usb on my router

daividg

hi i am new to networking i need to know if the usb on my router will let me connect a usb hdd to make a network hardrive and if yes it would be awesome to see some video tutorial. 

best regards

no

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

hi i am new to networking i need to know if the usb on my router will let me connect a usb hdd to make a network hardrive and if yes it would be awesome to see some video tutorial. 

best regards

Well that depends. It would help if you included what router you have? Like, I have the Netgear N300. It has a USB port on the back and yes you can plug in a external hard drive. This will allow you to access it via your network. You can then map that network drive in Windows so that you can access it from your computer connected to the network. As for a video; again it would help to know what router you have. The best thing to do is go to youtube.com and search with the brand and model. There's likely a video. I know there is for mine.

best regards

Check your routers manual. You can find it online by doing an easy google search

I like potatoes, if you don't then please just step aside and let me enjoy this potato.

no

Response of the year award

best regards

Check your router's manual, my guess would be yes

that was quick responses thanks to all it helped.

best regards

The specific reason that routers have USB ports is so that they can share usb drives/printers over a network. What model router do you have? 

The specific reason that routers have USB ports is so that they can share usb drives/printers over a network. What model router do you have? 

Well yes and no, yes the majority of them have them for that reason but some only work with a 3G or 4G usb. So if your internet goes out you have a second wan to use. However, most cases it will work for a hard drive. Also what make and model of router do you have?

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

Well yes and no, yes the majority of them have them for that reason but some only work with a 3G or 4G usb. So if your internet goes out you have a second wan to use. However, most cases it will work for a hard drive. Also what make and model of router do you have?

You're absolutely correct; some of the smaller "travel routers" have USB ports that only support 3g/4g USB sticks, but since those are usually the exception to the rule, i purposely didn't mention them for simplicity's sake.