First Performance Results of Radeon R9 380X Close to 290

HKZeroFive

Even a 290 can now beat a 780ti in Battlefront, which isn't VRAM limited. So support or not, having an NVidia card for more than a year is bad for your performance. Problem is that hardware reviewers like this site, is that they never review cards older than a year.

One game... For most the 780TI still goes toe to toe with the 290X.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That's a lie. AMD has nothing more powerful than a 960. The Fury X is that far behind ;) Look! 4000 Coars!!!

1. What do you smoke

2. where can I get it

390 is close to 290 and 380x is close to 290? AMD filling non-existing gaps again.

380x is close to a 290

390 is close to a 290X

390X is close to a 980

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1. What do you smoke

2. where can I get it

Sarcasm and Parody are not difficult concepts to grasp.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well when you have no tone to listen to, since it's a text board, and with you back history of posting non sense... it's normal that people don't think you are being sacastic. Even for some of them that doesn't even come to their minds.

So I think you shouldn't throw that to peoples faces, like a defense of yours, when you are the one to blame for people judging your posts the way they judge.

Just sayin'.

/s is your friend. Even though I believe you, it's always the communicators responsibility to be understood.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well when you have no tone to listen to, since it's a text board, and with you back history of posting non sense... it's normal that people don't think you are being sacastic. Even for some of them that doesn't even come to their minds.

So I think you shouldn't throw that to peoples faces, like a defense of yours, when you are the one to blame for people judging your posts the way they judge.

Just sayin'.

Oh BS and a half. If you can't be bothered to understand forum threads are themselves collections of conversations and don't bother to get the context, it's your fault. It's so obvious going back just 2 posts further I was being a complete parody.

I have no history of posting nonsense.

/s is your friend. Even though I believe you, it's always the communicators responsibility to be understood.

It's also the reader's responsibility to get context and go back up the chain since most stories only make sense going from beginning to end. Causality, flow, and all that... :rolleyes:

yet somehow you do not sense the fact that I was taking part in your parody

Sarcasm is like a good fart. The tone can make the outcome great or disastrous 

Sarcasm is like a good fart. The tone can make the outcome great or disastrous 

... :blink:

Oh BS and a half. If you can't be bothered to understand forum threads are themselves collections of conversations and don't bother to get the context, it's your fault. It's so obvious going back just 2 posts further I was being a complete parody.

I have no history of posting nonsense.

Well actually I was surprised when you wrote something in the lines of "AMD will die in some period of time" was a joke - when you've been preaching this for so long, and spreading your dream of somehow intel buying the gpu division and NVIDIA the cpu division... that to see you claiming it was a joke/sarcastic post... I don't know, I just would never say so, because of your history.

Yes it was in the middle of something in the lines of a joke, but made me question it... like the other users.

Like I said, just don't expect to be taken lightly when the community is on the fence with your posts content.

Sure you do have a huge history of posting non sense, you also have informative posts there, but lately is mainly non sense unfortunatly - but let's not derail the topic. I was just making something clear to you that you might have not understand why people didn't get that you were joking.

Have a nice day

Well actually I was surprised when you wrote something in the lines of "AMD will die in some period of time" was a joke - when you've been preaching this for so long, and spreading your dream of somehow intel buying the gpu division and NVIDIA the cpu division... that to see you claiming it was a joke/sarcastic post... I don't know, I just would never say so, because of your history.

Yes it was in the middle of something in the lines of a joke, but made me question it... like the other users.

Like I said, just don't expect to be taken lightly when the community is on the fence with your posts content.

Sure you do have a huge history of posting non sense, you also have informative posts there, but lately is mainly non sense unfortunatly - but let's not derail the topic. I was just making something clear to you that you might have not understand why people didn't get that you were joking.

Have a nice day

AMD will go down pretty much without a doubt. If it's in less than 6 years I'll be a bit surprised.

That's not a dream. That's how the FTC would manage the bankruptcy and collapse: maximize competition by giving IP to those most able to use it without inflicting undue harm on the market at large.

You as well.

AMD will go down pretty much without a doubt. If it's in less than 6 years I'll be a bit surprised.

That's not a dream. That's how the FTC would manage the bankruptcy and collapse: maximize competition by giving IP to those most able to use it without inflicting undue harm on the market at large.

You as well.

The "AMD will die" thing as been around since 2010. People were speculating that they'd be dead by now. 5 years later, they have the better GPUs currently available.

Until you provide proof of being able to see the future, it's just random speculation.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The "AMD will die" thing as been around since 2010. People were speculating that they'd be dead by now. 5 years later, they have the better GPUs currently available.

Until you provide proof of being able to see the future, it's just random speculation.

AMD's death speculations back in 2010 were based purely on financial reasons. AMD now has structural problems as a company involving far too much managerial overhead, not to mention a lack of market presences and a less than competitive product portfolio. Not to mention they just took another 100 and some million USD loss last quarter, their biggest yet. The 300 series isn't selling in the necessary volumes to drive revenues.

"better" at a couple games. Nvidia took back the lead on Ashes of the Singularity. Sure Battlefront has AMD leading, but give it another 2 weeks and Nvidia will fix that in drivers as it historically has, just as AMD fixes all of the gameworks game performance shortcomings about a month after game releases.

