Collaboration on Eclipse

Bernstern

I need to work on a coding project for a class I am in and I have a group of three other guys. I now about Git but I couldnt get it to work. Any other options for online collaboration or installation guides for eGit.

"This is a bad idea"

The 2 big options are git and subversion. The difference between them is git has no defined master code branch so you can treat any branch as master depending on how you use it while with subversion the first code branch becomes the master and all permanent changes should be merged back to it. There are deeper differences but that's the gist.

For either system you will need a server to host it. You can either set up your own or use a free service like GITHub as long as having your code publicly viewable is ok. With eclipse ther are several plugins to allow for integration with one of these systems, but how you have to implement it will depend on what your project looks like. Here is a plugin for eclipse specific to github.

Believe me, you will make yourself a favor if you learn git, it sometimes makes me think why all other source code VCS systems even bother. Use an online repository like GitHub or BitBucket and just learn it. When you are done learning, these VCS operations will be fast and painless.