What Linux distro for me and my friend?

Go to solution Solved by Wtalk2,

I'm a type of person that will give up if something is too difficult/stressful, maybe once I'm more experience I could move onto Arch? 

If that's the type of person you are then I would probably grab Fedora until you are a bit more experienced and then move onto Arch. Make sure to do a lot of experimenting and customizing of your Fedora installation so you can actually learn the in's and out's of Linux and not just stick with what is given to you.

So @yung metal and I are wanting to get into Linux and do stuff with Python and maybe even C#. We have been looking at Mint, Arch and Fedora, we're looking for easy setup but has heaps of features. And supports a 390 and an 970 (My friend has the 970) Thanks guys.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Honestly I would just jump right into Arch Linux. It has a crazy steep learning curve but once you get the hang of everything it will be easy and you will truly understand what makes up your Linux installation and it will have only the stuff you want and chose to install.

PS: C# programming on Linux is pretty garbage. Just run Windows in a VM from your Linux installation whenever you want to mess around with C#. Python works fine under Linux though.

PPS: If you really want easy setup then go with Fedora or Mint but I highly suggest Arch so you learn what a Linux system is actually made up of instead of just having a cookie-cutter installation.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Honestly I would just jump right into Arch Linux. It has a crazy steep learning curve but once you get the hang of everything it will be easy and you will truly understand what makes up your Linux installation and it will have only the stuff you want and chose to install.

PS: C# programming on Linux is pretty garbage. Just run Windows in a VM from your Linux installation whenever you want to mess around with C#. Python works fine under Linux though.

PPS: If you really want easy setup then go with Fedora or Mint but I highly suggest Arch so you learn what a Linux system is actually made up of instead of just having a cookie-cutter installation.

I'm a type of person that will give up if something is too difficult/stressful, maybe once I'm more experience I could move onto Arch? 

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

If that's the type of person you are then I would probably grab Fedora until you are a bit more experienced and then move onto Arch. Make sure to do a lot of experimenting and customizing of your Fedora installation so you can actually learn the in's and out's of Linux and not just stick with what is given to you.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Thanks mayne!

Last of all, it's support by both AMD and NVIDIA drivers, will we have to do some tweaking?

Thanks mayne!

Last of all, it's support by both AMD and NVIDIA drivers, will we have to do some tweaking?

You will likely have to do a bit of tweaking to get the drivers working perfectly but both cards are supported and will 100% work under Linux.

My Current Build: 

You will likely have to do a bit of tweaking to get the drivers working perfectly but both cards are supported and will 100% work under Linux.

I can't find any good guides on how to install AMD drivers on Fedora 22, I'm also getting hangs on Fedora where it will freeze for about 20 seconds then the screen will go black for a second or two then everything will be normal again. This is the first time with Linux besides that time I had a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7 back in 2011/12, but I didn't use it much.

Check my signature, I've had that poll up for a long time. I personally would use arch but start off on ubuntu or fedora

Check my signature, I've had that poll up for a long time. I personally would use arch but start off on ubuntu or fedora

I'd try Arch but it just looks very confusing.

I'd try Arch but it just looks very confusing.

It's just the setup thats kinda hard

It's just the setup thats kinda hard

I still have the ISO, I'll format my Fedora install and try Arch (i haven't done much with Fedora yet so I won't matter if I format)

I still have the ISO, I'll format my Fedora install and try Arch (i haven't done much with Fedora yet so I won't matter if I format)

You will need to read a guide on installing arch. There's no automatic setup or wizard

You will need to read a guide on installing arch. There's no automatic setup or wizard

Which is why I'm skeptical to install it, I might fuck up my windows install.

Which is why I'm skeptical to install it, I might fuck up my windows install.

Maybe just go with fedora then. Atleast back up important stuff. You could always make a VM as well

Maybe just go with fedora then. Atleast back up important stuff. You could always make a VM as well

Well It's on an SSD and I'm installing Arch on a HDD, I'll just unplug my SSD to be safe.

I'm going to give Antergos a go, it's built on Arch and has a graphic installer so It might be something for me to learn about and then transition into Arch.

EDIT: I decided to have a shot installing Arch, all went well and i'm feelin' l337 and actually went better than expected.

Edited by Muz