GTX 980TI G1 GAMING OC

nunocv

Hey guys, so i've built a PC for a friend, I've been learning by myself about PC components and stuff, since I'm a computer engineer student and they dont teach us much of it, just mostly programming.

Nevertheless, everything went fine, windows and drivers installed, OC time!

I didnt increase voltage, because my friend didnt want me too, so I OC it until it couldnt go more, and reduced some MHz to avoid crashes, And then i noticed, the freaking monster boosts clock to 1667MHz, the base clock is 1190, and boosts to 1279MHz(it is in gigabyte webpage), I just did a 90Mhz+ in Afterburner, and the freaking monster boosts to 1667MHz, how is this even possible? It passed all benchmarks, Heaven Engine with 0 crashes, 3DMark with 0 crashes, and at 1440p! (If i remember i increased memory for 50MHz or something) And never passing 65 degrees Celcius

I've searched, and I've noticed that people obtain 1500+ boost clock, never 1600! Does this got an explanation, or my friend is just god damn lucky? 

Why did I study Haskell? 

1667 is so incredibly unlikely on ambient air, I'm guessing you used something like Unigine benchmark to get that reading. Which is wrong.

Just looking at mine, adding 90 to a base clock of 1190 would put the boost up to something approaching 1490-1500 in games depending on the exact chip you got.

166x isn't happening with only +90 added to the base clock of 1190. That includes being lucky in the Silicon lottery

1667 is so incredibly unlikely on ambient air, I'm guessing you used something like Unigine benchmark to get that reading. Which is wrong.

I'm sure I saw it in MSI Afterburner, but it was on Heaven Unigine yes

1667mhz wat.

Mine goes around 1450mhz and beyond that its iffy. If that is actually stable AF then gg

I dont know if it was an error or something, but I was watching it and I was completly mindfuck, I've messaged my friend to redo it, run a benchmark and see it in gpu z and Msi afterburner!

Why did I study Haskell? 

I would have to look up the boost tables again for a stock bios but im 99% sure thats impossible at only a +90 offset it would mean it would be boosting to 1577 pre overclocking with again im 99% sure are outside of the boost tables allowed in the bios of the card. 

If he saw this in any Unigine program and saw the clock speed there its wrong, we would need to see in afterburner or GPU-Z for confirmation of the impossible. (ie my card states its running at 1845 or something ridiculous anytime i bench in valley). 

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

I would have to look up the boost tables again for a stock bios but im 99% sure thats impossible at only a +90 offset it would mean it would be boosting to 1577 pre overclocking with again im 99% sure are outside of the boost tables allowed in the bios of the card. 

If he saw this in any Unigine program and saw the clock speed there its wrong, we would need to see in afterburner or GPU-Z for confirmation of the impossible. (ie my card states its running at 1845 or something ridiculous anytime i bench in valley). 

I was wrong then, my friend just read it all wrong, that Unigine made me look stupid. It is boosting to 1457 in tomb raider benchmark, my bad!

Why did I study Haskell? 

I was wrong then, my friend just read it all wrong, that Unigine made me look stupid. It is boosting to 1457 in tomb raider benchmark, my bad!

No worries, 1457 is still quite good. Alot of people get tricked by unigine's terrible clock speed reporting. 

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

No worries, 1457 is still quite good. Alot of people get tricked by unigine's terrible clock speed reporting. 

But mine it reads just fine, I've OCd my R9 270 from 945 to 1030, and 1030 is what it shows. Let me guess, the problem is reading the boost clocks? In this case, mine doesnt have.

Why did I study Haskell? 

But mine it reads just fine, I've OCd my R9 270 from 945 to 1030, and 1030 is what it shows. Let me guess, the problem is reading the boost clocks? In this case, mine doesnt have.

It fails completely on nvidia boost2.0 clocks yes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS