Pokemon Red and Green are getting an animated series! :D Dreams are Real!

Vitalius
Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

So this will actualy follow the narrative from Pokemon Adventures insted of just claiming to follow it. I probably have to get into anime again.

Well, I am on Otaku, and usually anime that are one off specials are referred to as "OVAs" which does not exactly mean "one off special" but implies it, usually (there are rare exceptions).

That's not what an OVA is. FLCL are OVAs, 6 of them and each one is ~30 minutes. OVA just means that they were never shown on TV or in a theater. Specials are usually quite different from OVAs in that they might be very short (just a few minutes like with Amagami SS+) or they can be an alternative setting (like the Ore no Imouto specials where Kirino moves to America), or they might be a longer episode like with Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon (the 10 year anniversary special episode of Pokémon which was 40 minutes long) and sometimes they are completely different like the huge amount of Picture Dramas, or like with K-ON when the special episodes have a completely different animation style. Specials aren't limited to 1 episode by the way. For example the Zero no Tsukaima picture dramas are 7 episodes and they are classified as special episodes.

This is not an OVA because it seems like it will air on TV. They will probably air it all in one go though, so that means it's not a normal series, which just leaves "special(s)".

MyAnimeList has it listed as "special" as well, so we don't know what kind it will be. Might be a short series, might be like an hour long episode, might just be a few minutes long. We will just have to wait and see.

I am hoping that it will be similar to the manga (remember, it's not based on the manga, but it's based on the same source material as the manga) and that we get as much as possible (an hour long episode or something like that would be sweet, the more the better).

The official japanese pokemon website says it is a one off special

Well damn. Hope it's a long one though.

Well, the black and white 2 animation that was released can be counted as an anime (myanimelist refers to it as an original net anime.) The other 4 OVA's I've seen have been short series'.

The website says 特別番組 (tokubetsu bangumi) which means "special program".

Special program does not mean one off special. Just saying.

That's not what an OVA is. FLCL are OVAs, 6 of them and each one is ~30 minutes. OVA just means that they were never shown on TV or in a theater. Specials are usually quite different from OVAs in that they might be very short (just a few minutes like with Amagami SS+) or they can be an alternative setting (like the Ore no Imouto specials where Kirino moves to America), or they might be a longer episode like with Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon (the 10 year anniversary special episode of Pokémon which was 40 minutes long) and sometimes they are completely different like the huge amount of Picture Dramas, or like with K-ON when the special episodes have a completely different animation style. Specials aren't limited to 1 episode by the way. For example the Zero no Tsukaima picture dramas are 7 episodes and they are classified as special episodes.

This is not an OVA because it seems like it will air on TV. They will probably air it all in one go though, so that means it's not a normal series, which just leaves "special(s)".

MyAnimeList has it listed as "special" as well, so we don't know what kind it will be. Might be a short series, might be like an hour long episode, might just be a few minutes long. We will just have to wait and see.

I am hoping that it will be similar to the manga (remember, it's not based on the manga, but it's based on the same source material as the manga) and that we get as much as possible (an hour long episode or something like that would be sweet, the more the better).

Well damn. Hope it's a long one though.

Good explanation. Just saying, that is what I meant when I said "usually anime that are one off specials are referred to as "OVAs" which does not exactly mean "one off special" but implies it, usually (there are rare exceptions)". Most OVAs are usually one-three episodes from my experience. Exceptions exist but are relatively rare. 

Still, I did not know exactly what OVA meant, thanks for explaining it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Special program does not mean one off special. Just saying.

Hmm, yeah true. I stand by everything else I said :P

Nintendo are yet to announce any confirmation so we'll leave it at that ;)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Hmm, yeah true. I stand by everything else I said :P

The preview shows the beginning when Red picks Charmander, and it also shows Green using his Blastoise at what seems to be the Elite Four, so we will probably get the whole story from Red and Blue. Judging by that, it should be several episodes or a quite long (at least an hour) episode.

The preview shows the beginning when Red picks Charmander, and it also shows Green using his Blastoise at what seems to be the Elite Four, so we will probably get the whole story from Red and Blue. Judging by that, it should be several episodes or a quite long (at least an hour) episode.

I do not see how they will cram an entire 8 gym badges into that along with the Elite Four. But that is something I wanted to mention but was uncertain of. I did not notice Blastoise, but I saw the red haired guy (like, it stands straight up) with the cape and I felt like that was the Champion (guy after the Elite Four) or it could be Blaine or something. I forget, but I just knew he was somebody from waaaay into the series (last 4 gym badges or Elite Four).

At least that means it should be moderately long.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

wowowowowowoowowowo stop right there i've never heard of that red guy you guys are talking about.

is he like the original idea of a protagonist for pokemon if so my whole childhood has been a lie (no that i care pokemon the show was horrible and digimon was freaking sweet to watch)

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel

wowowowowowoowowowo stop right there i've never heard of that red guy you guys are talking about.

is he like the original idea of a protagonist for pokemon if so my whole childhood has been a lie (no that i care pokemon the show was horrible and digimon was freaking sweet to watch)

Yes, your whole childhood was a lie, because the real pokemon master that makes you and your pokemon shit your pants in fear when you meet him - is Red.

He is a lone wolf

He took down the entire Team Rocket organisation. By himself

He owned the Elite 4

Also, and he stopped a fucking train from colliding with a wall with his Snorlax and saved like 20 gym leaders (SPOILERRR)

Update: Oh yeah, and remember the time when you were playing Gold/Silver/Crystal, exploring Mt Silver & encountering a trainer that is heralded with the champion theme and throws out a fucking level 81(?) Pikachu as his first pokemon? That's Red.

2258115-emerald_brendan.png

And he never smiles.