are not legal.

so, it's not legal and not reliable either?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

OEM Keys MUST be sold WITH a new system, not by themselves, unless you are an authorized reseller, selling to system builders. In the latter case, they are sold as sealed packs. Selling a key by itself is not legal in any way. 

And, if someone finds fault with that, its also against Terms of Use to use OEM keys for your own personal computers. So, 90% of LTT users are technically breaking terms of use. 

so if microsoft finds out you have a OEM key, will they disable windows or at the very least, not provide you with support?

so, it's not legal and not reliable either?

You get the key, it's reliable in that sense.  But how long your license will last depends on the seller, and either way the seller actually selling it to you is already not legal.

How long are MSDN keys supposed to last?

I got a windows 8 license way back when from it and it still works

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so if microsoft finds out you have a OEM key, will they disable windows or at the very least, not provide you with support?

No, they can only go after the seller, because you are, in that situation, a 'victim of counterfeiting'

Possibly the latter. 

If you did not lie and said "Yes, I bought my key from Frankie 34 on reddit, and I Installed on my personal computer and have no sticker" they will at least not support you. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You get the key, it's reliable in that sense.  But how long your license will last depends on the seller, and either way the seller actually selling it to you is already not legal.

Well by my standards that is "not reliable".  If there is always some chance lingering that my key could deactivate at any time, I would not be comfortable with that at all.

How long are MSDN keys supposed to last?

I got a windows 8 license way back when from it and it still works

As long as the seller pays the MSDN license fees to have access to MSDN.

Microsoft also is not terribly active in revoking older MSDN keys.  They've always tolerated a certain amount of piracy on the grounds piracy still means market share.  I say this not to encourage such activity, but rather because lots of people have been lulled into a false sense of security by the fact Microsoft is not terribly active in cracking down on MSDN key abuse.  All it takes is one change in corporate policy, one engineer being told to hit the revoke switch, and lots of people would find their OS going poof.