What should I upgrade first?

Kevin_Walter

My current rig is...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($161.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $643.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-09 12:54 EDT-0400

With that in mind, what should I upgrade first? I have around $200. (I'm pretty sure I already know what most answers will be... lol)

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

SSD. Crucial MX100 is pretty cheap but you could get something better with $200

My current rig is...

With that in mind, what should I upgrade first? I have around $200. (I'm pretty sure I already know what most answers will be... lol)

THE POWER SUPPLY ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)

Corsair CX. Just don't...

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

Get a ssd, sandisk ssd plus is a cheap solution, also kingston fury x is another one. Change the psu, like asap. Later on sell the gpu and get a 280x/285/380

The site has changed....

Nothing, just save around $750 and get yourself a new system instead.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Sell 270x and get a 290x, might be enough for another psu

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Where do you live?

6600k, Msi 980, Msi gaming m5, Corsair 8gb ddr4, Raid 0 Samsung 850 evo 250gb,1tb WD Black, Noctis 450

Hmm. I'm surprised no one has mentioned my 6300...

Also, I've had no issues with my PSU, interestingly enough.

Where do you live?

<---------

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Because you can't really improve that for $200. Unless you get a FX-8320, which is probably just a waste of money. But at least you have a good mobo to support a high end piledriver.  

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Because you can't really improve that for $200. Unless you get a FX-8320, which is probably just a waste of money. 

This^ (if you want an i5, you will have to spend more)

The site has changed....

Well thanks for the insight. I wasn't planning on upgrading my CPU anyway. I planned on allocating $400 or so to that a little further down the road.

I would like to upgrade my GPU but I don't know if I should try to get my hands on a 290 or 380 or something.

I'd imagine my CPU would bottleneck with either of those currently though.

Well thanks for the insight. I wasn't planning on upgrading my CPU anyway. I planned on allocating $400 or so to that a little further down the road.

I would like to upgrade my GPU but I don't know if I should try to get my hands on a 290 or 380 or something.

Bottlenecks in this build:

- PSU

- Storage

- CPU (slightly)

The GPU isn't THAT bad. But may need some attention

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

you would be fine up to a 960/380, but not a 290.

And as stated before, psu upgrade is a must, and later on add an ssd.

The site has changed....

you would be fine up to a 960/380, but not a 290.

And as stated before, psu upgrade is a must, and later on add an ssd.

Not a 290 because of the bottleneck, or because of my PSU? I know the 290 isn't efficient at all. I'm not really worried about the bottleneck to begin with, as I said I'll be upgrading my CPU and switching to Intel hopefully early next year.

I'm just not really sure why a new PSU is so incredibly important. Yeah, it's a budget unit, but it has performed fine for going on 2 years now, and if I stay within the power limitations for the time being, I don't see how an upgrade is necessary at the moment.

As for an SSD... I've been wanting one for a while, so maybe I will go for it.

Not a 290 because of the bottleneck, or because of my PSU? I know the 290 isn't efficient at all. I'm not really worried about the bottleneck to begin with, as I said I'll be upgrading my CPU and switching to Intel hopefully early next year.

I'm just not really sure why a new PSU is so incredibly important. Yeah, it's a budget unit, but it has performed fine for going on 2 years now, and if I stay within the power limitations for the time being, I don't see how an upgrade is necessary at the moment.

As for an SSD... I've been wanting one for a while, so maybe I will go for it.

Both.290 is power hungry and the psu will not be sufficient enough to provide the power that will be needed (gaming.overclock).It might even cause problems(shutdowns,etc the cx are known for). Also the fx will bottleneck the 290.

The site has changed....

Both.290 is power hungry and the psu will not be sufficient enough to provide the power that will be needed (gaming.overclock).It might even cause problems(shutdowns,etc the cx are known for). Also the fx will bottleneck the 290.

Okay, so let's say I upgrade my PSU. What would you guys recommend that isn't an extra huge 1200W monster that is preferably full or partial modular and doesn't eat my entire budget?

Okay, so let's say I upgrade my PSU. What would you guys recommend that isn't an extra huge 1200W monster that is preferably full or partial modular and doesn't eat my entire budget?

with MIR, maybe an Evga b2 750w (around 50 bucks) or an xfx ts 550w gold+ non modular

without mir, evga g2/gs 550-650, antec hgm 620-520, whatever suits you best and it is the cheapest

The site has changed....

I'll probably pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-220-G2-0750-XR/dp/B00IKDETOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444419828&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+G2

And spend the rest of my budget on a new wireless card, because the TP-Link one I purchased a while back is complete garbage.

Thanks.