Private Internet Access VPN: Yay or Nay?

Would you recommend PIA, or some other service over it?

Thanks!

Edit: I used to use Hotspot Shield, but it was pretty buggy and I wouldn't use it again.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

I used to use it. Mainly for bypassing IP bans though.

What are you using it for?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Yay i've used it for years no complaints.

[] AMD FX6300 [] R9 270X [] Corsair vengeance 16GB [] Kingston V300 240/120GB [] WD Blue 1TB [] Corsair RM650 [] Corsair H105 [] NZXT Phantom 410 [] 

I used to use it. Mainly for bypassing IP bans though.

What are you using it for?

I've not got a VPN right now, but I would use it for stuff like Netflix, also added security is a plus.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

I've not used theirs. The VPN I did use for a short time though was not that great. Cyberghost definitely had my rec until they decided to stop permitting p2p traffic about two years ago, which meant I could no longer pay for their service. They also did it rather quietly, just auto-passing people through the new TOS and updating their clients w/o consent whenever you tried to connect to the server. If they hadn't have tried to do it so stealthily i might still rec them, but it was a dickish move to continue advertising p2p traffic was allowed, but then disable it on their servers.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I've not got a VPN right now, but I would use it for stuff like Netflix, also added security is a plus.

If you want security you want a private VPN and not a free public one so PIA is a winner there

Works great for netflix i use it all the time "seattle/Germany" best servers by far :)

[] AMD FX6300 [] R9 270X [] Corsair vengeance 16GB [] Kingston V300 240/120GB [] WD Blue 1TB [] Corsair RM650 [] Corsair H105 [] NZXT Phantom 410 [] 

I've not used theirs. The VPN I did use for a short time though was not that great. Cyberghost definitely had my rec until they decided to stop permitting p2p traffic about two years ago, which meant I could no longer pay for their service. They also did it rather quietly, just auto-passing people through the new TOS and updating their clients w/o consent whenever you tried to connect to the server. If they hadn't have tried to do it so stealthily i might still rec them, but it was a dickish move to continue advertising p2p traffic was allowed, but then disable it on their servers.

How was Cyberghost other than that?

How was Cyberghost other than that?

Other than that, they had an awesome client, that was remarkable easy to use, and decently fast. The bandwidth was pretty good, and no freaking data cap. At least, I had no data cap, just a bandwidth cap.

Other than their sneaky doings, I would rec. them today.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If you want security you want a private VPN and not a free public one so PIA is a winner there

Works great for netflix i use it all the time "seattle/Germany" best servers by far :)

It's my first choice at this moment. :)

Have been using it for nearly 5 years without issue.

The windows 'app' works without issue and there are other options for 'power' users.

There's often promotions running to get it cheaper, Tek Syndicate had a voucher code a while back that may still be valid? 

I nothing but strongly recommend PIA. I pay about $40/year for their service and it's freaking outstanding. The customer service is a little iffy (the live chat is, haven't tried their ticketing system yet.. no need to as of right now).

If you use a Windows/OS X system, their client allows you to tune your security settings to your will. You can also enable DNS leak prevention and IPv6 leak prevention (two big flaws with people that simply don't know how to set up a VPN). You can also tell the client to slaughter your Internet connection if your VPN drops for some reason (happens, not often though).

Personally if I were using it on Windows I would just use their application for it as it has been well tested and rarely failed on me. The only problem with the last feature I mentioned (slaughters net if VPN drops) is that it disables DHCP and whatnot, so if for some reason your computer lost power or the stars aligned correctly, you'll have to re-enable DHCP for your main device in the event the client is failing to reconnect to the VPN services. You can also simply run a "Troubleshoot connection" on the primary network device used in your computer which will pretty much detect the problem immediately.

Or you can evade all of this trouble by using the built-in VPN client for Windows (or whatever client/OS you prefer) and setting it up that way.

As I am personally a Linux user, it's wonderful using gnome-network-manager. I haven't dropped my connection yet and I have basically no problems when it comes to connecting ever. My connection remains 100% behind the VPN and whatnot.

The server speeds are amazing as well. I don't have the best connection in the world anymore, but previous I had a 40Mbps/10Mbps (Comcast) connection and it wasn't restrained much at all. Now I only have a 17Mbps/1Mbps connection (thanks AT&T, you worthless scumbags!) and it still doesn't really lose any speed. You might lose a mbit or two, but I haven't noticed any delay. I personally always use the US-East servers, however (which are in a prime location in Manhattan).

