Looking for a Sound Card

MrNinjanachos

I've been looking for one for a while and I've tried one soundcard before but it turned out that there was something wrong with it so I sent it back... It was a Asus Xonar u7. I don't really want to buy another one so I'm looking for something different around $150. I would prefer it to be external just so I don't get any background noise but if there is a Internal soundcard that is known to have clear audio and not have a problem like that... That would also be good. I would love for it to have Virtual 7.1 surround sound. 

By definition a sound card is internal. If you want an external "sound card" you want to by a DAC and AMP. There are heaps of great DACs and AMPs around the place. But if you want something with virtual 7.1 surround I would suggest the Astro Mixamp Pro. I own one and it's pretty good. But ensure that the 7.1 will work with your headset first. You can check only by searching youtube for virtual surround sound simulator for Astro Mixamp. Other than that I would recommend the Fiio e10k and using something like Razer Surround Sound for virtual surround.

I've been looking for one for a while and I've tried one soundcard before but it turned out that there was something wrong with it so I sent it back... It was a Asus Xonar u7. I don't really want to buy another one so I'm looking for something different around $150. I would prefer it to be external just so I don't get any background noise but if there is a Internal soundcard that is known to have clear audio and not have a problem like that... That would also be good. I would love for it to have Virtual 7.1 surround sound. 

I was thinking about the astro mix amp but I wasnt sure if it was compatible with other headphones... I'm getting  a ATH-50x. would you know off the top of your head if these headphones will work with the 7.1?

I'm now probably going to get DT770's but the astro mixamp pro's don't give enough power for the headphones...

The Astro mixamp can drive those just fine but I dont recommend the mixamp for the pc unless you also want to use the mic input and even then I still cant recommend it (the old model has nice features that can be useful for pc use but not the new models). I have the older mixamp and it works great with my DT 770 80's and modmic. But its costs too much to recommend. I got it when I was mostly playing the 360. And for console use it was worth it. The pc however has a lot more options that cost less and perform just as well or much better. 

I recommend using your onboard sound first. Most are good. So test yours first before spending money on something you might not need. As for 7.1 sound. Try the Razer 7.1 software. I havent personally  tried it but it gets good user reviews and its free (for the non pro version) so its worth a try.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

alright cool, thanks. also is there a difference between the DT 770 80's and DT 770 250's?