Pascal or Wait?

obscureaudio

Hello all LTT fans, ad forum members. This is my first post, and only because I need advice, not data. I can get data on Google. I am good at this, and I know what my price points and needs are.

..But I need to know what to upgrade in my GPU...

I have an EVGA GTX 950 FTW that simply wont cut it in the future, so I am preparing my wallet now for the upgrade. Now, and important note, I'm running a Hackintosh, and this is of the utmost importance. I refuse to use Windows. No flame wars please ;) , just my opinion. My new card needs to be compatible and fairly easy to install (as the 950 was). My options at my price are a 980, soon, and SLI later (I'm aware of lack of OSX compatibility), or wait for Pascal architecture. 

My gaming is new and not very demanding, although new titles are enticing me (No Mans Sky, Ark Survival, etc.) so I can wait for Pascal if I need to. Will it be of benefit? I am aware of the upgraded compute performance, but does any seasoned graphics user have an idea as to what will happen? Computing with GPU is great, but I want it to game. If a 980 will better because of current availability, price drops, etc? or should I wait to get better performance?

Of course none of this is concrete, I want to upgrade to x99, or the next extreme platform later down the road when I have a better job and housing (still 17 making $7.75 and at home ugh.) And water cool, but the GPU is only part out of order.

Thanks all for any help, I'm pretty much by myself in this enthusiast thing... None of my peers are into this, so you guys are what I've got.

If you want then wait. Time is the most expensive thing so if you think that 980 SLI will have problems in OSX then wait for pascal but wait for updated drivers

I suggest u not waste money on an x99 if all ur doing is gaming. Don't sli because you'd need better mobo, better psu, a case to fit it with good airflow. All those costs added up would maybe be a same performance single gpu. You just need a CPU and mono that doesn't bottleneck your gpu. You'd be way more happy with a better gpu and a decent CPU/mobo rather than a really good mono and CPU and a low end gpu

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

I will be doing more than gaming, so I feel comfortable with the x99 premium. I've purchased good parts large PSU(750W), Corsair 450D that allow for growing room, I just want a strong gpu, then upgrade other parts as time permits. My problem is that I don't want to get left behind the graphics race by purchasing now, versus waiting then getting shafted with Pascal.

Thanks for the help though! I love to hear from other people.

the question is, when will Pascal be released to the market??

Q2-Q3 2016.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I will be doing more than gaming, so I feel comfortable with the x99 premium. I've purchased good parts large PSU(750W), Corsair 450D that allow for growing room, I just want a strong gpu, then upgrade other parts as time permits. My problem is that I don't want to get left behind the graphics race by purchasing now, versus waiting then getting shafted with Pascal.

Thanks for the help though! I love to hear from other people.

If I were in your place, I'd wait for Pascal. It seems like the way that it will be produced will be way more efficient and thus faster. And a 950 will keep you going just fine for a while ;)

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W