AMD is at best tied with Nvidia, and frankly that should have come as no surprise to anyone. As much as we say FLOPs isn't the best way to measure a graphics card's potential, assuming the pipelines are roughly equal in strength, the higher FLOPs card wins. The only reason Fury/X is a flop is the lack of higher ROPs counts to deal with high frame rate pixel rendering and the fact HBM itself is a brute force half-baked solution to the bandwidth problem which wasn't even an issue in games in the first place but rather in compute.

HBM 2 isn't going to fair any better on latency with a doubling of the stack height and thus the exponential growth in switch complexity (and thus increases in inter-layer latency) and overall latency which may be accounted for by the clock speed increases, but it won't get around the very basic limits of signal propagation speeds.

AMD is in a financial pit with business analysts and investment banks alike saying it has massive structural issues no one in the company is seriously addressing, In 2010 people were speculating. If Zen fails, it's over. AMD doesn't have the cash reserves to last through 2019 without actual profits in the next 3 years that can offset the R&D expenses of Zen and AI which haven't yet shown in the books either.

It was speculations back then, and it is still speculations to this day. AMD always had structural problems. It is not a newcomming problem.

It is not like the previous speculations didn't have anything substantial to base their "speculations" on at the time. And yet, AMD is still here. 

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

It was speculations back then, and it is still speculations to this day. AMD always had structural problems. It is not a newcomming problem.

It is not like the previous speculations didn't have anything substantial to base their "speculations" on at the time. And yet, AMD is still here.

They had guesswork, not intimate in-house analysis of the actual company's management.

Guesswork that correlated with the in-houce analysis conclussion. AMDs management is in the better now than 5 years ago.

Lots of changes have been done to gain a healthier business model, and lots are to come.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Guesswork that correlated with the in-houce analysis conclussion. AMDs management is in the better now than 5 years ago.

Lots of changes have been done to gain a healthier business model, and lots are to come.

Better than abysmal isn't saying much. The analysis from earlier this year still says it's not workable.

I'll believe it when I see it. AMD can't afford to pay a good CEO enough to fix it.

They had guesswork, not intimate in-house analysis of the actual company's management.

Beeeecause you do? Yeaaaaaah. keep telling yourself that.....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Better than abysmal isn't saying much. The analysis from earlier this year still says it's not workable.

I'll believe it when I see it. AMD can't afford to pay a good CEO enough to fix it.

This is not something that can be done in the short term.

We have been seen it. AMD have been through a lot of changes.

Maybe the should hire you? You could solve it elegantly, right?  :P

We all have access to the same information. He just interpret it differently..

Maybe the should hire you? You could solve it elegantly, right?  :P

We all have access to the same information. He just interpret it differently..

Give him a few minutes, he'll be explaining how he's the CEO of AMD..... Wouldn't be the first time.

No, because the analysts who published the pretty damning report in early September do.

Maybe the should hire you? You could solve it elegantly, right? :P

We all have access to the same information. He just interpret it differently..

Access to and knowledge of information are not equivalent, and where Intel and Micron are concerned I do have access to privileged information which you don't.

AMD has undergone no significant structural changes other than the Radeon split which is small potatoes compared to what needs to happen which is a complete overhaul of the management structure and streamlining of every step. It could be done overnight. The formulae exist and the algorithms are simple. Don't add complexity where it isn't needed, end of discussion. Start from bedrock and justify every single managerial position you think you want. That sort of analysis can be done in a matter of days. Writing pink slips takes a day. Writing new contracts to shift managers around takes a month with a half decent lawyer, of which AMD has a team.

I'm sorry this isn't difficult to address; you just need a CEO with a backbone to do it.

Access to and knowledge of information are not equivalent, and where Intel and Micron are concerned I do have access to privileged information which you don't.

AMD has undergone no significant structural changes other than the Radeon split which is small potatoes compared to what needs to happen which is a complete overhaul of the management structure and streamlining of every step. It could be done overnight. The formulae exist and the algorithms are simple. Don't add complexity where it isn't needed, end of discussion. Start from bedrock and justify every single managerial position you think you want. That sort of analysis can be done in a matter of days. Writing pink slips takes a day. Writing new contracts to shift managers around takes a month with a half decent lawyer, of which AMD has a team.

I'm sorry this isn't difficult to address; you just need a CEO with a backbone to do it.

Which you have lacked any opportunity to show for. That shows how valuable it have been..

AMD have undergone tons of structural changes. Radeon split was only a recent one. Most don't really make the tech news.

Be certain, that a lot of things have changed, and lots are to come. From anything from AMDs product portfolio, to targeted-markets, to management, marketing, have all undergone greater changes towards a healthier business model.

Could be done overnight? Oh yeah, sure kiddo.

I can imagine the responsible person(s) at AMD going:

"Shit it is friday, and we haven't really looked into that radeon split yet, I'll just put on some new intern or something to deal with it, whatever"

Complexity is most certainly needed in this situations. When you are dealing with things at these levels, complexity is almost inevitable.

Sure, that is all to it. "Real men have fabs" and all that BS almost driving the company to the ground.

Why don't you just go for it? You make it seems so easy.

Yet in real life, the story is rather different.

Your bias so obvious and so very disturbing. Just to watch you squirm, I want to see Intel and Nvidea take a huge hit in profits when AMD comes back next year, all guns blazing with their Arctic islands and Zen CPU.