Front Panel Sound Card/Audio Interface?

Greetings,

I currently own a hefty Tascam US-1800 as my primary audio interface for production work. However, that's almost permanently hooked up to the setup in the studio, and I was considering adding an audio interface to my build (located elsewhere) for convenience.

Initially, I thought I'd go with a smaller USB interface like my 1800, but I don't have a whole lot of space, and am a bit of a sucker for neatness. While I'm aware of sound-cards, I was wondering if anyone might know about an interface that fits in one of your case's 5.25" or 3.5" external drive bays, effectively creating a front-panel audio interface, giving me quicker and easier access to connections and such.

I've seen several USB 3.0 hubs that work in this way, fitting into an external drive bay and connecting to a USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. I was curious as to whether there were any audio interfaces or sound cards that functioned similarly, with perhaps a couple of XLR and/or line inputs.

Regards,
Aereldor.

I haven't heard of such a device. Seems unlikely given the opportunities for interference inside a computer case.

I haven't heard of such a device. Seems unlikely given the opportunities for interference inside a computer case.

I don't think being inside a computer case would cause interference in of itself. If it's next to an electronic component that emits a lot of EMI, that's different.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't think being inside a computer case would cause interference in of itself. If it's next to an electronic component that emits a lot of EMI, that's different.

Thus why I said "opportunities". Being in a 5.25" bay provides the "opportunity" to be adjacent to other electronics.

Thus why I said "opportunities". Being in a 5.25" bay provides the "opportunity" to be adjacent to other electronics.

The device itself should be shielded IMO, if it exists.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

plenty exist

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5.25+audio+interface&sprefix=5.25+audio+interface%2Caps%2C152&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A5.25+audio+interface

EDIT: nvm, reread post

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Good point about the shielding. Besides, stuff like Phantom Power (+48v) for condenser microphones will make it harder to find a front-panel solution. Most audiophiles, musicians, and producers invest in external interfaces anyway, so it's definitely a niche product that caters to a specific market consisting of mostly computer enthusiasts who also dabble in production (or vice-versa), or custom builders working for audio producers specifically. Furthermore, most of 'Dem darned casuals' will choose to invest in a USB mic instead, as they have no need for production-specific features like live multitracking or varied inputs.

Still, I can't help but think it might be interesting. Maybe a DIY solution, if anyone's brave enough, hooked up to a USB header on the motherboard or something similar.

Good point about the shielding. Besides, stuff like Phantom Power (+48v) for condenser microphones will make it harder to find a front-panel solution. Most audiophiles, musicians, and producers invest in external interfaces anyway, so it's definitely a niche product that caters to a specific market consisting of mostly computer enthusiasts who also dabble in production (or vice-versa), or custom builders working for audio producers specifically. Furthermore, most of 'Dem darned casuals' will choose to invest in a USB mic instead, as they have no need for production-specific features like live multitracking or varied inputs.

Still, I can't help but think it might be interesting. Maybe a DIY solution, if anyone's brave enough, hooked up to a USB header on the motherboard or something similar.

Yeah, small DAC plus usb header to usb and a little modification could get it in the 5.25" bay cleanly

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 1 year later...

i wish there were some, it would be pretty cool. The closest thing i can think of is a high end sound card for the rear IO, but they're pretty minimal still and usually dont have xlr support

There are many audio interfaces (especially the USB flavor) that NEARLY fit... most are too wide for a 5.25" slot. Maybe it's possible with some case modding.

A List of professional PC audio equipment: https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_interfaces1.html

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

• 5 years later...

I was looking for this very thing, and sent a request to Behringer, asking if they had such a product or if they could take one of their current models (giving the example of the U-Phoria UMC202HD) and reworking it into a 5.25" drive bay form factor using either a usb dip connector to connect directly to one of the motherboard's usb junctions, OR connect to a PCIe slot.   They said that they forwarded the request to their devs, and that they do not currently have such a product.

...point of me posting this - They forwarded the request to the devs.

Pick a brand and send a request.  There's TONS of us who've got an empty 5.25" drive bay and a desire to reduce desk clutter.