They're pretty huge on privacy as well from what I can tell. Don't do anything too shady, though. They might not have any log retention (or so they claim), but that will probably not be enough to stop the feds from knocking on your door.

tl;dr strongly recommended.

I nothing but strongly recommend PIA. I pay about $40/year for their service and it's freaking outstanding. The customer service is a little iffy (the live chat is, haven't tried their ticketing system yet.. no need to as of right now).

If you use a Windows/OS X system, their client allows you to tune your security settings to your will. You can also enable DNS leak prevention and IPv6 leak prevention (two big flaws with people that simply don't know how to set up a VPN). You can also tell the client to slaughter your Internet connection if your VPN drops for some reason (happens, not often though).

Personally if I were using it on Windows I would just use their application for it as it has been well tested and rarely failed on me. The only problem with the last feature I mentioned (slaughters net if VPN drops) is that it disables DHCP and whatnot, so if for some reason your computer lost power or the stars aligned correctly, you'll have to re-enable DHCP for your main device in the event the client is failing to reconnect to the VPN services. You can also simply run a "Troubleshoot connection" on the primary network device used in your computer which will pretty much detect the problem immediately.

Or you can evade all of this trouble by using the built-in VPN client for Windows (or whatever client/OS you prefer) and setting it up that way.

As I am personally a Linux user, it's wonderful using gnome-network-manager. I haven't dropped my connection yet and I have basically no problems when it comes to connecting ever. My connection remains 100% behind the VPN and whatnot.

The server speeds are amazing as well. I don't have the best connection in the world anymore, but previous I had a 40Mbps/10Mbps (Comcast) connection and it wasn't restrained much at all. Now I only have a 17Mbps/1Mbps connection (thanks AT&T, you worthless scumbags!) and it still doesn't really lose any speed. You might lose a mbit or two, but I haven't noticed any delay. I personally always use the US-East servers, however (which are in a prime location in Manhattan).

They're pretty huge on privacy as well from what I can tell. Don't do anything too shady, though. They might not have any log retention (or so they claim), but that will probably not be enough to stop the feds from knocking on your door.

tl;dr strongly recommended.

That's quite a detailed response, thanks brah. :D I haven't really heard any negatives to PIA so I guess that's who I'll go with. Do you know what type of encryption is used?

Yes. Simple easy to use and has servers in most major countries. Does not log use.

I use mine for external NAS access. No issues to date.

Cant really add to @Lildirts comments, I agree with his assessment.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yes. Simple easy to use and has servers in most major countries. Does not log use.

I use mine for external NAS access. No issues to date.

Cant really add to @Lildirts comments, I agree with his assessment.

What do you mean by external NAS? Do you mean you use it to encrypt the traffic from wherever you are to your NAS offsite?

What do you mean by external NAS?

Do you mean you use it to encrypt the traffic from wherever you are to your NAS offsite?

My NAS is in my basement.

Yes.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My NAS is in my basement.

Yes.

Cool, I've got to get one sometime. Thanks for your input. :)

That's quite a detailed response, thanks brah. :D I haven't really heard any negatives to PIA so I guess that's who I'll go with. Do you know what type of encryption is used?

Actually, it's up to you!

They do provide AES and Blowfish. You can swap between them freely (obviously you have to disconnect and reconnect).

I don't run on anything less than AES256 and SHA256. There's not that much of a performance hit (with "The Burninator" rig in my sig) hardware wise.

Actually, it's up to you!

They do provide AES and Blowfish. You can swap between them freely (obviously you have to disconnect and reconnect).

I don't run on anything less than AES256 and SHA256. There's not that much of a performance hit (with "The Burninator" rig in my sig) hardware wise.

Awesome. I was hoping AES 256 was an option. Thanks for the help. :)

Overall PIA is one of the best VPN.. but PIA users have this concern that they are USA based company.. Everyone wants safety from NSA... well there are more VPN providers which based from other country.. I would suggest you to do more research.. some other country base VPN which I will suggest you.... VPNtunnel and Mullvad = Sweden Based.. VPNcreative = Denmark based.. PureVPN = Hong Kong Based.. EarthVPN = Panama based

If you think NSA isn't a big issue for you then go ahead with PIA