[Issue] USB device over current status detected

I have a problem with my old PC, and not really sure what to do with it.

It has an old Asus P5QL-E mobo and since yesterday i havent been able to use it cause every time i turn it on it gives me the following:

"USB device over current status detected. ~~~ will shut down in 15 seconds"

I've tried unplugging all front panel connectors (except power button) - no change

Tried unplugging all USB devices - it boots fine, but when i connect my devices back either 1 or none of them work.

Any ideas?

It is USB 2.0 so they should be able to deliver 500 mA. Mayby the PSU +5V USB supply rail is bad and dropps to low so the MoBo reports an error.

Could it be that the PSU or the Mobo just broke all of the sudden? it's 8 years old, which is a lot

Sure it could be the MoBo. You you have a spare PSU to test?

Nope. Nothing at all. The PSU is built in as well

Nope. Nothing at all. The PSU is built in as well

Than you will have a hard time to find the failure. Maby take the MoBo out and look is something is shorting a port.

Or do you have o powered USB hub at hand? It won't draw a lot of current since it is powered by it's own wall adapter and you can plug everything into the hub.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Than you will have a hard time to find the failure. Maby take the MoBo out and look is something is shorting a port.

Or do you have o powered USB hub at hand? It won't draw a lot of current since it is powered by it's own wall adapter and you can plug everything into the hub.

Unfortunately i can't take a look at the board myself cause i live far away, i can only ask the person to do so, but he doesn't know what to look at and etc.

What i'll try to do is disconnect everything from the back ports and try to connect them to the front one.

If it works when you unplug the USB headers but fails to function when they are plugged in, I am guessing the cable runs for the USB headers have a short somewhere.

Also might want to check your USB devices on another computer.

So i've double-checked everything. No ports are bent/broken and it looks like none of them are touching anything that they shouldnt be touching.

Plugging back the front panel headers does not change anything. When no devices are plugged in - everything works. When i start plugging stuff back (front or back panels) it stops working for some reason. 

Sometimes i can get random combinations between headset/mouse/heyboard to work, but I dont see any pattern here whatsoever 

Update: It looks like the issue was happening because of a mouse USB cable that shorted out. Still testing the PC a bit, but it looks like that was it. Thanks for suggestions everyone