What makes a Case , Silent ?

MLG420SwagYolo

what i read/learned so far:

Material of the case:

Steel cases because of their durability and sound proof qualities. 

Aluminium cases because lightweight and dont save heat as much as steel does.

Dampening foam: pro, less noise / con, it can get hotter inside the pc

Fans: maybe switch the fans to some good/silent ones (maybe noctua's), not stock ones in the case

PSU / Graphicscard: should be semipassive (idle no fans working only passive working, and on load, fans work)

i have a semipassive psu and graphicscard btw.

My Questions:

1. Is Dampening foam actually working/worth it?

2. What else should i look for so the Case will be a silent one?

3. Can i actually see the steel density somewhere in the description when buying cases? (because i think more density/ less noise?)

4. What Fans (120mm) are currently the best for cooling/and being silent?

5. what's more silent, a big tower atx case or a midi tower atx case?

6. are there any easy and affordable modifications with which i can make the inside maybe a bit quieter other than dampening foam?

7. can less "garbage" like those hdd slideboxes inside the case, achieve less noise or more noise?

8. can you recommend me a case ( that has a "sightwindow" , can be silent with proper fans, looks good, maybe can hide the PSU, good cable management, and that fits a h100i corsair cpu cooler and is below 150€ and also has the "spots" for an ATX Board) ?

If you want to run silently, you want to fun you fans as slow as possible and have as little fans as possible. Having bigger fans means you can run them slower than smaller and achieve the same amount of cooling. So going with a 140 over a 120 would be better. Basically, try to eliminate as many moving parts as possible. Linus has a silent pc build log that you search up and I think it goes over all of the basics.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

Or just pick up a pair of noise cancelling headphones and save yourself the trouble 

Poor excuse for a little bit of effort to make a PC quiet. Not everyone wants to wear cans, believe it or not.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Or just pick up a pair of noise cancelling headphones and save yourself the trouble 

As Linus once said, "I'm not going to wear protective ear covering to use my computer. That's ridiculous!"

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

My Questions:

1. Is Dampening foam actually working/worth it?

2. What else should i look for so the Case will be a silent one?

3. Can i actually see the steel density somewhere in the description when buying cases? (because i think more density/ less noise?)

4. What Fans (120mm) are currently the best for cooling/and being silent?

5. what's more silent, a big tower atx case or a midi tower atx case?

6. are there any easy and affordable modifications with which i can make the inside maybe a bit quieter other than dampening foam?

7. can less "garbage" like those hdd slideboxes inside the case, achieve less noise or more noise?

1: debatable if it actually "dampens" the sound, but what it sure as hell does is stop echoing inside your case. (my cheapo antec case is louder closed, than it is without sidepanels.)

2: more fan openings = more noise coming out. if the company behind the case is proud of it, thats usually a good thing as well.

3: the material of the case more so affects weigth than it does noise. good design is more important.

4: noctua fans are about as quiet you can go, but more quiet fans get more expensive REAL fast, with diminishing returns. my fractal fans are near dead silent, at about half the price of similar noctua fans.

5: the one you can cool with the least amount of fans / fan speed.

6: well.. believe it or not, regular kitchen tissues are VERY good for elliminating noise, and blocking out the echoing described before.

7: if less garbage means less air resistance, it'll mean more efficient cooling, resulting in less need for fans, so a more quiet system.

another piece of advice i'm gonna give for the silence freaks:

in a well padded case, intake fans are greatly more quiet than exhaust fans, so if you can cool your pc without exhaust fans, do it without exhaust fans.

1. Almost certainly

2. I don't think there's a formula, I'll explain in a mo

3. As far as i can see all cases use maybe 1mm thick steel, it's not going to make a difference

4. Noctuas (any of them)

5. Doesn't matter (enough)

6. Changing fan RPM

7. I doubt it makes a difference

Regarding 2, and it's related to 5:

Cases with very few holes are built to be quieter, however, the restrictive airflow meaning it's better for pressure optimized fans, which, on the flip-side creates more noise from air turbulence.

A case with lots of holes (at least in the front and back) you can use air flow fans at lower RPMs to achieve the same level of cooling with much less turbulence, but you can hear components like the HDD and GPU much more easily

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Your case can be as "silent" optimized as can be, but if you carelessly throw noisy hardware in it then you've defeated the purpose.

You can have a quiet PC whose case isn't "silent" optimized, too.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