Is faking sponsors illegal

Genecidalic

So me and my team were playing Dota 2 today. Doing team games and we came across a team who had flags with sponsor names on them. Including razer, and alienware. We later found out they did it for fun, but i was wondering isn't that illegal

You can buy them in the Dota 2 store for $1 I think.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

This could be seen as fraudulent behaviour, however, laws differ based on where people are in the world. It may be legal for them....

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Form your own hypothetical company and sponsor yourself

problem solved

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

So me and my team were playing Dota 2 today. Doing team games and we came across a team who had flags with sponsor names on them. Including razer, and alienware. We later found out they did it for fun, but i was wondering isn't that illegal

You mean like this right?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121744600

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

If it is, I bet Razer and Alienware wouldn't do much about it, unless this team gains an insane amount of popularity. 

If it is, I bet Razer and Alienware wouldn't do much about it, unless this team gains an insane amount of popularity. 

Well their team was total garbage so i doubt that would happen

Sponsors give team credibility. I doubt company's care if someone uses their logo. It's free advertisement for them. For team using those logos getting sponsor later can be hard if company find out that they have been faking sponsoring. This is bit of problem in esports orbs also. Nobody believes org unless they have big names sponsoring them. And they won't get big players before they have sponsors.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sponsors give team credibility. I doubt company's care if someone uses their logo. It's free advertisement for them. For team using those logos getting sponsor later can be hard if company find out that they have been faking sponsoring. This is bit of problem in esports orbs also. Nobody believes org unless they have big names sponsoring them. And they won't get big players before they have sponsors.

Okay thats all i was wondering. Although it would be really cool to get legit sponsors

as an Ex pro in the European gaming league. i will say it is illeagle to use fake sponsors. when i played i have several sponsors from like Eset, Amd, Corsair and Monster energy.

before that we used local businesses to help fund are trips.

Character artist in the Games industry.

It might be, depends on the legislation in the origin country 

as an Ex pro in the European gaming league. i will say it is illeagle to use fake sponsors. when i played i have several sponsors from like Eset, Amd, Corsair and Monster energy.

before that we used local businesses to help fund are trips.

Ex-pro? What did you play?

Ex-pro? What did you play?

tf2 (Ranked 19th in the EU)

l4d series (was ranked 5th in the EU)

cod 4 (Ranked 14th in the EU)

battlefield series (Ranked 31st in the EU)

starcraft series (Ranked 130th in the EU)

wow you kicked ass. I didnt know l4d had rankings

Also i was wondering how do you get into the competitive scene in gaming.

Also i was wondering how do you get into the competitive scene in gaming

LAN tournaments... in the UK the registered lans are StratLan and the Iseries which are part of the WCG and MLG. not sure what the rest of the worlds are called

LAN tournaments... in the UK the registered lans are StratLan and the Iseries which are part of the WCG and MLG. not sure what the rest of the worlds are called

Wish we had some of those around where i live

I'd suggest you call the Cyber Police right away!

WCG has lost most of its credibility since they have dropped so many major pc games. Last big news from them were dropping all pc titles and then few weeks after (I guess Samsung was one to vote for it) they wanted to take 2-3 pc games back. Their sytem for qualifications sucks also. WCG is supposed to be Olympics of esports but they don't have national qualifiers for all games. Last time I heard there was one qualifer for all Nordics (Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and only two best teams got throught (or players in sc2). Not really fair imo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think title is a bit exaggerated, they didn't claim they were sponsored and signed up to LAN events or tournaments (dont know how would that even be possible), they just had a brand logo and were playing in public matches online, what about the countless other people who have company logos as their profile pictures and have brand names as their clan tags? or even worse, have actual names of clans as their clan tag? Its not a big deal, don't over think it.

And maybe they like those brands? ;p, and really come on, you know they're not sponsored, I know that they're not, everybody knows that they're not, what harm does it really do if they have flags with brand logos on them?

I'm currently thinking how to tell people easy way what my rig is running on without using sponsored (since I'm not). Is powered neutral for that or does it still sound like they gave me stuff free to use?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv