SSD vs SSD raid 0

DrZander
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

250 evo since you won't notice the difference in performance anyway.

SSDs will wipe themselves and become unusable after a few hundred petabytes have been written to it. In normal usage that's more than 15 years. Don't worry about it.

I am deciding between a 250gb ssd Samsung Evo or two 128gb ssd Adata pro in raid 0. I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. 

I have watched Linus's Youtube video comparing the two but did not fully understand the results. The raid 0 configuration was much faster but the Samsung was still declared the better ssd for some reason. I will be using the memory for gaming and school work so if anyone could shed some light that'd be great. Also, I keep hearing that ssd's can lose your data or are not safe, how true is this?

250 evo since you won't notice the difference in performance anyway.

SSDs will wipe themselves and become unusable after a few hundred petabytes have been written to it. In normal usage that's more than 15 years. Don't worry about it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well.. one thing to consider is reliability.

if you have a pool of 100 drives, and one is destined for early death.

one SSD: 1% chance you have the dud.

two SSDs: 2% chance you have the dud.

might not seem like a lot, but i'm sure you wouldnt like to lose your data, now consider you have twice the chance to lose your data when you have raid 0.

I am deciding between a 250gb ssd Samsung Evo or two 128gb ssd Adata pro in raid 0. I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. 

I have watched Linus's Youtube video comparing the two but did not fully understand the results. The raid 0 configuration was much faster but the Samsung was still declared the better ssd for some reason. I will be using the memory for gaming and school work so if anyone could shed some light that'd be great. Also, I keep hearing that ssd's can lose your data or are not safe, how true is this?

A Samsung 850 EVO 250GB would make more sense. If you have two SSDs in RAID 0 and one of them fails (assuming you haven't backed up your data), you will lose all data in that array. With a single drive, you only have one point of failure.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Raid 0 is a kludge for slow drives. Ssd's are not slow. And even better, the larger the drive the faster it is. There's no advantage to Raiding.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Raid 0 is a kludge for slow drives. Ssd's are not slow. And even better, the larger the drive the faster it is. There's no advantage to Raiding.

its not a kludge more so as a "i need more performance - but dont necessarily care about data loss"